• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Enhance the sound of a mute

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt Perez

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just figured out a great "new" (probably already known, but I'm proud of myself and I'm sharing with everyone) way to enhance the sound of a mute. Cut off one of the corks so that when you insert the mute, it will go farther into the bell, capturing more of the sound you produce in your playing and producing a much more pronounced "color" from the mute. I've found this is an especially good method on stone-lined cup mutes. It makes the nicest cup-mute sound I've ever heard now. I've cut off one of the corks on all of my other mutes with similarly good results.
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about cutting off a cork, but I do like to adjust the corks by carefully shaving some of the cork on my stone lined cup mute so that the mute will fit well into the bell. I like the cup part to come just short of touching the bell. The sound is much more mellow and nice IMO than the same mute sticking out of the bell by half an inch or so.
Larry Smithee
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2002 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I am constantly amazed how many players don't do any adjusting of their mute's corks in order for the mute to interface with their horn's bell flare properly (to play in tune and sound best in their horn).

Mutes not adjusted correctly cause severe intonation problems (usually making the horn go sharp and requiring the player to pull his/her tuning slide when playing a muted sections).

I am also constantly amazed that nearly 100% of the players with "stock" corks also neglect to pull their slides at performance or gigs . . . at least amateur players!

"Gee . . . what a SHARP soundin' trumpet section!"

Sincerely,

Tom Turner
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: