• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

La Tromba T2: Hochdorf vs Kriens factories, a visual guide?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:42 am    Post subject: La Tromba T2: Hochdorf vs Kriens factories, a visual guide? Reply with quote

Hi,

I know there are lots of posts (dating back to 2014) about which one is the real (or the best) La Tromba oil. But none of them offer a visual guide, including this one, that mentions "markings and style of the print of the bottles" but shows no pictures.

So I decided to start this thread because of that and also because of the questions I had in my other thread about an issue with the blue color of the T2.

Well...
So far, now, in 2018, I've seen two different factories selling two different bottles with different labels (but with similar graphic design patterns):

Made by Chemical Works Schachen Ltd
In the city of Kriens - Switzerland.
And here's what a T2 bottle looks like:

Made by La Tromba AG
In the city of Hochdorf - Switzerland.
And here's what a T2 bottle looks like:

So, now, in 2018, what can any of you tell us about these two versions of (supposedly) the same product?

Thank you.
BraeGrimes
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I saw this too and was intrigued (even though I don't use T2 often, but keep it for older horns that need a slightly more viscous oil).

I actually think the colour is the same, I poured it out into a shot glass to take a look. I think the bottle design is different. I could be wrong though!
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BraeGrimes wrote:
So I saw this too and was intrigued (even though I don't use T2 often, but keep it for older horns that need a slightly more viscous oil).

I actually think the colour is the same, I poured it out into a shot glass to take a look. I think the bottle design is different. I could be wrong though!

FYI, I was sampled a bottle of T1 by a La Tromba rep and it's noticeably thinner/quicker than T2 but it still lasts. It's my go-to oil now.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I washed my flugelhorn and today I tried the T2 that I've just got as a gift, made by Chemical Works Schachen (picture #1).

So far, it seems very, very good. Bauerfeind valves feel great. It is a lot smoother than the Hetman 1 that was supplied with the horn and it seems to create a better seal.

I was doing a quick research online and it looks like most US-based stores only offer the T2 version that's made by La Tromba AG (Swiss flag), while European stores (also) offer the T2 made by Chemical Works Schachen.

Is that correct?
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abundrefo wrote:
Yesterday I washed my flugelhorn and today I tried the T2 that I've just got as a gift, made by Chemical Works Schachen (picture #1).

So far, it seems very, very good. Bauerfeind valves feel great. It is a lot smoother than the Hetman 1 that was supplied with the horn and it seems to create a better seal.

I was doing a quick research online and it looks like most US-based stores only offer the T2 version that's made by La Tromba AG (Swiss flag), while European stores (also) offer the T2 made by Chemical Works Schachen.

Is that correct?

Hummm...
After a few days using this T2 made by Chemical Works Schachen (picture #1), my impressions changed:

- It has a strong smell that reminded me of petroleum-based oils I've used in the past.

- It doesn't seem to last long (the opposite of what I read in some threads form 2014). It seems to evaporate faster.

- When I swiped the valves (only two days after I tried this oil) I got more metal residue (that black dirt on the cleaning cloth) than in two weeks with Hetman 1. ...and that scared me a bit.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the horns I have, the La Tromba T2 oil reliably lasts incredibly long. Never had any issue with smell. My only gripe is that it's not as fast on certain horns that I assume have tighter valves. For those, I use La Tromba T1.

Another recent gripe I have with the La Tromba oils is that the cap on both my bottles of T1 and T2 have broken. It's going to be hard for me to recommend these oils with the great likelihood that they will dump out in my case. A pretty bitter pill for me since I've been a big fan.

Last edited by cheiden on Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
For the horns I have, the La Tromba T2 oil reliably lasts incredibly long. Never had any issue with smell. My only gripe is that it's not as fas on certain horns that I assume have tighter valves. For those, I use La Tromba T1.

Another recent gripe I have with the La Tromba oils is that the cap on both my bottles of T1 and T2 have broken. It's going to be hard for me to recommend these oils with the great likelihood that they will dump out in my case. A pretty bitter pill for me since I've been a big fan.

Hi,

I think you are talking about La Tromba AG T2 (picture #2, according to my "visual guide).

I never tried La Tromba AG T2, but I did have their T1 with silicone (bottle and cap were all white, and with the Swiss flag). The long caps did break on two of my four bottles.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abundrefo wrote:
cheiden wrote:
For the horns I have, the La Tromba T2 oil reliably lasts incredibly long. Never had any issue with smell. My only gripe is that it's not as fas on certain horns that I assume have tighter valves. For those, I use La Tromba T1.

Hi,

I think you are talking about La Tromba AG T2 (picture #2, according to my "visual guide).

I never tried La Tromba AG T2, but I did have their T1 with silicone (bottle and cap were all white, and with the Swiss flag). The long caps did break on two of my four bottles.

Correction. It's T3 that I've been using for my tighter valves, not T1.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: