• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Seeking mouthpiece advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pandawee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Seeking mouthpiece advice Reply with quote

I am currently using a Bach megatone 3c mouthpiece, which has been working pretty nicely for me. But I, as many high school trumpet players probably do, spend a lot of time researching other mouthpieces. I have been wanting to try them, but as most of them are fairly expensive and I could afford only one of them, I would like to ask for advice/suggestions from the people here at Trumpet Herald. Here are a couple of mouthpieces I had been looking at:

Please keep in mind that I am going to be in a college marching band next fall and hopefully in DCI in the next few summers, so I the mouthpiece I'm looking for fits in the endurance/range area.

System Blue Trumpet Mouthpiece I

A Wedge (brand) mouthpiece

A 'fitter' suggested a Chuck Findley 66 MV mouthpiece, but seeing the $200 price tag I'm a bit hesitant.

Any other suggestions would be very much appreciated.
HornnOOb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had played with a Bach Megatone 1C for a couple of years and thought it was okay but nothing overly special. I switched to a Denis Wick 1C "Heavy Top" and have been extremely happy with it for the past 8 years and counting.

If you are playing well and comfortable with the Megatone 3C, you might consider a Denis Wick 3C "Heavytop."

Severinsen Destino 3*
1971 Getzen Eterna 900S Severinsen Model
1984 Getzen Eterna 896 Flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special Cornet

Denis Wick 1C Heavytop
Getzen Flugel 3C
J-Walk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are so many options available, I think you should find a very reputable teacher to help you with this. If you can only afford one new mouthpiece, the chances of you finding it on your first try are slim to none without excellent guidance.

As many people on this forum as there are that could help, it would be impossible for anyone to give you random advice here that could help you without having a chance to work with you and a selection of appropriate mouthpieces in person.

A consultation with a skilled mouthpiece maker would be another good way to figure this out.
Adams A5
Larson Brasswerks “Reese” Model C
Schilke P5-4 picc
Courtois 154 flugel
A few mouthpieces that fit my face and horns
ohnecael

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly the only drum corps that even use system blue anything is Blue Devils and Oregon Crusaders, I would not recommend them for anything other than marching arts and they are too expensive to really have it as only for marching. If you would want something that could be comfortable for you and has been used by other drum corps i would recommend Curry mouthpieces since Blue Stars trumpet line usually uses those.
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep playing your 3C
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep playing the 3C!
The mouthpiece safari IS an expensive trip and quite often a slippery slope (once you start it's really hard to stop).

"Pie in the sky" answer: study up on all of the makers, then make a trip to an ITG conference, or a NAMM convention, etc and go play them all (best if you have a friend/teacher with you to help listen)

As a teacher, I like to have a variety of pieces in my shoe box to experiment with - find a like teacher, or music store.

My first look, if you're comfortable with that rim and it's seeming working well, is to try some variation of that. a standard 3C, or maybe a 3C with an opened throat-more like the Mega-Tone. But again, a little experimentation will be involved - which equals $$$.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
deanoaks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never liked the Megatone and in many circumstances have seen them do more harm than good to younger students (depending on their goals on the trumpet, but as a good middle of the road mouthpiece, a stock Bach or similar is much better suited in my experience). A 3C is a decent mouthpiece for those that are interested in classical and jazz work and if often used as a piccolo mouthpiece or in some cases a high note mouthpiece for more orchestral oriented players. These are all gross oversimplifications and generalizations of course.

I think still being a high school student it may not be the wisest thing in the world to switch to a less conventional mouthpiece like the Wedge for instance which I have seen have some negative effects on players trying to switch back to a conventional rim shape. Unless you have a teacher pushing you in a certain direction and believes it may benefit you in the long run. I do think it would be best to wait until you are in college or find yourself at an NTC, ITG or similar where you can honestly try out (with guidance and a separate set of ears) multiple brands of mouthpieces to see what suits you the best.

My $0.02 is if you ARE insisting on getting a new mouthpiece that you stick with something Bach unless advised by a trumpet teacher otherwise. Perhaps switching to a normal 3C. Especially if you are marching and need a lot of projection in your sound. The added weight of the megatone will not be doing you any favors.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can appreciate that marching is a consideration. But rather than going for a more specialized marching piece, you'd probably do better to get away from the Megatone and move to a stock 3C from either Bach or Curry. Those stand to help with your projection. If you need more projection specifically for marching, Curry has plenty of options without messing with the rim, unlike Bach.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
PW-Factor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree that the Bach 3C non-Megatone might be the ticket. Curry's 3C is also very good.

If you want something in the 3C range that has some DCI association, might I suggest a Karl Hammond Design mouthpiece. Specifically, the 5MV. It's in the Bach 3 rim ballpark, and I personally found it is an INCREDIBLE all-around mouthpiece. I ended up with a custom Hammond based on the 5MV and used it for something like 7 years, in all situations other than symphony, where I used the 5MV.

As a matter of fact, I have a 5MV that's just sitting right now. I'd be willing to send it on trial if you wanted to give it a shot. Just shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Raw Brass HB2 - Hammond PW
Gen II ACB Doubler Flugel - Curry 5FL
Bflatman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sound good on a 3c so change it, great idea.

I recommend buying a stick, when the desire to throw away what works grab the stick and beat yourself with it until the desire to change goes away.

I was going to end it here but I will add this, If a musician ever gets a job in an orchestra and then he starts changing what works for him and got him his seat just to find out if it is better and his performance then suffers, he is unlikely to stay in that seat.

If you have something that works keep it.
camikaye

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with some others that you should stick with what works and the search for the perfect mouthpiece can be a long one. BUT - I would try and find someone near to you that has a bunch of used mouthpieces for you to try out. I, as a teacher, try to keep lots of pieces on hand for students to experiment with the different makes and models to try and find a good fit. I would guess there should be someone in your area that might have a decent collection so just start asking around and hopefully they will have some of the specific ones you are wanting to try. They might also have that diamond in the rough that you didn't even consider originally. Good luck and have fun!
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In high school our band director had us play a 3C or 5A for symphonic band, and either a 3C or 10 1/2C for marching band.

Now, we all played cornets, most people played the 3C year round, namely the first chair players. I played the 10 1/2C for marching, the 5A for symphonic, as I was usually the 1st or 2nd trumpet (as per scoring, we had one on 1st trumpet, one on 2nd trumpet, all other parts were cornet) and wanted a stand out tone for that part. I always got a better sound with the 5A, but not so much for range or endurance.

Best advice, play as many as you can borrow or trial test, and find what works for you.

Today what I play would be the equivalent to a Bach 17A, if they had ever made such a beast.
Since all other motivesfame, money, power, even honorare thrown out the window the moment I pick up that instrument..... I play because I love doing it, even when the results are disappointing. In short, I do it to do it. Wayne Booth
Nikoloas17

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plp wrote:

Today what I play would be the equivalent to a Bach 17A, if they had ever made such a beast.

The music store I work at has an old New York Bach 17, no letter. So they did make it, and it truly is a beast of epic proportions. I do most of my playing on a Marcinkiewicz 6/10.5C, so I'm no stranger to small-ish diameters (compared to 1.5C/3C models, that is), but I was no match for the 17. It won this round
Lidl Brno Bb Rotary Flugelhorn
Benge 5 Piccolo Trumpet
Mouthpieces:
Marcinkiewicz 6/10.5C
Monette B2
Monette B6LVS1
Yamaha 14E4
Yamaha 14F4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: