• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Which of these two should I start on?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Garnoth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:32 am    Post subject: Which of these two should I start on? Reply with quote

Hi there,

I am a 31 year old beginner trumpet player (never touched a wind instrument in my life, though I do play guitar) and I've been loaned (actually sort of given) a trumpet (Yamaha YTR-6345HGSII) with two mouthpieces, a Bach 6B and a Yamaha Shew Jazz by my uncle.

My teacher says it doesn't really matter which of these I start on, but I've heard it's good to stick to one mouthpiece to start with. Which of these two would be the best starting piece? Right now I can more easily produce clear, clean notes on the 6B, but I am an outright beginner so what do I know...

This seems like a great forum, so I thought I'd check what the people here think
Dieter Z
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just answered your own question
B&S Challenger II 3137 rl
Buescher 400 - 225 (WWII)
Benge 90C
Eastman 540 D/Eb
ACB Fluegelhorn
Selmer Picc
ACB mouthpieces for most of my playing
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dieter Z wrote:
You just answered your own question

Agreed.

There's nothing wrong with either piece as a long-term all-rounder, of the 6B suits better then you should progress just fine on it, go with that.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only that, but stay with that trumpet and mouthpiece forever. Learn, grow, develop and be happy with what you have.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with either of those. Use what works best for now. Save the other in case your tastes change.

Good horn too if it's in good repair. If there's any doubt, it might be worth a trip to a good pro shop for a tune-up. Another option would be to sign up for a lesson or two and have the teacher make sure your gear is in proper working order.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure, if you use it, that the Shew is the "Jazz" model and not the Shew "Lead" model.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Which of these two should I start on? Reply with quote

Garnoth wrote:
Right now I can more easily produce clear, clean notes on the 6B, but ...

Based on this alone, use the 6B and forget you own the Shew.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my limited experience, the Shew Jazz was a sensible piece for those who like a 3C-ish type feel. Ultimately, something about it gave me issues with endurance so I gave it up. I do agree that the Shew Lead is a highly specialized piece that should be avoided by many, and especially by developing players.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Garnoth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the help, it's just that I would like to eventually learn to play big band and commercial styles and thought maybe I would then have a hard time transitioning from the very round, more classical sounding 6B. But for now I won't worry about it and just learn to get a decent sound out of this thing. Man do guitars play themselves....
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yammy Jazz, although it has essentially a Bach 3C cup, has a tighter backbore that may not be condusive to developing proper breathing and breath support habits. Go with the Bach 6B until your teacher says it is time to look for another mouthpiece to help you go where you want to with your playing.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
Not only that, but stay with that trumpet and mouthpiece forever. Learn, grow, develop and be happy with what you have.

Said the guy with four “keeper” horns, and six for sale?

I think most of us understand the concept of practicing and taking lessons vs trying to find magic equipment. And even if the OP doesn’t, there’s still not much logic in telling him to keep what he has “forever” without knowing if it’s a decent instrument or not.

No offense intended, but I would not advise anyone to “stay with that trumpet and mouthpiece forever” without knowing a LOT more about the player and his equipment. Actually, I still wouldn’t tell anyone that, especially other people here on a TRUMPET FORUM......where many of us (me too) tend to be equipment junkies to some degree.

I do agree that a new player should not get into equipment safaris, if that’s what you’re saying. Or trying to say.

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: