• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Breaking in new valves: few places where the piston is shiny

View previous topic :: View next topic  
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Breaking in new valves: few places where the piston is shiny Reply with quote

Hello,

I just got (yesterday) a brand new, out of the box, flugelhorn with bauerfeind valves. I know the drill about how to break in valves, and specially with bauerfeind valves I've been keeping it really clean. I wiped the valves and valve casing yesterday, applied a lot of oil before, while I was playing and after I finished.

The oil the factory supplied was Hetman 1.

Today I repeated this procedure but I noticed a few places where the piston is getting shiny. I'm not sure if this is normal, even after one day of breaking the valves in, or if Hetman 1 if too thin...or if there is any other reason for that.

Here a picture.

Thank you!
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too much thinking, not enough playing. Just follow the wiping and lubricating routine and do more practice. All valves look like that... eventually

cheers

Andy
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
All valves look like that... eventually

Thanks. That's sort of what I wanted to hear.

Andy Del wrote:
Too much thinking, not enough playing. Just follow the wiping and lubricating routine and do more practice.

I do tend to overthink a bit when I'm getting to know a brand new horn. This is one of my bad habits. But I don't see where/how my playing habits are connected to my question.
But, either way, yes, I'll keep practicing.

Thanks for your answer!
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
Too much thinking, not enough playing. Just follow the wiping and lubricating routine and do more practice. All valves look like that... eventually

Twice, when I had horns refurbished, it took several weeks of daily cleaning before the valves would stop sticking. Each day, I would use a lint-free cloth to wipe out the valves and swab the casings, and then re-oil. I would also use a tissue to wipe the vents at the bottom of the valves.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
bagmangood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:

cheers

Andy

+1 - Both of my horns with bauerfeind valves look like that and it has 0 effect on compression or action. Hetman 1 is plenty thin for your horn

Enjoy the new horn!
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those lines are from tiny imperfections in the casing or piston wear surfaces touching each other as they stroke up and down. They show that those surfaces are "mating in." It's supposed to look like that.

It also is why you shouldn't twirl the pistons in their cases. This will booger up the mating and introduce wear that shouldn't be there. This is also why precision made valves need a break-in period. The clearances are tight and no machinist (human or machine) can produce a perfect set of parts, so mating happens post assembly.

I know, I know! What about automotive pistons? They don't need break-in periods like they did in the past. Why can't trumpet manufacturers produce the same precision??? Because you all think a $150.00 Olds Ambassador is just as good as a $3600.00 Wild Thing! Imagine the cost per horn, if the factory invested in the level of technology needed to produce automotive-level results. No one would ever sell a new trumpet!

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
trumpetmandan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said, those lines are totally normal, and are just a sign that your valves are breaking in.

shofarguy wrote:

It also is why you shouldn't twirl the pistons in their cases. This will booger up the mating and introduce wear that shouldn't be there.

This is spot on, don't spin the pistons in the casings. Over time it'll cause your valves to wear prematurely and hang up. Enjoy the new horn!
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the answers you guys sent me.

I've had new horns before (including my Xeno 8335IIS) but I was specifically concerned about the way Bauerfeind valves would/should behave.
bagmangood
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abundrefo wrote:
Thanks for all the answers you guys sent me.

I've had new horns before (including my Xeno 8335IIS) but I was specifically concerned about the way Bauerfeind valves would/should behave.

They have a break in period, then feel better than anything else
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
Too much thinking, not enough playing. Just follow the wiping and lubricating routine and do more practice.

I do tend to overthink a bit when I'm getting to know a brand new horn. This is one of my bad habits. But I don't see where/how my playing habits are connected to my question.
.......[/quote]

I agree, I don’t think your playing habits have much to do with your question either. I do understand what Andy might have meant, some of us (me!) get too wrapped up in equipment. But I also see nothing wrong with your question/concerns about your valves.

And yeah, as others said, those pics look pretty normal to me too.

Brad
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When your horn gets to be fifty years old, the entire piston will be shiny until you get it refit, and then it's not shiny any more.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also might consider Hetman #2 as an experiment. If the pistons don't slow down, that would be a better barrier between piston and casing. If they do slow down, no harm done as it's easy to swab out the oil.
https://yourbrass.com/
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bagmangood wrote:
Hetman 1 is plenty thin for your horn

Hi bagmangood, I'm not sure what you mean by "plenty thin".
Is Hetman 1 "too thin" or "thin enough" for bauerfeind valves?
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

automotive pistons are WAAAAAAAY looser than a trumpet piston. That is why they have compression rings. A trumpet piston like that is ground to size with a grinding wheel as the piston spins. Then the casing is honed to fit the piston. The last stage is lapping, and that continues into the break in period after the lapping compound is cleaned out.

A nickel plated piston is plated to bigger than spec, and then honed down to spec leaving a very straight nice surface. Really smooth and hard. That is why some think nickel valves are still the best. The most time consuming, and argueably more prone to human error i guess. Any way, a valve block is way more more precision that anything on a car except maybe a high pressure injection pump.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: