• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Swelling lower lip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elgin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Swelling lower lip Reply with quote

Before everyone says I'm using too much pressure, let me say two things:
1. This question is about the lower lip, NOT the top
2. I get bottom lip swelling even if I use the "palm exercise" to play, ie, very little pressure.

Does anyone have a solution to the bottom lip swelling while playing?

The swelling occurs in the area in the mouthpiece as you would expect. As it swells, the aperture is distorted and the top lip is partially crowded out of the mouthpiece. This also causes the mouthpiece to be pushed down lower on my chops. Very bad situation.

The only thing that helps is either a few seconds on the didgeridoo or some pedal C's. (I know that's a Reinhardt no,no.) This gets the circulation going, the swelling decreases, and I'm good for a few minutes. While I can play in this swollen condition, my tone, endurance, volume, etc. are all negatively affected.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated?
Patrick 5.3C
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Swelling lower lip Reply with quote

elgin wrote:
Before everyone says I'm using too much pressure, let me say two things:
1. This question is about the lower lip, NOT the top
2. I get bottom lip swelling even if I use the "palm exercise" to play, ie, very little pressure.

Does anyone have a solution to the bottom lip swelling while playing?

The swelling occurs in the area in the mouthpiece as you would expect. As it swells, the aperture is distorted and the top lip is partially crowded out of the mouthpiece. This also causes the mouthpiece to be pushed down lower on my chops. Very bad situation.

The only thing that helps is either a few seconds on the didgeridoo or some pedal C's. (I know that's a Reinhardt no,no.) This gets the circulation going, the swelling decreases, and I'm good for a few minutes. While I can play in this swollen condition, my tone, endurance, volume, etc. are all negatively affected.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated?

Hi,

I would make three suggestions:

1) check that you do not have an allergy to the mouthpiece, either to the sliver plate or (if the mouthpiece is old or has been dropped) any area where the silver plate may have eroded. There may be some sense in trying either a gold or plastic rim/complete mouthpiece and see whether you experience the same problem.

2) I see you are using Wedge mouthpieces, clearly these are a little out of the ordinary and, if you are experiencing peculiar problems with your lip, my first step would be to move to conventional equipment.

3) finally, just because you try practicing ‘the palm method’ this doesn’t mean that you are playing with no mouthpiece pressure. For a start, I bet you don’t perform with the trumpet held on your palm, and what is more; no serious player can genuinely play without using a level of mouthpiece pressure. So do not rule this out entirely, especially if you consider that the current (wedge) equipment you are using is designed to focus the pressure points more than a conventional rim, thus exacerbating any localised swelling.

I hope this can help
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't say exactly when the swelling starts but there is a lip remedy out there that many players use to help them through difficult practice sessions.
It's called Lip Renew and made by a trumpet player and its main purpose is to keep the lips from swelling. You can check it out at the Robinson's Remedies web site. It works for me.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an article on why lips swell:

https://www.healthline.com/health/swollen-lips

Most likely the cause is an injury or an allergic reaction.

In terms of using pressure, what would cause an injury in some players might not come even close to causing an injury in other players. Maybe you're extremely sensitive to pressure or extremely sensitive to the amount of time you play. Maybe you have an underlying injury that isn't healing and is aggravated each time you play. Maybe the rim of your mouthpiece isn't well suited to your physiology. There are a myriad of possible explanations but there's no way for us to know for certain based just on a description of your symptoms and perceptions.
elgin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LSOfanboy
Thanks for your suggestions.
1. I played for a couple of years on a Warburton hard rubber rim. Same problem. Not any worse.
2. You should try a Wedge. It actually has improved the situation. I'm 69 and have only been on the Wedge for about 6 months. So, I've been "conventional" for about 60 years including 22 as an Army bandsman. The Wedge is not the problem.
3. I mentioned the "palm exercise" to eliminate well-meaning folks from jumping to the conclusion that I'm a pressure player; my lower lip will swell after a short time while laying the trumpet on the palm of my hand--any pressure would cause the trumpet to slide off my hand. I don't play using the Roy Stevens method or exercises any more. (I did study with him.) As for the Wedge, its pressure points are designed to increase circulation in the lips; it has actually decreased the swelling slightly, and my sound is much better.

Thanks for take a shot at it, anyway.
Patrick 5.3C
elgin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeB
The swelling starts within the first few minutes. A long slow warmup helps a little. I presume the reason is that a slow easy warmup encourages blood/fluid circulation in the lips.
I just ordered some Robinson's Lip Renew to see if it helps.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Patrick 5.3C
elgin
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI
Now that you mention it, I am sensitive to pressure and vibrations: when I sleep, I often feel discomfort in the heels of my feet as they press on the bed. Sounds weird, right? Also, one time I had an itchy response to a vibrating back messager. Maybe I have a form of Histamine Intolerance.

Thanks for the ideas. I've got a few things to look into.
Patrick 5.3C
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Donald S. Reinhardt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: