• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Hub Van Laar R3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
evolution
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Hub Van Laar R3 Reply with quote

Hi, I am in the market for a new horn and a friend of mine has a Van Laar R3 (build 2014/15) to sell. Van Laar's site is not to full with information and the internet doesn't bring up much information to the R3/BR3. Does anyone play the horn and can write about his/her experience with the horn? Some say it has a 72ish bell. Others tell it is thougt to be a big band/commercial horn and has a smaller bell. Van Laar writes it has a bit resistance. A 72-bell would not make me think that it is a tight horn. You see I know nothing for sure.

Any comments are welcome and yes, I know, try before you buy.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Hub Van Laar R3 Reply with quote

evolution wrote:
Hi, I am in the market for a new horn and a friend of mine has a Van Laar R3 (build 2014/15) to sell. Van Laar's site is not to full with information and the internet doesn't bring up much information to the R3/BR3. Does anyone play the horn and can write about his/her experience with the horn? Some say it has a 72ish bell. Others tell it is thougt to be a big band/commercial horn and has a smaller bell. Van Laar writes it has a bit resistance. A 72-bell would not make me think that it is a tight horn. You see I know nothing for sure.

Any comments are welcome and yes, I know, try before you buy.

I´ve tested the B3 and found it very easy to play, fair resistance, nice warm sound but with me behind a bit "fluffy". Probably the somewhat bigger bell is the reason for that. But the guy next to me in the big band (soloist, book 2) plays just lovely on it, big warm sound yet capable to shine higher up so I would say this is a horn for both big bands and small groups. One of the nicest horns I´ve played on ! Personally I don´t think it would fit in a concertband setting, geared towards the classical - but mind you - this is personal.
Meaning what´s your idea of the sound? What about resistance? Your setting? Etc!
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)
evolution
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx for your answer. Do you write about the B3 or the (B)R3. The R-Series are completely different horns and perhaps quite rare.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

evolution wrote:
thx for your answer. Do you write about the B3 or the (B)R3. The R-Series are completely different horns and perhaps quite rare.

Oh sorry! I read B3 when you write R3.....Anyway they are good horns but the van Laar horns have very different characteristica.
Might add that I also had the opportunity to test the B5, thinking that it might suit me but no! This horn differs a lot from the B3 (higher resistance, more compact sound, more suited for classical work with me behind it although I know some very good leadtrumpeters using it.
The BR3 might be a horn well suited for commercial work - judging from the (meagre) description. Perhaps in the same category as the Bach 1B commercial or the brand new Yamaha 6335RC (which I bought after having sold the Bach).
Yes the BR series, as well as the Oirams are quite rare - also very expensive at least over here.
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
evolution
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your impressions!

Offtopic but very interesting as well: What do you think about the 6335RC? There is quite a hype about it but only very few horns available in Germany till April 19
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The R3 is the B3 with a reversed (R) lead pipe

Van Laar trumpets are well made but not very consistent, not in terms of build quality but in terms of sound; they are really handmade so they sound all different
Van Laar trumpets are a good investment, they keep their value but I never would buy one without play testing it first

The Yamaha 6335RC sounds to me an interesting instrument, something like a German designed Yamaha inspired on a Getzen Eterna 900 Classic, I would go for the last one
evolution
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your take on VanLaar-trumpets in general. That is often true for completely hand made horns that all are great but not as close to each other than horns from big factories.

Perhaps Van Laar changed some models but the B3 has normally a reversed leadpipe and is a different horn with a big 135mm-bell. The BR3 is built reverse as well but with a 122mm-bell.
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

evolution wrote:

Perhaps Van Laar changed some models but the B3 has normally a reversed leadpipe and is a different horn with a big 135mm-bell. The BR3 is built reverse as well but with a 122mm-bell.

You are so right! This is new to me, thanks for the kind correction!
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

evolution wrote:
thanks for your impressions!

Offtopic but very interesting as well: What do you think about the 6335RC? There is quite a hype about it but only very few horns available in Germany till April 19

Hype? Indeed! I´ve posted on a another thread my impressions of this RC but nevertheless I can say a few( )more words about it: but I have to give you a short background: I´m an amateur, began playing in a brassband already in 1958, young I was. Since about 1961 solocornet, still doing it. No teacher. 1968 I began playing in a university swingband(=swing era scores), lead trumpet, bought my life time axe, a King super 20 Symphony 1970. Have continued playing in bands, nowadays at least twice a week, last week 2 big bands and two concerts with the brassband (two heavy concerts last sunday, 1:15 each, one hour between them....this notwithstanding in excellent shape afterwards). This I write to convey that I play/practice a lot (my wife´s applauding this - she notices that I just thrive). However in 10 days I´ll celebrate my 76 :th birthday. And I took lessons, 18 in all some 4 years ago.
Why all these words? Well I can honestly tell you that having played this RC a little more than a fortnight I feel like it´s adding years to my playing life! Never ever thought a horn could make that difference!
I´ve found out that I need some "inborn" resistance in a horn and this horn has that exact amount of resistance yet is very easy to play, in fact helps me, big warm sound, clean beautiful sound up higher, lyrical parts as well as "sassy" triplets penetrating the big band, playing lead.
Resistance seems to be a very crucial variable: finding the exact balance between being easy to play, yet being able to provide the feeling that you can predict and hit the very tones your aiming at. This was a problem (for me) with the Bach, I sort of lost the accurracy above G on the staff. Otherwise it was a lovely horn - but did not (with me behind) display the same warm, full sound as this RC. I simply find the RC more refined. I´ve tested a lot of horns, particularly during the last years, I´m a rather sceptical guy, I don´t have that elusive "gift" some musicians have, but a very good sense of pitch, am very keen on tonal colours, ways of "attacking" - and I find this horn to be "musical"! Also it´s comparatively cheap! Personally I hold it far better than the Xenos, LA:s etc but that´s me. It is personal - don´t ever forget that!
Well few words sceptical yes but when Ernie gets down he gets down in flames!
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
evolution
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oohh, bad reply. My bank account says you should write something like: yeah. Well. Good trumpet. But nothing you have to buy if you have already nice instruments

Just kidding. Thanks for your impressions. Yamahas are always good but normally I care more for horns of smaller companies. But the RC produces very good reviews in a short time.
evolution
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine told me that Hub van Laar made some changes and adjustments to the horns while keeping the name. So a BR3 from 2013 maybe another beast then a BR3 of 2016.
One time - the legend tells - he wanted to quit giving names or numbers to his horns that the customer just buys the best horn after playtesting without being forced in a direction by knowing how the horn with name xy has to play. Interesting and maybe a wise idea but makes it impossible to get correct information about a horn by its name.
The BR3 I am thinking about seems to be made in 2013. Reversed leadpipe. Brushed gold. I can playtest it and it should arrive this week. So I can keep you informed about that special BR3 - now knowing that another horn with the same name may be quite an other horn.
veldkamp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play one of the first of the R serie Hub made, I think it's 5-6 years old. Mine is stamped R2 but I think Hub changed the numbering later on and it's probably a R3 now.

Mine has a reversed leadpipe and a 72-ish bell. It has a big fat sound, but the horn doesn't feel that big. A B7 (which has the same bell) was to big for me. The R serie must have a bit more resistance.

I've played many years on it and have used it for all kinds of stuff, but mostly leadplaying. You can check my album for sound samples :

https://erikveldkamp.bandcamp.com/album/counterparts
evolution
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Erik,
thanks for your reply. I am quite curious how the horn plays. May arrive tomorrow and hopefully in good condition despite the christmas time for the mailcompanies. A lead trumpet with a 72ish bell would fit perfect on my trumpet shelf.
evolution
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The R3 arrived today. Very good condition. Obviously not played very much. Only thing is a small dent in the bell that has been removed which can be seen slightly.
The bell is very lively, seems to be quite thin and resonates geourgeous. The response is very fast and easy. It has a dark and round core played gently and produces an enormous output when pushed.
Overall the horn plays very easy and the upper register stays open till the end of my chops at DHC. It can do everything. Played with normal power it just sounds golden and delightful and can roar like a leadbeast when pushed hard. The articulation is spot on all over the horn.
The valves are tight and fast. The inner felts could be a bit softer to be a bit quiter. Just my opinion.
A wonderful allround horn with fast response, great sound and easy upper register. Might be a 72ish, quite light bell that sounds dark and can sing as well. Cool horn!
I did trade it in against another great custom horn that had a bit too much resistance in the upper register to suit my main horn. The Van Laar fits in nicely. Both sides happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: