• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Is my embochure overused?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Auraix

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject: Is my embochure overused? Reply with quote

Recently, I've been losing my range and after a 3 day break, not much has really changed. The biggest things I have noticed is loss of the upper register and pain outside of playing my instrument.

I've been looking at the symptoms of embochure overuse syndrome and I just cant be sure if I should start rehabilitation or not. I really need help and if anyone can help me. I'll be thankful.[/img]
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Is my embochure overused? Reply with quote

Auraix wrote:

... and pain outside of playing my instrument. ...

-------------------
Actual PAIN means somethings needs to heal.
I'd stop all strenuous playing for a while.

If you can do easy pain-free & stress-free playing, that might be OK - but only for the purpose of easy flexing of the muscles for blood flow. Basic muscle therapy, NOT trumpet practice.

Injury is NOT the way to become better.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Is my embochure overused? Reply with quote

Auraix wrote:
Recently, I've been losing my range and after a 3 day break, not much has really changed. The biggest things I have noticed is loss of the upper register and pain outside of playing my instrument.

I've been looking at the symptoms of embochure overuse syndrome and I just cant be sure if I should start rehabilitation or not. I really need help and if anyone can help me. I'll be thankful.[/img]

Hi,

Without a great deal more detail, it is literally impossible for anyone on this forum to even attempt to diagnose whether this is 'embouchure overuse syndrome'. If you want constructive answers on this site (the jury is out whether that happens at the best of times) you should provide a proper timeline, details of the loss in range, new sensations that have occurred over the past few weeks, your current level, practice time, equipment (possibly) and any changes that you have implemented recently.

Without wanting to offer any kind of diagnosis, my gut instinct is that 99% of the time range issues are not related to 'embouchure overuse syndrome' and it is one of those self-googled scares that people read and then panic about. However, without more detail I would not want to offer this as substantiated advice.

All the best
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello
is the pain where you usually set the mpc ?
i'd take at least 1 week off, doing a lot of fluttering during the day.
then clarke 1 & 2, low and mid registers, in short sequences, with period rest between sequences twice longer than this.
but if after one week breack you still feel pain, take more rest or go to a MD
best
Auraix

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject: Exact Details Reply with quote

3 weeks ago- I was doing fine with everything, good and flexible range and great ease doing so.

2 weeks ago- I was getting noticeably but very slowly losing my ability and on that Tuesday I had a performance at the GHSA championship with a lot of C's, though not all came out.
Range was getting tough, in my band we are working on pás redouble and I was struggling to reach the high notes in the runs,

2 weeks ago on the weekend- I had an audition camp in which 12 hour rehearsals were a thing and my chops couldn't keep up. I couldn't feel any pain but my chops were in considerable discomfort.

One week ago- Whenever I played, anything above a G on top of the staff had awful tone and there was light discomfort while playing in any register. Whenever I WASNT playing, my mouth felt sore and especially my jaw was stiff.

Now- After taking a 3 day break and coming back to school, there is less pain and stiffness, but it is still there. There is now only a light tingling whenever I play and my range is still reduced.

This is what happened, everything collapsed after the audition camp, and here I am now struggling.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, it seems clear that you overdid it and will need quite a bit more rest to get healed. Going forward you're going need to be more mindful of pacing yourself. That or you're going to need to try and alter your approach so it's less abusive to your chops. When I was at my best my entire torso would get sore before my lips did.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your description is quite helpful. This is a learning time, as well as a time to work out how to get your playing back on track.

What you can learn from is that when things start to go funny, you take steps to address it. It may be only something simple like taking it easy, or adding recovery exercises during and at the end of a day. It may be simply not doing what can only be described a stupid activities, like days with 12 hour rehearsals.

From what Yu describe, it is time for rest. Total rest. It will not harm your playing to take a week off, nor will it do any damage to any school band or music program.

Your trumpet teacher (yes, here we go again) will be better laced to help. The general principal is to come back carefully and slowly, with a positive mindset and ensuring you are playing with the best setup you can.

Cheers

Andy
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embouchure overuse syndrome is what happens when a player keeps hammering away at exhausted chops and his body develops subconscious coping mechanisms to try and prevent further damage. Symptoms can include things like chin flinch, double buzz, chronic fatigue even after resting and other frustrating stuff. Remedy requires rehabilitation to retrain the subconscious brain to allow proper playing form again, without the defensive coping mechanisms, which can be very difficult to unlearn.

There’s no way to tell from your post whether you’ve developed embouchure overuse syndrome or are just still tired. It’s still pretty soon after the debacle, just 3 days. You might be ok with a bit more rest and gradual resumption of playing workload.

I suggest you rest up and don’t do that kind of damage again. If you’ve acquired problems, you’ll know soon enough. If so, get help from a competent teacher who has experience helping players overcome these problems. Good luck.
Piccolo Stomvi
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You overdid it. Now you need to take it easy as you have, but you also need to realize that those three days you took it easy you lost muscle strength and endurance. As such, you cannot expect to just rest for a while and then have everything feel great again when you resume playing.

I suggest you take tomorrow off from playing (if you can). Then, the next day, practice a fairly light routine. Simple flexibilities, and perhaps a Clarke Technical Study, but nothing above the staff. And only practice for perhaps two 10-15 minute sessions. Do the same simple routine for three days, and then add perhaps a half step to a whole step in range to your practice, and add maybe 3 minutes of playing to each of the routines. Lather, rinse, repeat.

If you desire true personalized help, I am available.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Skype Lessons Available - Click on the e-mail button below if interested
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that pain is not a good feature and about the last thing you need to have to deal with.
you will get back on track. trumpet playing is like taking medicine. you need to get your dose right neither too much nor too little. be kind to those lips you are not going to get another set.
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Auraix

like i said before and so do other members, don't be afraid to take days or week rest.
I say it again, during these days (but also when you'll practice again), do a lot of fluttering like Bobby Shew teaches. You'll recover soon.
Then, Clarke or whatever low-mid register exercices or phrases played like said above.
Last, learn not to want to be a hero. Don't kill your chops for a rehearsal or to impress people. We all made this mistake
best
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: