• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Schilke HD Bb’s for orch?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
random_abstract

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Schilke HD Bb’s for orch? Reply with quote

Question for Schilke players only:

Which Schilke HD model Bb trumpet is the best compliment to the S22CHD for orchestral and classical work? Why?

Just looking for opinions and experiences. I’ve been playing an S22CHD which is great, but the B series Bb’s I have owned have never given me the right “oomph” in the orchestra.

Thanks.
jazzvuu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess would be the S32HD or or S33HD as that goes along the series of the S22CHD? Schilke makes fine horns and I went through college on a B5-L and later switch to a S32-L for about 3 years. I never sat in a group with the S-series HD but play a few at conventions and stuff. They are the closest thing to Bach 37 that Schilke gets. I have now gone to a pure line up of Yamahas after switching first to the Yamaha Chicago Gen 1. Other Yamaha artist models slow added to the collection and I am fortunate to have such amazing horns.

The S22CHD was a nice horn when I tried but it did not blow out of the water so never really venture much on the c trumpets of Schilke.
roccotrumpetsiffredi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schilke trumpets are my favorite. Why don't more orchestra sections use them, esp the Chicago symphony orchestra?

Mostly seems to be Bach and Yamaha
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several years ago the Concertgebouw Orchestra in Amsterdam had an all Schilke section.
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several years ago the Concertgebouw Orchestra in Amsterdam had an all Schilke section.
J-Walk
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Schilke HD Bb’s for orch? Reply with quote

random_abstract wrote:
Question for Schilke players only:

Which Schilke HD model Bb trumpet is the best compliment to the S22CHD for orchestral and classical work? Why?

Just looking for opinions and experiences. I’ve been playing an S22CHD which is great, but the B series Bb’s I have owned have never given me the right “oomph” in the orchestra.

Thanks.

The S32HD would be very compatible in feel and sound with your S22HD-C and has great core and projection in an orchestral setting. I have played the S33HD and it sounds great also, but I prefer the feel and sound of the S32HD.

I find the S22HD-C to be the most comfortable C in the Schilke line for me. The C3HD and Soloiste C sound great but are a more difficult switch for me coming from my S32HD.
Adams A5
Larson Brasswerks “Reese” Model C
Schilke P5-4 picc
Courtois 154 flugel
A few mouthpieces that fit my face and horns
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schilke now has a Soloiste Series designed for orchestral work.
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Schilke HD Bb’s for orch? Reply with quote

random_abstract wrote:
...Which Schilke HD model Bb trumpet is the best compliment to the S22CHD for orchestral and classical work? Why?...

Since your S22CHD is a large bore trumpet with the Schilke 2-bell taper, I would think you'd want a HD Bb with the Schilke 2-bell taper as well, either the S32HD (ML bore) or possibly the S22HD (L bore).

I just took a look at the Schilkemusic.com website to see what two orchestral players use, and saw that Jack Sutte of the Cleveland Orchestra has a C3-HD (L-bore 3-bell taper) and S33HD (ML-bore 3-bell taper) while William Lucas of the Detroit Symphony has a S22HD Bb Trumpet (L-bore 2-bell taper) and S22CHD C Trumpet (L-bore 2-bell taper).

Both of these orchestral players matched bell tapers in their Bb and C trumpets.
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Schilke HD's in orchestra Reply with quote

Hello all,
Jerry mentioned that some folks had matching bell tapers on their Bb and C's. That is also what I have done after owning many Schilkes over the years. I like the #3 or medium bell and have settled in with the S33 and the C3HD. Mind you, I don't play with larger orchestras, mostly with chamber groups in church settings If you need brighter or brilliant, the medium bell on the HD series will deliver with more core than the B series.
O00Joe
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As to why Schilke isn't more common in the US, I always got the impression that Schilke Cs have a more French-style orchestral trumpet sound: direct, bright, and nimble. (I would put the American sound between the German and French sound, German being dark, thick, and massive.) I haven't given one a serious trial but I would love to try one and perhaps own one, same with their Bbs

I don't know, what do ya'll think?
Akai MPC Live II
Roland JD-Xi
Casio MT-68
Shark01
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both an S32 HD and recently, an S22C HD....and I don't think they are all that compatible sound wise. Switching back and forth is far from seamless. Will eventually migrate to another Bb like an S22 HD or a Yamaha.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would hazard a thought - don't even bother to try to force two Schilkes together to match. You may get there, but seeing as so many have tried and not been too successful, why bother. Just get the best Bb you can afford and like to play for your musical situations.

There is a few grains of truth in the whole matching instruments / brand thing. But they are grains, not tomes! In the main, you can get two players with a modicum of sense and they can work together and blend, even on quite different gear. Just look at the Berlin Phil and see what each player is using. There are Schargerl, Thein, Lechner, and that's just the big trumpets. On smaller horns they blend Schilke, Thein, and Selmer and sound amazing. There is no question of their not blending.

Of course, it is possible to find very poor matches in sound, my two piccolos (Scherzer and Thein) come to mind - they really do not match! (and I don't play then together at the same time)

I guess that we can do the same with ourselves! My main Bb and C are very different beasts, and I have never had an issue blending with others on either.

cheers

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: