• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Thoughts on the olds 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
markwu071

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject: Thoughts on the olds 3 Reply with quote

A couple of years ago I was looking through my closet and I came across a really beat up and battle-scarred mouthpiece and it happened to be an olds 3. However, I have never had a chance to collect some information about it. From what it looks like its probably ancient. Does anyone have or used to have this mp? And were you able to get a consistent sound without bottoming out? I have this bottoming out issue since the cup is absurdly small in diameter.

Bach 1.5c 22/24
Yamaha 16E4 GP (1.5A) 18/(24?)
Yamaha 14A4a stock
CKB 3C 26/(117?)

Last edited by markwu071 on Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:39 pm    Post subject: Thoughts on an Olds 3 Reply with quote

Hello Mark,
I started on an Olds 3 in 6th grade. Played on it for 3 years. Did not know it was small. Switched to a Bach 2 and then a Schilke 15B. Mine has a slight V cup and a narrower rim than the Warburtons I play. It is also slightly bigger than my Schilke 11.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was not a rare mouthpiece. My very first teacher played on one. He was a big band lead style player, and also a Harry James aficionado: he could sound just like James.

He had no trouble playing all over the horn from pedals up to high F/G.

They also seemed to have varied a bit, as he had a collection of them, some for lyrical playing and others for high register, etc. This was at a time that altering a mouthpiece was not even thought of in his circles...

Hope that helps a little.

Cheers

Andy
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Olds 3 may have been the model of mouthpiece that was stock supplied with Olds Ambassador trumpets. I found one to go with an Ambassador trumept a friend of mine donated to a school, since it was old enough to still have the proprietary shank taper receiver, and in too good a condition to arbitrarily change the receiver. My impression was that the mouthpiece generally fit the horn in "blow," intonation and timbre very well indeed. If the horn were not being donated, and if I did not already have several horns, I would have considered it for myself.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Thoughts on the olds 3 Reply with quote

markwu071 wrote:
A couple of years I was looking through my closet and I came across a really beat up and battle-scarred mouthpiece and it happened to be an olds 3. However, I have never had a chance to collect some information about it. From what it looks like its probably ancient. Does anyone have or used to have this mp? And were you able to get a consistent sound without bottoming out? I have this bottoming out issue since the cup is absurdly small in diameter.

I wouldn't call it absurdly small. I notice you play a Bach 10.5C. That's kind of small.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iiipopes wrote:
The Olds 3 may have been the model of mouthpiece that was stock supplied with Olds Ambassador trumpets. I found one to go with an Ambassador trumept a friend of mine donated to a school, since it was old enough to still have the proprietary shank taper receiver, and in too good a condition to arbitrarily change the receiver. My impression was that the mouthpiece generally fit the horn in "blow," intonation and timbre very well indeed. If the horn were not being donated, and if I did not already have several horns, I would have considered it for myself.

My parents bought my brother an Olds Ambassador in 1965 and it indeed came with an Olds 3 mouthpiece. I played it in high school, though I switched to a Bach 7C during my sophomore year.

I recently bought a 1960s vintage Olds Ambassador cornet and it has an Olds 3 as well. Very common. It's balanced well to the horn--when I use my Warburton 4D/10 it sounds kind of tubby and does not slot as well. A little better if I use the 4MD cup, but it actually sounds best with the original mouthpiece.

I might add that the proprietary shank/receiver on the Ambassadors was discontinued some time after the move to Fullerton from L.A. in the late 1950s and to my knowledge, all of the horns made in the 1960s had the standard shanks and receivers. My cornet has a standard receiver and the mouthpiece has a standard cornet shank.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1979 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
Eastlake Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diameter is too small for me.

I don't love the rim, not at all a 3C-ish rim - or even a Stork 3C. (more the latter, than the former)

Cup is a bit shallow, not bad.

Overall, I like this blank shape. I think Monette LT and STC blanks look similar (not saying the mouthpieces are similar, but the shape isn't far off).

Not really my cup of tea, but I live more in the 1 1/2C-5C range and this feels smaller than that.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Alsorann

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned a dozen, and always regarded them as a not very decorative case decoration. Hate the rim, which is usually chewed up.

Kind of like old Conn mouthpieces.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too small and shallow for my tastes. Same goes for the Conn 4.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: