• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Adam Rapa

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CJceltics33
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Adam Rapa Reply with quote

Dang this guy! I think he’s amazing, seems like there’s nothing he can’t do. Why is that? What are your thoughts on him?
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Adam Rapa Reply with quote

CJceltics33 wrote:
Dang this guy! I think he’s amazing, seems like there’s nothing he can’t do. Why is that? What are your thoughts on him?

Yes, Rapa is an incredible player. Proof that an intelligent, and scientifically-informed, approach can yield exceptional results. He is a very hard worker with a smart head and seemingly inexhaustible supply of energy; which makes for a potent combination when developing on the instrument.

Clearly, Adam has reached a level of efficiency that is very rarely seen on the instrument, and has dialled in a remarkable degree of relaxation too. Combined with a passion for pushing the limits of technique, this is what has led to his ability to perform works such as his arrangement of Carmen, Warrior Dance and Weber Clarinet Concerto no. 2.

My only comment, which is not intended as criticism of Adam in any way whatsoever, is that you shouldn't make the mistake of thinking Adam is the only person that efficient on the trumpet. Its a rarity but he is not unique. What differentiates the players at that level of efficiency on the instrument is their choice of direction; Adam has chosen a very individualistic pathway, investing time and thought into new pieces and playing techniques, others have followed a more conventional path and so possess a slightly different skill set, albeit with the same remarkable efficiency. A few examples of players I consider in that ball park as far as efficiency goes are: Wynton, Vizzutti, Maurice Andre, Arturo, Chris Martin, Gabor Tarkovi, Malcolm Mcnab, a whole bunch of ridiculous lead players, Matthias Hofs, Hakan Hardenberger and Ruben Simeo (that is by no means exclusive). All have gone down their own unique paths, but all have a truly incredible level of efficiency and, I believe, could (if they invested sufficient time) perform Rapa's repetoire (and vice versa).

On an interesting side note; this is one video that, in my opinion, shows Rapa a little outside his comfort zone and, dare I say, a little overshadowed by Phil Cobb. https://youtu.be/LR_4VEuLNA8
William. J

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me preface this with I love Adam Rapas playing and his overall musicality.

I hear through the grapevines that's hes sort of a jerk unfortunately. I've heard from people that have seen him in master classes and that have performances with him. It's kind of a shame that someone so talented does not have the best personality. Then again, he does have the skill to back up any egotism he may have.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His only fault in this recording is not throwing out the drummer:

Link

The drummer must be the sponsor of the group.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same story as always - hard work, the right mental gifts and musical sense and highly cooperative physical tools.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Trompetissimo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never met Adam Rapa, but for he is really impressing me with his trumpet playing.
In the beginning - when I first “discovered” his playing, the impression was that is was all about fast and high playing - but after hearing several performances that demonstrates different music styles, I have to say that his musicality and broad specter of phrasing is proofing that this guy is incredible.
wehip

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His skills as a composer are just as impressive as those a player!

Link
Equiner

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

William. J wrote:
Let me preface this with I love Adam Rapas playing and his overall musicality.

I hear through the grapevines that's hes sort of a jerk unfortunately. I've heard from people that have seen him in master classes and that have performances with him. It's kind of a shame that someone so talented does not have the best personality. Then again, he does have the skill to back up any egotism he may have.

Not in my experience. He worked with my high school kids several years ago and was nothing but kind, thoughtful and encouraging.
1962 Olds Recording Bb ML bore
1962 Reynolds Contempra Cornet
1965 Bach 165 Flugelhorn
Van Laar Model 2 Flugelhorn
Bach Artisan Piccolo
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Adam Rapa Reply with quote

LSOfanboy wrote:

On an interesting side note; this is one video that, in my opinion, shows Rapa a little outside his comfort zone and, dare I say, a little overshadowed by Phil Cobb. https://youtu.be/LR_4VEuLNA8

On what basis would one come to this conclusion? They each were playing a different part. By definition, different parts don't sound the same so there's no telling how things would sound if they switched the parts around. Plus, in the video it's sometimes difficult to tell who you're hearing/who is playing the dominant part. They all sounded great to me. Rapa didn't look even the least bit uncomfortable.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:16 am    Post subject: Adam Rapa Reply with quote

I don't have much experience listening to Adam. YouTube pretty extensively. What strikes me about him is the apparent effortlessness of his technical ability. It's like he can play the most difficult passage and make a gourmet deli sandwich without missing anything. One of the comments listed a bunch of greats. I like trumpet players that way. We get to hear all of these greats and pick every aspect of what we like in their kit of tools. He's one of those guys you would want to have to take a pee test at the end of a competition to see what he was on! But, he's just great.
Donjon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The clarinet concerto is pretty interesting. Incredible virtuosity, but with that dire drum beat underneath. Why the hell would you accept that as a performer?
rothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A matter of preference, an asymmetrical vibrato that bends some pitches intentionally into the flat range of a note, can be off putting. Mangione was probably the first to do it..as heard on Children of Sanchez. Audiences may like it, but it's not for everyone.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=iaurR4tP2Gs
FDC05
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Adam Rapa Reply with quote

[quote=On an interesting side note; this is one video that, in my opinion, shows Rapa a little outside his comfort zone and, dare I say, a little overshadowed by Phil Cobb. https://youtu.be/LR_4VEuLNA8[/quote]

Really not sure what you're hearing. Phil Cobb is playing the solo part. Adam, when he has a phrase to take the lead, is altering his vibrato to match the fast, british brass band vibrato. They all play beautifully in this video.

Also, I've known Adam for almost 20 years, though I haven't seen him in a long time since he lives overseas now. He is FAR from a "jerk". When we were working together, he spent HOURS with me one-on-one working on fundamental techniques that shaped my playing. He is a generational talent on this instrument, with a truly unique sound. I hear him play and I know it's Adam. How many people can say that? Pretty amazing. I'm sorry your friend had a bad experience with him, and he does have a strong personality, but he is not a jerk and it sucks that people are airing that publicly with little basis.
myvalves

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam is amazing and as evidenced by this particular video, a good dancer, too. An ebullient performer, to say the least.

https://youtu.be/-gSLwCFiq0E
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Adam Rapa Reply with quote

blbaumgarn wrote:
He's one of those guys you would want to have to take a pee test at the end of a competition to see what he was on!

rothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we're talking about a generational talent, one concern would be why 'Maria', though clearly an advanced chart, would appear to strain him in several places. If you push or pull the phrasing all over a standard like that, it can start to resemble a train wreck. He held it together for the most part yet it became somewhat of a nail biter to the end. Attention paid in blowing out the water keys 2x's within three to four bars is overkill. That's a sign of edge, or nerves.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rothman wrote:
If we're talking about a generational talent, one concern would be why 'Maria', though clearly an advanced chart, would appear to strain him in several places. If you push or pull the phrasing all over a standard like that, it can start to resemble a train wreck. He held it together for the most part yet it became close to a nail biter to the end. Attention paid in blowing out the water keys 2x's within 'three to four bars' is overkill. That's a sign of edge, or nerves.

Please. Get real. Criticizing that performance in any respect is absolutely stupefying. He's a monster and this performance was with a mediocre band, making his performance all the more awesome.

I've never seen a trumpet method or a psychological study that says that blowing out the water keys 2x's within three to four bars is overkill or a sign of edge or nerves. I have, however, known it to be a sign that the player didn't think the horn emptied completely the first time. Why not assume that to be the case here. Why, instead, all the theoretical psychoanalysis?

It just seems crazy to me to nit pick a player and performance like this. I wish I could even come close. Why the negativity? Why don't we all just sit back and love, appreciate and, for those so inclined, envy it?
myvalves

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well stated. He's a virtuoso on every level.
rothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:

Please. Get real. Criticizing that performance in any respect is absolutely stupefying. He's a monster and this performance was with a mediocre band, making his performance all the more awesome.

In some ways I think you have it backwards. To be throwing out accolades like awesome, and monster because a band wasn't top tier, is not in line with being 'real'. It also isn't good for Adam. Let's be honest in regard to a performance, without all of us worrying, because a preceived slight or criticism threatens someone's false pride.

HERMOKIWI wrote:

I've never seen a trumpet method or a psychological study that says that blowing out the water keys 2x's within three to four bars is overkill or a sign of edge or nerves. I have, however, known it to be a sign that the player didn't think the horn emptied completely the first time. Why not assume that to be the case here...

Perhaps, but unlikely.. Fwiw, what makes you think water didn't vacate properly 3 -4 bars prior ? Go back and watch how 'busy' and preoccupied he is throughout the piece, including the one handed violin impersonation. Have you seen such a thing before while someone is playing over high C on a chart like Maria ? It stems from doing that in practice, as a habit that he formed. Or there were several double expressos served that day.

HERMOKIWI wrote:

It just seems crazy to me to nit pick a player and performance like this. I wish I could even come close. Why the negativity? Why don't we all just sit back and love, appreciate and, for those so inclined, envy it?

It's less about negativity, and more about not worrying yourself sick about a known player when and if 'exalted' status is not extended. Imo, you place him in rarefied air, which I agree to an extent, but not to the degree you've taken it. Very very good is not the same as great. That rendition of Maria is problematic, plain and simple. Let's ask ourselves : Shouldn't phrases be executed in way that are solid, smooth, rather than nervous and excitable, with rips, glisses, and shakes at almost every moment ?
theslawdawg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rothman wrote:
If we're talking about a generational talent, one concern would be why 'Maria', though clearly an advanced chart, would appear to strain him in several places. If you push or pull the phrasing all over a standard like that, it can start to resemble a train wreck. He held it together for the most part yet it became somewhat of a nail biter to the end. Attention paid in blowing out the water keys 2x's within three to four bars is overkill. That's a sign of edge, or nerves.

Blowing out water keys is part of the grading???

Sigh....
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: