• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Flugelhorn: sharp E and A

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abundrefo wrote:
iiipopes wrote:
Also on a 3-valve instrument, valves 1 and 2 are usually made pretty close to in tune, individually, with the 1st valve sometimes being slightly longer.

Interesting. So, I could try the following technique to tune the flugelhorn:
Tune concert A - 2nd valve B, then check 1st valve Bb and maybe also check 3rd valve third space C#(alternate fingering) and look for a sweet spot?

Yes. That is what players have done for all 3-valve instruments from the time they were first invented, from saxhorns of all pitches, Perinet instruments, cornopeans, etc., all the way to low brass.

I found this out when as an elementary school student I observed that playing E or A 3rd valve alone was flat compared to 1+2, and later when I was taught to kick out 1st valve a hair for 1+2 and kick out 1 & 3 for D and Low G, etc.
Flugelnut
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP: if, as the Adams people assert, this is common to öther makes as well, you must have had the same issue with your Yamaha 635T.
Did you?
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flugelnut wrote:
OP: if, as the Adams people assert, this is common to öther makes as well, you must have had the same issue with your Yamaha 635T.
Did you?

I only remember two things regarding the intonation of the 635T. I did have to pull the mouthpipe quite a bit (more than with the Adams F1) and the 1+2 E was also sharp. I started pulling the 1st slide a bit but one day, as I was blowing hard to take the water out, it fell on the ground. So I just left it all the way in and lipped down the E if needed.

But my 635T was an old horn that had ben repaired in the past (before I bought it), so I didn't think I could seriously take it as a reference.
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking to a friend (and also a repairman) who plays an Adams prototype flugelhorn, an F1 before model designation, and he told me that the prototype has a longer 1st valve slide.

Somewhere in the design process, Adams must have decided to make a shorter 1st valve slide (maybe to fix 4th line D), consequently making 1+2 combination a bit sharper (as a tradeoff).

So, as some of you guys mentioned here, maybe this is a feature and not something unforeseen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: