• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

How to practice BE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AngelRvp

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: How to practice BE Reply with quote

Dumb question here:

After doing RO1 do I then work on RI1? RO2 then RI2? Or should I do all 4 RO to then do all of the RI? When do I practice the slurs?

I am not judged by the number of times I fail, but by the number of times I succeed!
Jon_Manness

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal routine starts with RO (1-3), then TOL (mostly Clarke 2, but also scales), then RI (currently RI3 starting on G, then high C). Once I feel like the compression is happening after RI, I expand my range with some slurs (something like ALS #14). I also sprinkle in double pedals throughout my warmup.

This might be an extreme warmup for now, but you can adjust accordingly. I do like the progression of RO->TOL->RI->Slurs because I feel like I'm building my sound, embouchure, compression, and range in the right order.
Stomvi Elite Copper Flugel
'37 Conn 80a Cornet
'42 Conn 22b Trumpet
Stomvi-USA Mouthpieces
trumpetteacher1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the lesson plan on page 140. That should give you a clear idea of the general progression.

Regarding the RI and RO exercises, many players do RI exercises first thing in the day, and RO somewhere later in the day. And further, some players do one or the other, but not both, based on the results they are getting.

Jeff
tjilp

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My primary focus in warmup, lately (doing BE for 2.5 years now), is on RI over the whole range, from high C to low F#. I sometimes start from middle C, as good roll-in lip movement is far more important than range. Also, I sometimes reset the roll-in on any (low) note and go upward, or do low slurs. I feel it is important for me to take the roll-in down into the low register, occasionally even to the (single) pedal register.

Once having established a good roll-in feel, I proceed to the double pedals, mainly with RO#3 up to RI#4. Also RO#4. My focus is on integrating the RO into the RI.

All kinds of slurs, and TOL repetitions/scale figures, for testplaying, loosening up, connecting to the real playing feel.

During the day, when commuting on bike or in the car, I'm practicing roll-ins/lip clamp squeaks. But they cannot replace the actual roll-in exercises.
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: How to practice BE Reply with quote

AngelRvp wrote:
Dumb question here:

After doing RO1 do I then work on RI1? RO2 then RI2? Or should I do all 4 RO to then do all of the RI? When do I practice the slurs?

I guess this is very personal - but it is all about getting your chops responsive, in my humble opinion. The lips are muscles and the state of them can vary. My lips are not easily awakened before noon - hence I´ve a difficult time getting them ready for church concerts around noon.
Later on the circulation has attained its "default" state so lesser problems.
Anyhow my warm up routines have changed considerably throughout the years. Many years I used the Stampian method but eventually I found that it did not help me the way I wanted. And before that during almost 30 years I diligently practiced Ch Colins advanced lip flexibilities. Very useful but now and then I got "lip conditions". Hence I finally began with the Stamp method - but never got that "breakthrough". Lips became softer but versatility still lacking. Plus I took my first lessons ever 4 years ago....
When I began with BE, 2 1/2 years ago I started out with Roll outs, interfoliating them with Roll Ins the way Jeff outlines. Then lips slurs, tongue on lips etc. However, for me this did not suffice getting my lips ready. Since this spring I´ve adapted another routine:
1)Caruso 6 notes - a)no tongue b)tongue. This gives me an indication of the current state.
2)Laurie Frink often nr 1
3)Roll outs 1 -3 (like Jon Mannes)
4)Tongue on Lips
5)Roll Ins 1-3, on G
If I detect stiffness or lactid acid etc - I interfoliate with Roll outs
6)Probably Roll outs again (nr 1 down to "treble" pedal C, carfefully listening to the pitch, not overblowing
7)Roll ins 1-3 this time High C (or higher) - if necessary intefoliated with
8)Lip slurs - carefully not overdoing them
Then I switch to technical stuff in the band books.
This might not be the definite order but presently I´ve found that this routine - partly inspired by Jon Manne - seems to work excellently.

Maybe Jeff will have views on this - do feel welcome!
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
Yamaha 6335 RC Schilke 14B
King Super 20 Symphony DB (1970)
Selmer Eb/D trumpet (1974)

Last edited by Seymor B Fudd on Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:31 am; edited 1 time in total
tjilp

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tjilp wrote:
I feel it is important for me to take the roll-in down into the low register, occasionally even to the (single) pedal register.

Sorry, must correct myself: I can't take the roll-in down into the single pedal register. For the single pedals, a bit of roll-out must be added. Likewise, you can't play above high C/D/E only on roll-in.
This is what BE is about: the balanced integration of roll-in and roll-out movements into one, single, embouchure.

My daily BE-practice then, deliberately consists of these two parts:
(1) training of the extreme positions of roll-in and roll-out (RO#1, RO#2, RI#1 to #3)
(2) integration of RI and RO into a balanced embouchure (RO#3, RO#4, RI#4, TOL, slurs). Also single pedals fall into this part, as does high register training.

Maarten
Bert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maarten,

About playing single pedals, I don't do these too often, because I see no real value, but there is this strange phenomenon that I can play a better single pedal C RI than with my normal setup. I experimented with this, though, because I suspected that this might be the actual reason to start playing single pedals: to get into a rolled-in setup, as crazy as that may sound. It didn't quite work out that way, but I can still play single pedal C RI. Maybe something to tinker with.
CU soon
tjilp

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bert,

For me, the single pedals are a prolongation of the normal register, albeit for training purposes only. So I use my normal embouchure to play/test these notes. I do TOLs and slurs with them, to return to normal embouchure after a heavy RI and RO workout. Not specifically and always the single pedals, - I guess the keyword is rather TOL, to regain the regular embouchure feel.

Maarten
AngelRvp

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Advanced Lip Slurs Reply with quote

Should all of the ALS exercises be practiced in the RI position?

I am not judged by the number of times I fail, but by the number of times I succeed!
Larrios
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: Advanced Lip Slurs Reply with quote

AngelRvp wrote:
Should all of the ALS exercises be practiced in the RI position?

No. ALS are done with your normal setup.

If you want to refine your RI, you can of course practice anything, including ALS, with a rolled in setup, but this is not for everyone. It certainly is not a requirement for practicing ALS. Only a relatively small percentage of players end up using RI as their normal setup.

Ko
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Komdu saell Seymor

concerning your chops on morning, did you try to have dinner earlier or lighter, to give more time and possibility for nocturn detoxination?
best
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JVL wrote:
Komdu saell Seymor

concerning your chops on morning, did you try to have dinner earlier or lighter, to give more time and possibility for nocturn detoxination?
best

Mais monsieur Je suis tres modéré with booze besides I always have dinner between 15-17, early to bed, not that early to rise though, in short a truly clean-living man
No - I think this will have to do with my constitution - always been like that.
Tried everything but rising 3 hours earlier -would truly wreck my sleep.
But BE has helped me get much more "flexi" lips so in later years I´ve been able to play in church settings 1000-1230 (am) - still functioning way better, in fact much better say after 1500!
My plumbingsystem&wiring was designed&built that way!
Joyeux Noël et bonne année!
A votre santé!
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:

Last edited by Seymor B Fudd on Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:04 am; edited 1 time in total
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Takk Seymor and bravo for your french !
Ah ok, indeed, it's more physiological, maybe your cortisol cycle..
Anyway, keep on playing and enjoying, og... Gledileg Jol !

Best wishes
Seymor B Fudd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JVL wrote:
Takk Seymor and bravo for your french !
Ah ok, indeed, it's more physiological, maybe your cortisol cycle..
Anyway, keep on playing and enjoying, og... Gledileg Jol !

Best wishes

Although I live in Scania, once Danish, I speak Swedish so here a short lesson:
Merci/thanks=tack! Joyeux Noel/MerryChristmas=God Jul!
(In Danish:tak - glaedelig jul).
Ainsi soit il!
Yamaha YCRD2330II
Yamaha YCR6330II
Getzen Eterna Eb
Trumpets:
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry Seymor, these were only some icelandic words i remember
Best wishes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Balanced Embouchure All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: