• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Wah Mutes and Miles Davis

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Wah Mutes and Miles Davis Reply with quote

Thought I'd start a fresh, generic post on the Wah mutes.

I love the sound of Miles but some say the Harmon wah mute is not a very good one and the new Ullvens are junk. I'm thinking of giving the Harmon a try but there are a few different models and materials, so which one is best ?

I heard he used the Humes & Berg Wa Wah Du All as well which I already have. It is so poorly made... not spun , but rolled and riveted, I can't even get it to stay in the bell.

So far a Richmond Precision Moulded Mute performs best, but is more baffle than the buzz that I'm after.

Any other suggestions or opinions ?
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't Miles play an aluminum Harmon (brand) mute?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
Didn't Miles play an aluminum Harmon (brand) mute?

Yes. That was my inference in the OP
MrOlds
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a consensus on the right “Harmon” mute sound? Maybe before the 1980s. But not so much anymore.

If you’re looking for that old school sound, buy an aluminum Harmon brand mute. Then whack it against a wooden table around the circumference of seam where the top and bottom sections are joined. Play it after a few whacks. If it needs more buzz, whack it some more. Stop when you get the sound you want.

If you want something loud, with better intonation and don’t really care about how they used to sound there are bubbly alternatives.
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Wah Mutes and Miles Davis Reply with quote

Abraxas wrote:
Thought I'd start a fresh, generic post on the Wah mutes.

I love the sound of Miles but some say the Harmon wah mute is not a very good one and the new Ullvens are junk. I'm thinking of giving the Harmon a try but there are a few different models and materials, so which one is best ?

I heard he used the Humes & Berg Wa Wah Du All as well which I already have. It is so poorly made... not spun , but rolled and riveted, I can't even get it to stay in the bell.

So far a Richmond Precision Moulded Mute performs best, but is more baffle than the buzz that I'm after.

Any other suggestions or opinions ?

You have the fiber Stone-lined version? Very rare!

The Humes and Berg bubble is very good.

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
PW-Factor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an Aluminum Harmon in high school, a copper Jo Ral Bubble in college and beyond, and just recently got the Trumcor Singer.

I find that the positioning of the tuning slide, and the centered-ness of my embouchure, has the biggest effect on the buzz. At the same time, the Copper Jo Ral never really projected well. Only taken the Zinger out on one gig so far, and it worked very nicely with a mic, especially for the first go-round.

Raw Brass HB2 - Hammond PW
Gen II ACB Doubler Flugel - Curry 5FL
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused. Are you looking for a mute like Miles played or are you looking for an alternate?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
I'm confused. Are you looking for a mute like Miles played or are you looking for an alternate?

I'm looking for a mute that sounds like what Miles played....ie lots of buzz and not so much pillow muffle.
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Wah Mutes and Miles Davis Reply with quote

VetPsychWars wrote:

You have the fiber Stone-lined version? Very rare!

The Humes and Berg bubble is very good.

Tom

It might have potential but for starters, the taper that goes in the bell is not carefully contoured or curved, rather a crude straight angle. Secondly, since it's riveted together and not hand spun, I've got this row containing the two mating seams and the rivets running along the angled portion. Even with a wrap of cork, there's a bump there that really messes up the mating. I'm thinking of taking the cork off and pounding it flat with a ball pean hammer and then recorking it.

Honestly, next time I or anyone else is complaining about the quality of junk out of the far east, I can hold this up as an example of the worst engineering and craftsmanship, ever !! I can't understand how anyone was ever able to get this to stay in any bell and had thought perhaps I came home with a trombone mute.
lipshurt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing that sounds like miles is Harmon brand, older version, which is different depth. Then it has to very close to the right kind of mic, one with a wide pickup pattern, and not too close. About 3 inches. 7 inches is way too far, and 1 inch will get weird dynamics which you will need to iron out later in mixing.

Only the old Harmon gets the grit is the sound the right way. Jo-real bubble mutes are good for section work but sound totally wrong for a miles sound.
www.youtube.com/lipshurt
Mike Sailors
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way Miles played with the Harmon is what gave it the sound everyone wants.

99.9% of all trumpet players play too loud with the harmon. Get a Harmon brand Harmon mute for cheap and learn how to play it right on the mic and soft (like Miles did).
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I gave away an old Harmon a few years back and regret it. I went to the music store today and reacquainted myself with the Harmons. Yes indeed it produced the sound I wanted but was very sensitive to how much air was being put through it. I tried the copper version and thought it was even better but obviously heavier and a few more dollars. Being a skin flint with developing arthritis, I ordered an aluminum when I got home. Thanks for your insights. You know what question is coming next, but I'll start a new thread for mics.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new Harmons are not great, in my opinion.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
The new Harmons are not great, in my opinion.

I just bought a used one off of Feebay. I don't know what age it is. The ones I tried today that were new, seemed OK, but I have no real point of reference as the old one I had before was in really terrible shape. Hopefully this one I just bought will be as good or even better. I might have bought the new one but the neck was badly dented and they would only knock 10 % off.
Bill Ortiz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miles did play an aluminum Harmon brand mute, and to get that tone that he obtained you have to play very close to the mic, taking advantage of the proximity effect that most mics give. Unfortunately the Harmon company changed the design in the early '90's in an effort to make them more in tune, but it totally ruined the tone-the new ones are terrible. Jo-Ral bubble mutes are cool but don't have that classic tone that Miles, Lee Morgan, Eddie Henderson and others got in the '60's.'70's and '80's. You can still find vintage Harmons on eBay....
'56 Martin Committee Deluxe #2 trumpet
14B Schilke mouthpiece
Couesnon Paris flugelhorn
Bob Reeves Sleeves and PVA
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Ortiz wrote:
You can still find vintage Harmons on eBay....

How does one determine the age of them though ?
Bill Ortiz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question Abraxas-I've purchase a couple on eBay in the past and the only way to know is if the seller says it's vintage and how old it is-you should be ok with one from 1990 and earlier. I got lucky once and found a Harmon from the late '50's-from that era there's no scoring lines on the side, just smooth. From the 60's on they have the lines on the side like the new ones. Happy hunting :)
'56 Martin Committee Deluxe #2 trumpet
14B Schilke mouthpiece
Couesnon Paris flugelhorn
Bob Reeves Sleeves and PVA
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya the one I got has got the lines. Good advice though. A photo of Miles Harmon is on his Wiki page near the bottom. You are right in that it has smooth sides.
Abraxas
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrived today and I am quite happy with what I got simply because unlike the other mutes I have it's not finicky on how much pressure is behind it and by that I mean I get the same amount and quality of buzz no matter how I blow it.

MrOlds.... in humor there is truth !! The way I get a good amount... ie a Miles buzz is by barely pushing it in. Unfortunately, that would make it super vulnerable to falling out. I think the only way to maintain that buzz and still have it firmly seated would be to smack it up. I'd rather a more controlled mod though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: