• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

MF Protocol

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spencerkotulski

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: MF Protocol Reply with quote

I’m a 10th grade trumpet player and I do not have usable range above g right above the staff. I, very interested in MF protocol but I haven’t heard anyone play high and quietly. Like anything g or above to just a high c even. I still this a major flaw in MF protocol? Or does no one play soft just because they don’t want to
Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: MF Protocol Reply with quote

spencerkotulski wrote:
I’m a 10th grade trumpet player and I do not have usable range above g right above the staff. I, very interested in MF protocol but I haven’t heard anyone play high and quietly. Like anything g or above to just a high c even. I still this a major flaw in MF protocol? Or does no one play soft just because they don’t want to

I follow the Lynn Nicholson protocol I can play up high piano much easier than forte.

Best to chat with Lynn directly.

See if you can contact Lynn via the Jim New website.

Here is Jim’s link:
http://james-r-new.com/affiliates/lynn-nicholson.html

Good luck.
Cheers
Harry
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allen Vizzutti has a great method book on building range on his website that is entirely building range by playing the prescribed exercises softly.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
MF Fan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've experimented with the MF Protocol on and off for 3+ years. It does work if you figure out how to adapt it to your personal set-up, but in my view it's not a replacement for a traditionally developed upper register. Lynn is clear about it being intended for use where your ‘normal’ register tops out, not as a replacement for a normal upper register. If your existing range today is capped at the G above middle C, I’d say you need to spend more time developing in the fundamentals before taking a detour into the MF Protocol. That said, Lynn’s video contains lots of good info about playing in general, not just the Protocol per se. My ‘normal set’ upper register improved as a result of working on the protocol, but I came into it with a high F and have been playing for 30+ years. I can now play legit DHC’s, but not consistently on demand, or in a way that could be fully integrated into a musical setting. It’s more of a practice room skill that I use to impress my fellow trumpet players. That’s my experience, others may have had more success integrating it into their playing. Net net…I’m glad I rented the video and think my playing has benefited, but I’ve concluded I’ll be better off by spending my time developing my upper register via a traditional approach.
Holton MF3
Lead Trumpet - My Basement Jazz Orchestra
Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MF Fan wrote:
........ but in my view it's not a replacement for a traditionally developed upper register.

+1

MF Fan wrote:
........ but I’ve concluded I’ll be better off by spending my time developing my upper register via a traditional approach.

+1/2 I am keeping up both approaches, traditional as well as the MF Protocol.

I just purchased Lynn's LPiece. My first impression is that it may possibly become my primary piece. Of course that is too early to tell.

For "traditional" methods I just acquired the Allen Vizzzuti books (five of them). For the next year or so I will get fully familiar with his books and then start using them for private lessons.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Harry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: