• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Teaching an Almost Complete Beginner

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fitzy64

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject: Teaching an Almost Complete Beginner Reply with quote

Hey all,

I'm trying to teach my friend how to play the trumpet. He played an orchestra instrument throughout middle school, quit in eighth grade, and is now a sophomore in high school.

He can read music to a fair degree and is learning the fingerings at this moment, but I'm having difficulty explaining to him how to play above the first line E.

Any steps to teaching him would be great and any tips for people to increase range would also be very helpful!

Thanks,
Fitz

1967 Bach Stradivarius 37
Yamaha Eric Miyashiro 1
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Please take this as advice and not criticism. The best thing you can do is to get your friend to find an experienced teacher, NOT fellow high school student.

In the past 20 years if fulll time instrumental teaching, not one student taught student I hVe met had anything like a good learning experience from their slightly older peer. Not a single one.

You could even be a buddy and buy them a lesson. Or just relay what your teacher tells you. Even then, this information may not beg what they order to progress!

Bottom line - you admit not knowing how to help them, so do not try to.

Cheers

Andy
david johnson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play the C scale focusing on go sound an relaxing. Repeatedly. Then play the scale adding the D above it. Repeatedly. Then add the Eb or even the E. Buzz it, too. Get a teacher.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: before going any further, make sure that a proper embouchure is being used. A relevant thread is -
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42923
------------------------------
Explain that the correct pitch (and fingering) has to be buzzed into the mouthpiece from his lips.
And explain that the air being blown thru the lips is JUST to make the lips vibrate, there is NO need to attempt actual 'blowing air thru the horn'. Only that the SOUND is to be projected thru the horn to the wall on other side of the room.

Without the horn, vocalize the scale pitches by making a 'doo' sound - and tell him to pay attention to how the inside of his mouth is changing as the notes go higher (and lower).

Then WITH the horn, and make the lips produce the pitch changes instead of vocalizing - with a somewhat similar 'mouth feel'.

When a few different pitches can be sounded, then it's time to improve their sound quality - to immediately get a good tone and the correct pitch.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
Hi

Please take this as advice and not criticism. The best thing you can do is to get your friend to find an experienced teacher, NOT fellow high school student.

In the past 20 years if fulll time instrumental teaching, not one student taught student I hVe met had anything like a good learning experience from their slightly older peer. Not a single one.

You could even be a buddy and buy them a lesson. Or just relay what your teacher tells you. Even then, this information may not beg what they order to progress!

Cheers

Andy

This.

Brad
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reminds me of my efforts to help a friend of mine learn to play trumpet. He wanted a good beginning book so we went shopping and I helped him find one.

He called me a few days later and said, 'Hey, Jim, this book isn't working for me. The first few pages were interesting but the rest of it is just notes."

Rim shot.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need help finding an existing thread about -
"What is needed to be a good trumpet teacher"

I tried the search function, but got 'lost in the weeds'. Also tried google, but not much luck there either ...

Standard advice for many players seeking improvement is to find a 'good teacher'.
I'm looking for whatever attributes the TH 'group' has agreed is the basic core skills of such a person and the list of items that the student needs to learn.

Or maybe not even specifics about a 'teacher', but what are the 'checklist' fundamental items that need to be learned as part of beginning trumpet playing.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
Andy Del wrote:
Hi

Cheers

Andy

This.

Brad

That.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:

Or maybe not even specifics about a 'teacher', but what are the 'checklist' fundamental items that need to be learned as part of beginning trumpet playing.

Jay

I reckon it is a mindset that is ready to learn from someone who knows what they are talking about. The rest is about the length of a piece of string... or, a very, very, long post.
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggest your friend find a copy of “Inside John Haynie’s Studio: A Master Teacher’s Lessons on Trumpet and Life.” It will help him find the kind of teacher he needs - that we all need.

It’s available on Amazon and many public libraries.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: