• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Reynolds 'Micro-tuner' Doohicky??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reynolds 'Micro-tuner' Doohicky?? Reply with quote

Hey kids! So a Reynolds 3 digit (#840) trumpet just arrived in the mail and I was wondering what the deal is with the micro tuner thing? How is it used??

The horn is in great shape and plays real nice... runs circles around 'Ol Rusty' my student horn from 7th grade!!

I was kinda shocked how much easier it is to play and it doesn't mind going up high either...wow!!

Don't have much to compare it to but the tone seems quite focused/compact and leans toward old school Big Band-ish vibe. Made my 7c feel like it got more shallow... which is kinda the direction I'm heading with trumpet.

My mouthpiece has a slight bit of wobble in the horn but still seems to work fine.

Anyway... feels great to play a quality horn and just picking this thing up has advanced my comeback by a good 3 months!!
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post a photo of the micro-tuner?
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I figured it out when trying to remove the tuning slide... Looks like it's kind of a 'preset' for tuning down to 'A'.. it stops the slide at the preset distance. I'll have to monkey around with it at some point to see how well it functions. It makes removing the slide a bit of a pain though as you have to unscrew it all the way for the slide to come out.
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veery715... I'll try to get a pic tomorrow and post.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrhappy wrote:

... It makes removing the slide a bit of a pain though as you have to unscrew it all the way for the slide to come out.

-------------------------------------------
That's probably why they aren't used any more. The value of the function it provides is minor, the inconvenience is large, and it increases the cost of production.

My guess is that 'back in the day' some designer thought it was a neat mechanical addition that would be seen as 'new technology', and that customers would want instruments that had the feature.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Speed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Reynolds Professional that's somewhat later (#3161) with that apparatus. My reading indicates that its purpose is to change the key from Bb to A.

You can find some info here:

http://contemporacorner.com/trumpets/reynolds-trumpets/

I acquired mine when I was looking for a good condition 1950s era case. I won the ebay auction for $35, planning on using the case for another trumpet. I truly had paid no attention to the trumpet. It turned out to be a Reynolds Professional with two valves missing, but not a scratch, ding or dent on it. While I've not had any luck finding replacement valves, it's just too attractive to abandon.

I'm not one to collect trumpets based solely on how pretty they are, but these Reynolds horns are very attractive with a Bach-like combination of lacquer over brass with nickle and very nice engraving. Mine is not currently in playable condition. Hopefully, I can find some valves that will work and I can bring it back to life.

Take care,
Marc Speed
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey speed... went to that site and they have my exact model pictured. Mine is losing a bit of finish here and there but almost as nice was the one pictured!

mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I just tried it and it works!! I'm sure I'll find some use for this too! Half step modulation??... No problem... BAM, I'm there!! Haha!

If the tuning slide was greased up enough like a 3rd valve slide you could do some interesting slide trombone-like effects! Could wind up having some fun with this thing on a gig!
Speed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you're having fun with it. If anyone runs into a set of valves for that model, I'd be interested in acquiring them.

Mine is like the one in the picture, as well.

Take care,
Marc Speed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: