• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Spoonful of Sugar

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
50YrComeback

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject: Spoonful of Sugar Reply with quote

Has anybody put together a “method book” with songs/tunes (etudes for you real teachers & musicians) that more or less emulate traditional methodology in terms of embochure building, articulation and technique, etc. For example, songs like “I’m Getting Sentimental Over You”, “In a Little Spanish Town”, “Chances Are”, “Young at Heart”, “Tenderly” seem to me to incorporate some of the intervals that are pretty standard in the method books. I am OK with slurring everything if necessary, playing them slower or faster, putting holds on certain notes, etc. I am sure there would be recognizable tunes that promote long tones and other techniques. Obviously, it would take somebody that understands the methodology of trumpet playing and learning that would be the best author.

My personal “comeback” goals are to play melodic pop music, American Songbook” type stuff and jazz variations on them. If I ever double or triple tongue again is of zero interest and don’t aspire to be the next Rafael Mendez.

I understand the logical argument that you need to build the foundation and techniques that allow you to play any type of music. However, I would love to play recognizable music in place of exercises, even in chromatic variations (no more than 3 flats or sharps please) that follow the same building/technique progression we are striving for. This is kind of like eating food that is very tasty but also healthy. Since you would be playing songs that you have heard, it might have the added benefit of training the ear and player to dial in the pitch sooner. I think perhaps it would promote more practice and definitely be more entertaining the other people living in the house. Another bonus benefit is you would be playing some music in multiple keys that you might like to continue to play for your own or entertainment of others.

I am 10 weeks in, taking lessons, making good progress with a mixture of exercises and playing. However, I want to spend more of my time playing things I like and less time on the exercise books. I am not proposing a short-cut to the building and re-learning process and I recognize a certain level of ongoing exercise is part of the program. However, I am just looking for a "spoonful of sugar" to make the medicine go down (or vegetables that taste like Ben & Jerry’s). Is that too much to ask???

Is there anything out there along these lines? Any thoughts on the merit of the idea? I doubt that I am the originator of this approach.

50 year layoff
Giardenelli 812S (a/k/a Amati ATR-604HS)
CarolBrass CPT-1000 Mini Trumpet
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the Hal Leonard "Real Jazz Book" for Bb instruments.
It contains a huge number of good 'standards'. And there are other various genre 'fake' and 'real' books available.

I don't think it is a substitute for a true 'method book' for learning all the various fundamentals, but it is a good source of playable and enjoyable music.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggestion: why not develop your own program that hits these three categories:

1. Basic fundamentals. Work on scales, arpreggios, intervals, articulation, lip flexibilities, finger dexterity, sound production, etc. The usual suspects. I like the Franquin Method, but there are others that I like also: Mitchell, Vizzutti, etc.

2. Pop tunes from a fake book. I like the Hal Leonard Ultimate Fake book, especially tunes from the 20s and 30s that I've never heard of. (They wrote great stuff back then, I think.) But pick a fake book that you like.

3. While playing your fun tunes, listen carefully to discern your most glaring weaknesses. Then, go back to your fundamentals books and find exercises that address these skills. By shoring up your greatest weaknesses, you'll be better able to play the stuff you really want to play.
Piccolo Stomvi
Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dstdenis wrote:

1. Basic fundamentals. Work on scales, arpreggios, intervals, articulation, lip flexibilities, finger dexterity, sound production, etc. The usual suspects. I like the Franquin Method, but there are others that I like also: Mitchell, Vizzutti, etc.

2. Pop tunes from a fake book. I like the Hal Leonard Ultimate Fake book, especially tunes from the 20s and 30s that I've never heard of. (They wrote great stuff back then, I think.) But pick a fake book that you like.

3. While playing your fun tunes, listen carefully to discern your most glaring weaknesses. Then, go back to your fundamentals books and find exercises that address these skills. By shoring up your greatest weaknesses, you'll be better able to play the stuff you really want to play.

+1
Yes, we indeed need a "LIKE" BUTTON
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry Hilgers wrote:
dstdenis wrote:

+1
Yes, we indeed need a "LIKE" BUTTON

+2
Anthony Miller

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use Eric Bolvins Big Songbook and base exercises around that?
https://bolvinmusic.com/product/the-really-big-student-songbook/?v=79cba1185463
50YrComeback

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject: Bob Zollota Reply with quote

Everyone – Just a follow-up to my original post. I was recently in SW Florida for a visit and searched for a lesson or two while I was there and came across Robert Zottola. Bob had storied career ranging from NY Broadway (16 year run Les Mis'), playing with orchestras for Sinatra, Tony Bennet among a long list. Played 4 years with Airmen of Note and also Quincy Jones & Benny Goodman. Did a world tour with Chick Corea and has played with people from MF to Allen Vizutti. He’s alive and well, based in Naples, FL playing 2-3 gigs per week SW Florida and sounds great. Not sure how old he is, but looking fit and playing good.

A number of years back he did series of orchestra recordings (mostly Nelson Riddle arrangements) on the old standards under the title Music Minus One where you get the CD with and without the trumpet solo and you get sheet music with the exact notation of Bob’s trumpet or flugelhorn solo. I think he also has some classical duet pieces.

This was kind of what I was looking for, allows me to play songs along with a jazz version by a real pro, pick them apart measure by measure and have something to play along with or play with a full orchestral arrangement. Plus, when I need some help, I can Skype Bob for assistance.

He’s a super modest guy which maybe explains he is no where mentioned on this forum. I think you can get these via Amazon but also you can purchase them directly from Bob. Here’s a link to a website that features Bob and you can find a link there to the Music Minus One.

[http://www.naplesjazzlovers.com/]

50 year layoff
Giardenelli 812S (a/k/a Amati ATR-604HS)
CarolBrass CPT-1000 Mini Trumpet
Harry Hilgers
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob Zollota Reply with quote

50YrComeback wrote:
........ while I was there and came across Robert Zottola. ......... on the old standards under the title Music Minus One where you get the CD with and without the trumpet solo and you get sheet music with the exact notation of Bob’s trumpet or flugelhorn solo.

Among my many MM-ONE books I have Bob's 6 volumes. I practice them regularly.

A great set of tools for playing with the band "without ever having to leave the farm".
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's another discussion on here about the auditions for the NJ Symphony. They mentioned Petrouchka as one of the excerpts they were asked to play. I looked it up, found the sheet music, and am having a ball working on it.

I came across the opening fanfare to Rimsky-Korsakov's Procession of the Nobles from the ballet-opera Mlada. I found the original hand-written score online and transcribed the music with MuseScore, and my daughters and I play the three trumpet parts.

Same with the Kings Row fanfare by Korngold.

You can have great fun following your ears.
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Connstellation 7B-N mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece

www.jazzscales.org

The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Bob Zollota Reply with quote

50YrComeback wrote:
Everyone – Just a follow-up to my original post. I was recently in SW Florida for a visit and searched for a lesson or two while I was there and came across Robert Zottola. Bob had storied career ranging from NY Broadway (16 year run Les Mis'), playing with orchestras for Sinatra, Tony Bennet among a long list. Played 4 years with Airmen of Note and also Quincy Jones & Benny Goodman. Did a world tour with Chick Corea and has played with people from MF to Allen Vizutti. He’s alive and well, based in Naples, FL playing 2-3 gigs per week SW Florida and sounds great. Not sure how old he is, but looking fit and playing good.

A number of years back he did series of orchestra recordings (mostly Nelson Riddle arrangements) on the old standards under the title Music Minus One where you get the CD with and without the trumpet solo and you get sheet music with the exact notation of Bob’s trumpet or flugelhorn solo. I think he also has some classical duet pieces.

This was kind of what I was looking for, allows me to play songs along with a jazz version by a real pro, pick them apart measure by measure and have something to play along with or play with a full orchestral arrangement. Plus, when I need some help, I can Skype Bob for assistance.

He’s a super modest guy which maybe explains he is no where mentioned on this forum. I think you can get these via Amazon but also you can purchase them directly from Bob. Here’s a link to a website that features Bob and you can find a link there to the Music Minus One.

Bob is a great player as is his younger brother Glen. I studied with Bob 40+years ago. Bob has to be in his early 80's. He's much younger than his years. The op is right about Bob being a very modest guy, He's a very nice man. I once spent an afternoon with his dad trying out mouthpieces. I still have the 64B in my collection. Frank Zottola was also a very nice man.
Bob's resume is incredible. He's still very active as a player from what I hear.
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Bob Zollota Reply with quote

50YrComeback wrote:

Yes that DOES seem like a lot of fun!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: