• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Learning to real sheet music in A = 440

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
owardlaw

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject: Learning to real sheet music in A = 440 Reply with quote

I'm starting to learn to read sheet music and I was wondering if I should proceed with reading it so my Bb = Bb and my C = C bc I want to play just with my jazz friends in the future. I'm not going to be in a brass band and will never have to read music with other instruments also treating Bb as C.

I know I could just buy a C trumpet but I have a Bb trumpet I like.

any thoughts?
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say just learn to read trumpet parts/method books as they are written, learn to transpose later. There are PLENTY of aspects of playing a brass instrument that you will need to address without worrying about transposition at this stage. And I would not buy a C trumpet for this reason, which you may not want to use for jazz anyway.

And, if you REALLY want to make progress, take private lessons. Again, there is a lot to learn starting out, I don’t think transposition is very high on the list. Besides, there is material like The Real Book that’s already transposed, just read the little black dots. 😉

Probably none of which is what you wanted to hear, but hey, you asked.😎

Brad

Last edited by Brad361 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that could certainly be done, you'd just need to use the correct fingering for the notes.

Whether you 'should' do it that way is questionable. It would work for the precise situation you mentioned, but could cause confusion and misunderstanding in other situations.

At some point you're likely to want/need to play real Bb trumpet parts.

I think that 'good advice' would be to learn the trumpet as a Bb instrument with its conventional fingerings, and ALSO learn and be fluent with transposing when you read sheet music that is written in 'concert pitch'. It's not difficult, you add 2 #'s to the key signature and play the 'next note' up.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
GizB
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend learning to read Bb music as written, and at the same time, learn the transposition to read music in C (does anybody call this "concert" anymore?) - 1 step up, add 2 sharps.

At some point you may want to branch out. As trumpeters, we're lucky that we are integral to so many different types of music - big band, concert band, symphonies, rock, jazz, r&b, funk, classical, wind bands. Even as a weekend warrior, I've had the pleasure in playing in almost all of these (with the exception of a symphony orchestra).

The transposition skill is invaluable in reading straight out of C fakebooks, which most of your bandmates will have. As a jazz player, you should be able to fake tunes on the piano, another invaluable skill for learning theory, and arranging & composing. You won't have to buy 2 sets of books; it's much easier for me to transpose on the trumpet than on the piano. ALL of my fakebooks are in C. I practice transposition reading them, and also the C version of the Aebersolds.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even more to the point, this is a non-issue. The best thing to do is simply forget about Bb v. C as far as pitch is concerned. Your very first job is to learn to play the instrument. For that, get a good teacher. If you try to teach yourself, you have a fool for a student!

The reason this is a non-issue is you want to play ‘jazz’. This is fine, but realise you have to be able to play any given tune in ANY key, and cover all the changes as well. So guess what? You will learn to transpose, in the jazzer’s sense, as you progress. Plus, most of the time you will have no music to read from. When you do, it will be equally in Bb or concert pitch.

So trying to game the systm won’t work. Just go learn to play, relax, learn to play in the jazz idiom and enjoy the journey!

Cheers

Andy
SMrtn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learn to read. Even if you don't end up using sheet music to play and or improvise, it's an indispensable ability to have as a musician. And it's only difficult at the beginning. You want to learn Autumn Leaves? It's easier when you can read and transpose.

Also, I second the previous poster's advice in getting a teacher. Why make your life difficult?
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Del wrote:
Even more to the point, this is a non-issue. The best thing to do is simply forget about Bb v. C as far as pitch is concerned. Your very first job is to learn to play the instrument. For that, get a good teacher. If you try to teach yourself, you have a fool for a student!

The reason this is a non-issue is you want to play ‘jazz’. This is fine, but realise you have to be able to play any given tune in ANY key, and cover all the changes as well. So guess what? You will learn to transpose, in the jazzer’s sense, as you progress. Plus, most of the time you will have no music to read from. When you do, it will be equally in Bb or concert pitch.

So trying to game the systm won’t work. Just go learn to play, relax, learn to play in the jazz idiom and enjoy the journey!

Cheers

Andy

This!

Brad
owardlaw

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great guys thanks for all the replies very helpful information!
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

owardlaw wrote:
Great guys thanks for all the replies very helpful information!

Thank you for sticking around to read the replies; you might be surprised at how many new members ask a question then disappear.

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: