• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I Think I may be Losing Interest in the Trumpet?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HornnOOb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: I Think I may be Losing Interest in the Trumpet? Reply with quote

After being involved with the trumpet and related areas of interest, I fear that I may be losing interest. I am one of those 7-10 year change personality types and I am now at the 10 year mark with the trumpet. As of the past 4 weeks, I've had to force myself to play at least once a week in an attempt to keep my chops from going completely south. It's as if I've just lost the zeal for playing and all things trumpet.

In my heart of hearts, I know I shouldn't just quit - after all, what would that really accomplish? But I just don't seem to enjoy it nearly as much as I once did - not too long ago.

I'm wondering if anyone out there in TH land has experienced the same scenario - losing interest in playing? Any advice for regaining my interest and enjoyment in playing would be appreciated?

Thanks!

Severinsen Destino 3*
1971 Getzen Eterna 900S Severinsen Model
1984 Getzen Eterna 896 Flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special Cornet

Denis Wick 1C Heavytop
Getzen Flugel 3C
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a high school band director with two small children. I've tried to keep my chops up through practicing a few minutes at school when I can or playing in a community band, but it's been a struggle. The last season of community band really wasn't enjoyable. I'm pretty much at the point where I am setting the horn aside until my boys are older. I'll play just enough to be able to demo stuff at school.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent the middle portion of my life singing instead of playing trumpet. Eventually the desire to play returned.

One piece of advice don’t sell off your current horn unless you must.

Last edited by LittleRusty on Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
HornnOOb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
I spent the middle portion of my life singing instead of playing trumpet. Eventually the desire to play returned.

One pice of advice don’t sell off your current horn unless you must.

Because you believe it may have collector's value some day? ?

Severinsen Destino 3*
1951 Olds Special Cornet

Denis Wick 1C Heavytop
Getzen Flugel 3C
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HornnOOb wrote:
LittleRusty wrote:

One piece of advice don’t sell off your current horn unless you must.

Because you believe it may have collector's value some day? ?

Only if you mean a collector of one, the original owner. So many people have posted on here how they regret not having their original horn.
BGinNJ
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason why there's a Comeback forum here is because there's so many of use who stop playing at some point, whether it's lack of interest, burnout, family/work conflicts, medical reasons.

Don't sell your horn, because nothing's getting any cheaper. Someday you'll want to play again, and it will be waiting for you. It will be waiting for you even when you DON"T want to play, taunting you.
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BGinNJ wrote:
The reason why there's a Comeback forum here is because there's so many of use who stop playing at some point, whether it's lack of interest, burnout, family/work conflicts, medical reasons.

Don't sell your horn, because nothing's getting any cheaper. Someday you'll want to play again, and it will be waiting for you. It will be waiting for you even when you DON"T want to play, taunting you.

+1 I went through a particularly low period at the end of 1999 and after an overload of multiple gigantic egos while playing on a Millennium Cruise gig, made the decision to take a leave for a while and focus on building a retirement fund. That turned into a 14 year hiatus that finally came to a close shortly after I retired from my day gig in 2014. I kept my favourite 2 horns in storage and loaned another to a very close friend for a good long while.

When I started playing again, my old horns brought much familiarity and revived a joy that hadn't happened for a very long time. I started looking for regular performance situations almost right away, and that approach paid off in a big way. I now perform almost weekly in multiple genres, but mostly Classical situations that were non existent in my previous playing life and have been called for many paying gigs in the last couple of years. The enjoyment that I get from daily practice and regular performance is incredible. My wife says that my Perception of music has changed, I say that it's mostly my Perspective, I don't need to play to eat. I love playing again and take it one day at a time.

Take advantage of your "time off" and get back in when the time is right. If your experience is anything like mine, it'll be better than ever!
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BGinNJ wrote:

+100
DaveH
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the situation described in the original post can happen and has happened to me.

After my initial trumpet playing years long ago, I've comeback more than once.

The big thing with me was whether the performance "opportunity" of the moment was something that I really liked doing and wanted to put the time and effort into, or whether it was just somewhere to be playing. And for me, that made a big difference. I've been invited to play in some situations that I declined - primarily because I didn't think I would put in the time and effort due to lack of enough interest and motivation.

There was one situation long ago that I really liked. That group disbanded after a few years, as most will do eventually. Life situations for everyone involved went through some normal changes. The level of interest and desire to "keep on keeping on" changed a little over time for some of the players as well. I had many great times with that group, and made many great memories. We even had a reunion in 2014 after 42 years since our last gig, drew a big crowd, and it was a "magical" evening. It was almost like we had never quit playing. I'd do that again in a minute. We decided to do that reunion about 6 months ahead of time, and I practiced every day, knowing that evening was coming. Just like the "good old days". I'd say that one thing that really made a big difference was that we all had gone to school together and were all good friends.

If you can get involved playing music you like, with like minded people in similar life circumstances, and whom you can call friends, and you can find performance opportunities that are fun and rewarding (not just financially), you may have something great and worth the time and effort. Since playing trumpet wasn't a full time job for me at any time, I wanted to have some fun and the camaraderie of friends.

Speaking for me, I need the motivation of upcoming performance, and not just playing for my own amusement at home - that doesn't last long for me. And, I need to be really liking what I am doing - musically and the other people involved.

Otherwise, I will practice a little every so often, but the motivation leaves. For me, it's like riding a bicycle. The wheels must keep turning, or I'll fall off.

Best regards.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a gig. Find a reason and purpose to play. I know that for me, with the life I lead, if I don't have some kind of gig on the horizon, I find it difficult to get behind the horn or drums - virtually ALL of my playing is gig-oriented.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
HornnOOb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice and insights. Thank you, all.

Severinsen Destino 3*
1951 Olds Special Cornet

Denis Wick 1C Heavytop
Getzen Flugel 3C
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: