• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Help! Olds Recording help needed!

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are the valves interchangable?
Yes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No
100%
 100%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 4

Clark Kent

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:59 am    Post subject: Help! Olds Recording help needed! Reply with quote

Short story: I need a new 3rd valve for an Olds Recording. Wonder if I can cannibalize it off an Olds Ambassador?

Long story: I just bought a Recording and after a lengthy 2 weeks wait, the horn has finally arrived!

When I play my first notes on it, it felt like the waterkey was open and valves were misaligned! I inspected the instrument for any leaks and damages, none. Whipped out my scope to check valve alignment, all good. Then I discovered that the 3rd valve have had serious damage to it. Looked like someone put a chizel to it and there was a "drain" leading from one of the portholes to the bottom of the valve.

Have tried the bay to look for spare parts but to no avail. However, there are plenty of Olds Ambassadors available. Wondering if any of you guys have both the Recording and Ambassador, and if the 3rd valve is interchangable?
Steve Hollahan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Olds valves Reply with quote

Olds made one set of valves for 90+% of their horns. Check and measure valves for fit.
Plus, a good tech can fix hole in valve. I have done that before, many people trynto drive out a stuck piston with a pen. Disaster!
Kanstul 900 piccolo trumpet
Sculptured Recrafting Custom Instrument Repair
and Restoration
www.sculpturedrecrafting.com
yourbrass
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Olds valves Reply with quote

Steve Hollahan wrote:
Olds made one set of valves for 90+% of their horns. Check and measure valves for fit.
Plus, a good tech can fix hole in valve. I have done that before, many people trynto drive out a stuck piston with a pen. Disaster!

Steve is right. A valve port can be patched. The original valve will keep the value of the horn as well.
-Lionel
https://yourbrass.com/
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth I just put the third valve from my Olds Mendez into my Olds Recording to test out whether valves from some Olds trumpets are interchangeable with valves in other Olds trumpets and it worked fine. It wouldn't surprise me if the valves from an Olds Ambassador are similarly interchangeable. Give it a try and let us know.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible that “drain” is actually an attempt to vent the valve so the third valve slide can be extended and returned without depressing the valve?
LarsHusum

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a repair tech to fix the hole.

I had a trumpet which had the exact same problem. My local repair tech fixed it in one hour.
But use a good tech, soldering valves is tricky and a skilled tech is nessesarily.
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Is it possible that “drain” is actually an attempt to vent the valve so the third valve slide can be extended and returned without depressing the valve?
That reminds me of Curly Howard drilling a hole in the bottom of a sinking boat, to let the water out. He calls his bit-and-brace a "water letter-outer".
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: