• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

8310Z + M/K tuning slide = B7 killer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject: 8310Z + M/K tuning slide = B7 killer Reply with quote

One more chapter of my love affair with medium bore horns.

As some of you may remember, I started this love for medium bore trumpets with a Martin Dansant, then came a Conn 22B (but not a good one), an Adams A6 (couldn't handle the huge custom bell I ordered), a Schilke B7 and now the Yamaha 8310Z.

I played the B7 until June 2015. Right after that, I bought the 8310Z but I was still trying to feel as good as I felt with my first love (the Dansant).

Today I just received a semi-round un-braced bronze tuning slide from M/K Drawing. WOW!!! It was like receiving a brand new trumpet!

Suddenly the 8310Z turned into the easiest playing horn I have ever tried. It just sings!

I remember the Schilke B7 being more free blowing than the 8310Z used to be, but now the 8310Z just blows the B7 away. And I need to add that I only felt comfortable playing the B7 when I used a Schilke mouthpiece. I'm awfully sensitive to mouthpiece/leadpipe gap changes. With the 8310Z I can use almost any mouthpiece I want... and, the best part... now the resistance is at the right spot.

I'm loving the idea of a new part being such a great solution for this problem!

At the end of the day, I almost threw the original tuning slide in the trash can.
mcgovnor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: have Reply with quote

Have you ever tried a Schilke B6L?
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:30 pm    Post subject: B7 killer Reply with quote

Hello all,
You should try a Schilke S42.
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcgovnor wrote:

Christian K. Peters wrote:
Hello all,

According to my experience, Schilke trumpets really work better with Schilke mouthpieces, because of the gap (almost no gap) they provide. I had no success when trying to use any other mouthpiece with the B7 and I really don't like the idea of using exclusively Schilke mouthpieces. I also felt that Schilke valves were good but heavier than what I'm used to.
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abundrefo wrote:
mcgovnor wrote:

Christian K. Peters wrote:
Hello all,

According to my experience, Schilke trumpets really work better with Schilke mouthpieces, because of the gap (almost no gap) they provide. I had no success when trying to use any other mouthpiece with the B7 and I really don't like the idea of using exclusively Schilke mouthpieces. I also felt that Schilke valves were good but heavier than what I'm used to.

I'm sure you have considered the Reeves sleeve? I'm not sure if you can get a no gap but its an option.

For what it's worth I tried an S42 and thought it was a very fine horn. I was using a Marc Shew 1.25 with a Warburton 2 backbore at the time. I now play a Marc Ingram and cannot comment on that setup.

I'm also thinking of getting an MK slide for my horn but my emails havent been returned. I'll phone the shop sometime and see what's what. Probably some kind of spam filter catching them.

Based on the horns you like you maybe want to try a Chuck Findlay Van Laar and a Schagerl Morrison Meister. Not everywhere carries these tho and they are expensive but if I ever have the spare cash I'll be trying these two again.

Good luck

Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
Brent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:42 pm    Post subject: 8310z Reply with quote

Maybe he should enjoy the horn he's got, especially with the new modifications.

The Shew horn's are great!
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! I love my 8310z, maybe it's time to try a slide...

I would also like to try a braced slide on the 8310z to see if it could firm up the slots a bit for classical work. It might be a nice fit.
intrepidpooch
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an ancient post but I happened to read it today and wanted to confirm what the original poster asserts. I also got an M/K semi-round bronze SE slide for my Yamaha 8310z and it turned an already great horn into an amazing one. Totally opened up the upper register and at the same time warmed and fattened up the sound in every register. Unbelievable the difference a tuning slide made, Mike and Ryan at M/K know their stuff!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: