• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Tim Morrison retired from Performing?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Tim Morrison retired from Performing? Reply with quote

I recently attended the Roger Voisin Memorial trumpet competition at the Lynn Conservatory in south FL. Tim Morrison was one of the judges and his bio mentioned that he had retired from performing and was continuing to teach and conduct.

What a loss for the trumpet community. Anyone know why he is taking this path? I certainly wish him the best. His sound will always be an inspiration!
TMT

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No particular insight to add here, but I noticed the same thing. In the space of the last few years some big time guys in the studios have all apparently retired, Tim Morrison, Rick Baptist, Malcolm Mcnab, and of course Warren Leuning passed away. I suspect it's because of some combination of wanting to go out on top, along with the massive decline in work available, as well as being satisfied with their legacy of recordings they've left behind...
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMT wrote:
I suspect it's because of some combination of wanting to go out on top, along with the massive decline in work available, as well as being satisfied with their legacy of recordings they've left behind...

...and age.

All the best
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Greats who've "retired" Reply with quote

A few years ago (2015) I had dinner with Malcom McNabb and his wife during the ITG Conference. We were having a pleasant conversation about many things music and Malcom's wife leaned over and said, "Tony, do you know that Malcom didn't have one movie call last year?" I was astonished to put it mildly and asked Malcom what the heck has happened in the Hollywood studios? He looked over and said "Bratislava. The soundtracks are being done there by wonderful players who work for very little money and the finished product is sent electronically back to LA for final mixing". As the saying goes, "things ain't what the used to be".

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Greats who've "retired" Reply with quote

Tony Scodwell wrote:
I was astonished to put it mildly and asked Malcom what the heck has happened in the Hollywood studios? He looked over and said "Bratislava. The soundtracks are being done there by wonderful players who work for very little money and the finished product is sent electronically back to LA for final mixing".

Orchestras in the Philippines do discount soundtrack work as well. I know the guy who did the orchestrations and conducting for this animated film, all the orchestral music was recorded in the Philippines. I don't think it would be readily apparent to most people that it isn't the LSO.

Link

Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Greats who've "retired" Reply with quote

Tony Scodwell wrote:
A few years ago (2015) I had dinner with Malcom McNabb and his wife during the ITG Conference. We were having a pleasant conversation about many things music and Malcom's wife leaned over and said, "Tony, do you know that Malcom didn't have one movie call last year?" I was astonished to put it mildly and asked Malcom what the heck has happened in the Hollywood studios? He looked over and said "Bratislava. The soundtracks are being done there by wonderful players who work for very little money and the finished product is sent electronically back to LA for final mixing". As the saying goes, "things ain't what the used to be".

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com

Abbey Road Studios and the myriad British recording studios are booked solidly virtually every day of the year. All but a handful of the major Hollywood scores are going through there, not Bratislava...

The biggest fixer for that work in the UK is a remarkable lady called Isobel Griffiths. If you look at the Orchestra fixer credited on a movie, and it says her name (which most of the time it does), then the musicians did the recording in Britain.

There are some astonishing players over here, to name but a few: Phil Cobb, Jason Evans, Andrew Crowley, John Barclay, James Fountain, Mike Lovatt, Paul Mayes and Tom Rees-Roberts. Along with a handful more names, they are the primary crop in London doing the film session work.

I'm sure Bratislava has some fantastic players, but respectfully; the big films still go through Abbey Road.

All the best
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Greats who've "retired" Reply with quote

LSOfanboy wrote:
Tony Scodwell wrote:

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com

Abbey Road Studios and the myriad British recording studios are booked solidly virtually every day of the year. All but a handful of the major Hollywood scores are going through there, not Bratislava...

The biggest fixer for that work in the UK is a remarkable lady called Isobel Griffiths. If you look at the Orchestra fixer credited on a movie, and it says her name (which most of the time it does), then the musicians did the recording in Britain.

There are some astonishing players over here, to name but a few: Phil Cobb, Jason Evans, Andrew Crowley, John Barclay, James Fountain, Mike Lovatt, Paul Mayes and Tom Rees-Roberts. Along with a handful more names, they are the primary crop in London doing the film session work.

I'm sure Bratislava has some fantastic players, but respectfully; the big films still go through Abbey Road.

All the best

That could certainly be true. But if it is, it's for reasons of economics, not quality. I'm sure the UK players do just as good a job as the LA Studio players, but they couldn't do better. I'm sure that the pay is lower and costs are therefore less. Not "Bratislava lower" but I'm sure it's less there than what the L.A. Musician's Union scale is (or double scale as some of the top players tended to get).

I was very surprised and sad to hear about Malcolm's workload dropping off to nil. Maybe moving from L.A. to Germany in '98 and then to Chicago in '04 wasn't a bad idea at all, playing-wise! I stayed busy until I chose to move on (to the Health Care field).
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Studio work Reply with quote

With due respect, I don't believe I had purposely left out the fantastic players in the London studios. I merely relayed the comments made by Malcom to me. The point was studio work in Los Angeles is in decline and more attractive economic venues are replacing LA.
Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reply to both John and Tony,

There was no maliciousness intended in my post, only a statement of the facts.

John may be correct, London is less expensive than LA, but the musicians are amongst the finest in the world- and, though I try to avoid sweeping generalisations, there are those who say that the readers in London are the very best internationally. John says that these musicians couldn't possibly be better than the guys in LA, whilst I won't disagree per se, I think this is a slightly narrow statement to make and perhaps a little demeaning towards the British professionals who are nailing this stuff day in day out.

To Tony, whilst your post did not purposely leave out the players in London, the nature of the quote was to suggest that all film sessions had moved out of LA and to 'Bratislava', I felt it was important to clarify for other readers that sessions have ALWAYS been split between LA and London, and even if LA is drying up the London scene is as vibrant as ever.

I don't wish to appear argumentative in any way, I have great respect for the pair of you.

All the best
roccotrumpetsiffredi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LSOfanboy wrote:
In reply to both John and Tony,

There was no maliciousness intended in my post, only a statement of the facts.

John may be correct, London is less expensive than LA, but the musicians are amongst the finest in the world- and, though I try to avoid sweeping generalisations, there are those who say that the readers in London are the very best internationally. John says that these musicians couldn't possibly be better than the guys in LA, whilst I won't disagree per se, I think this is a slightly narrow statement to make and perhaps a little demeaning towards the British professionals who are nailing this stuff day in day out.

To Tony, whilst your post did not purposely leave out the players in London, the nature of the quote was to suggest that all film sessions had moved out of LA and to 'Bratislava', I felt it was important to clarify for other readers that sessions have ALWAYS been split between LA and London, and even if LA is drying up the London scene is as vibrant as ever.

I don't wish to appear argumentative in any way, I have great respect for the pair of you.

All the best

I'm glad to hear this. No offense meant to the current star wars trumpeters, but there is a noticeable difference in higher quality when the LSO did the movie soundtracks, led by the great Maurice Murphy vs the studio group. John Williams didn't he echo your thoughts on how professional UK musicians are?
rothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Educational.. well presented.

1: 09 : 00

Link
TMT

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Tedesco mentioned in an interview he thought Tim Morrison messed up his chops and that's why he only teaches now... anybody know if that's the case?
Bstradivarius
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm speculating, but would imagine given he was a playing John Williams "Summon thr Heroes," "Star Wars," " Saving Private Ryan," along with the Olympic Theme, nonstop, and a decade of Boston Pops seasons, that would explain retiring. I wouldn't last a year. That stuff is killer. And he didn't try to hurt himself or play inefficiently. I loved his playing. I suspect he just had a brutal program. He's a good man, complimentary of good playing, and I hope to cross paths again.
Brass Quintet
Brass choir
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: