• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

My brother's Mendez records in the early 60s

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsample

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:53 pm    Post subject: My brother's Mendez records in the early 60s Reply with quote

It was when I was 6 and 7 years old that I first remember listening to Mendez on my brother's records. He was my inspiration and what I tried to copy as I developed my playing from age 7 on.
GeorgeB
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You picked yourself one helluva inspiration in Mendez.
1938-39 Olds Recording
1942 Buescher 400 Bb trumpet
1952 Selmer Paris 21 B
1999 Conn Vintage One B flat trumpet
2020 Getzen 490 Bb
1962 Conn Victor 5A cornet
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much the same here. My father had a big collection of Mendez recordings (along with a lot of other trumpet and cornet players) that I just about wore out listening to as a kid.

Some of the Mendez records were in an odd size as I recall, about 2/3 of the way from a 45 to a 33 LP in size. I'm not sure what that was ever called, but the automatic play thing didn't work, because the tone arm wouldn't find the start on its own. Had to move the needle over by hand to play them.
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:
Pretty much the same here. My father had a big collection of Mendez recordings (along with a lot of other trumpet and cornet players) that I just about wore out listening to as a kid.

Some of the Mendez records were in an odd size as I recall, about 2/3 of the way from a 45 to a 33 LP in size. I'm not sure what that was ever called, but the automatic play thing didn't work, because the tone arm wouldn't find the start on its own. Had to move the needle over by hand to play them.

They were probably 78rpm records. You would have also needed to change the turntable to 78rpm. They were often sold in a book, or album, which is where the term comes from.

Kent
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only listened to a lot of those original albums, but went on tour with him. Tell you a funny story.

At one concert, we were all ready for downbeat and still no conductor or Mendez. Finally, they showed up with no time to spare. Seemed they had discovered a place with a certain Tequila, and spent the afternoon enjoying it.

On the first tune, Mendez decided to do a little hot-dogging, so when he had to play a high note, he aimed his trumpet in the air, leaning backwards. Unfortunately, he lost his equilibrium and stumbled backwards and completely disappeared from the audience, behind the curtain.

He regained his composure, reappearing to the audience, which went wild, thinking his disappearance and reappearance was planned. Really funny moment.

Back to earth - not only Mendez, but Miles, Jacoby and Herseth took up much of my trumpet listening time.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems the legendary Rafael was not accustomed to hitting the sauce, the way Bunny Berigan was; not a bad thing.

I have to wonder how my playing might have developed if Mendez was my inspiration rather than Maynard.
elparky

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father had my brother and me listen to Raphael Mendez recordings when we began playing trumpet in the 1960's. That coupled with private instruction from Bill Broadwell who was the Director of the US Coast Guard Band at that time gave us a very solid technical background on which to build our trumpet apptitude. I can't thank my father enough for the support we recieved to become talented trumpet players.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Rafael Méndez All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: