• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

playing too loud

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:32 am    Post subject: playing too loud Reply with quote

I think I've been playing too loud when I play lead. My trumpet was damaged and I had to send it to Monette to be fixed. While it was gone, I was playing a Bach 72 ML. (About 6 months) I really got used to the Bach. Just giving info.

I have been back on the Monette for about 2 weeks. The other night I was playing second and the lead player gave me a chart. I played and thought nothing of it. This morning I saw the singer posted it on FB. I think it was too loud for the band. I also have been feeling tired early when I play lead all night. Not tired on the sides but, the upper lip gets stiff.

To me, sitting in the section it sounds OK. Nobody has said anything. How do you know? While playing, not after listening to a recording.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes it’s difficult to judge whether you’re projecting enough, or too much. I have that problem (amplified band) if my monitor speakers are too low, it’s difficult to judge whether I’m balanced or not. The best thing I have found is how I feel; if I’m tiring quickly, I try to adjust myself down in volume.

I did learn a long time ago that in the case of playing with amplified instruments, trying to be a “hero” and compensate for a bad mix by the sound guy is a recipe for beat up chops.

Not sure how much of that applies to your situation, but I think letting fatigue level be a guide has some merit.

Brad
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello,
like Brad sys, you have to know if it's a question of projection, or overblowing.
Bobby Shew teaches to practice times to times with a cottonball in one ear, then in both ears, for learning to "feel" from inside your body when you're playing piano, mf, forte, ff... it helps in situation where you hear pretty hard yourself
best
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: