• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Leadpipe Extension - Mini Trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
50YrComeback

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject: Leadpipe Extension - Mini Trumpet Reply with quote

I have a Carrol Brass mini trumpet just for travel & practice, not performing. I like it. The only thing I don't care for is the close proximity of the keys to my face. Do they make extensions for leadpipes that I could extend the distance? Have failed to find anything via google search. I know this would change the pitch somewhat. Do they make such a thing or is it just a bad idea?

50 year layoff
Giardenelli 812S (a/k/a Amati ATR-604HS)
CarolBrass CPT-1000 Mini Trumpet
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't think of any off-hand. Would probably be a custom job, done by someone like Josh Landress.

I feel your pain with the closeness of a pocket horn. The thing to keep in mind is an extension will then also lower pitch. Any extension longer than an inch or so, which would let you play with the horn's main tuning slide all the way in, isn't all that much extra space. But for you it might be enough.

What you might think about doing (if you're going the custom pipe route) is have it made to fit a cornet mouthpiece. That way you'll get another inch or so in length.

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also consider using earplugs as a stopgap solution. Or, just get a Carol Brass 3880 cornet - the blow is quite similar to their pocket trumpet:

https://www.thomannmusic.com/carol_brass_ccr3880gssbbslb.htm
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Leadpipe Extension - Mini Trumpet Reply with quote

50YrComeback wrote:
The only thing I don't care for is the close proximity of the keys to my face.

etc-etc wrote:
You could also consider using earplugs as a stopgap solution.

veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Tim's idea of using a trumpet-cornet adaptor is the best. A regular cornet mp would then give you about 1/2-3/4 inch longer from the valves. It would no doubt flatten the horn, but if you are only playing by yourself it doesn't matter much.
50YrComeback

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Leadpipe Extension - Mini Trumpet Reply with quote

I think i'll look into the custom piece option. Don't want another horn; this mini fits into the size of kids lunchbox (if they still use them);, easily into my backpack.

Thx for ideas;

GaryF

50 year layoff
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Leadpipe Extension - Mini Trumpet Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
50YrComeback wrote:
The only thing I don't care for is the close proximity of the keys to my face.

etc-etc wrote:
You could also consider using earplugs as a stopgap solution.

Well I thought the keys might feel a little further with earplugs in.

Actually, I somehow managed to read that the bell was too close to the ears.
trpthrld
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veery715 wrote:
I think Tim's idea of using a trumpet-cornet adaptor is the best. A regular cornet mp would then give you about 1/2-3/4 inch longer from the valves. It would no doubt flatten the horn, but if you are only playing by yourself it doesn't matter much.

This is a good idea.

A quick search on eBay came up with this:

www.ebay.com/itm/401545233019

www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=146827&s=The-Best-Trumpet-Lead-Pipe-Swab-EVER--

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPWAJqghk24&feature=youtu.be
50YrComeback

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Leadpipe Extension - Mini Trumpet Reply with quote

Quote:
Well I thought the keys might feel a little further with earplugs in.

Actually, I somehow managed to read that the bell was too close to the ears.

Thx for clearing up -I wasn't grasping the ear plug solution. I do carry the silicone type earplugs at all times to try to block my wife's snoring. I guess I could hand them out also to the people in the adjacent rooms in case my playing disturbs them.

RE: Bell - In fact, I like it close because I use a Wallace Practice Mute that's really quiet and I hear the note better with the bell closer. The instrument is only 7" in length from tip of leadpipe to bell.

GaryF

50 year layoff
50YrComeback

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject: Leadpipe Extension - Mini Trumpet Reply with quote

trpthrld wrote:
veery715 wrote:

This is a good idea.

A quick search on eBay came up with this:

www.ebay.com/itm/401545233019

Thanks for the link and to Tim

GaryF

50 year layoff
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just now compared three cornet mouthpieces with a cornet-trumpet mouthpiece adaptor vs a Yamaha Bobby Shew Lead trumpet mouthpiece, inserted into the same trumpet receiver.

Compared to Shew trumpet mouthpiece:

.... With the adaptor, the long-shank Yamaha cornet mouthpiece 14B4 has an identical length L from the outer edge of the receiver to the mouthpiece rim, within 1/16". The 14B4 is essentially a trumpet top on a longer cornet shank. Does not sound very good with the adaptor but would get you closer to the trumpet sound.

.... With the adaptor, the "wider OD" short-shank cornet mouthpiece, Wick 4 Heritage: the length L is 1/8" slightly shorter than for a trumpet mouthpiece. These Wicks were made for Sovereign cornets that have wider receivers. Does not sound good with the adaptor. You get a cornetty but very muffled sound.

.... With the adaptor, the "narrower OD" short-shank cornet mouthpiece, Yamaha 13E4: the length L is ca. 3/8" shorter than for a trumpet mouthpiece. This, too, does not sound good with the adaptor. Again, cornetty but muffled sound.

While the cornet to trumpet adaptor is feasible, there is no increase in length L, or you end up with even a shorter length. The sound with an adaptor is not good, either.

That said, perhaps you could entice a maker of mouthpieces (Mark Curry or James New) to make for you a custom super-long shank mouthpiece (same ID ratio but slower taper), perhaps 3/8" to 5/8" longer than a regular mouthpiece shank; you will have to push the tuning slide in to compensate. It would be best to ask the makers' opinion first because a longer shank may have some other undesirable effects.

You could also go for a modular mouthpiece (GR or Harrelson) in which case you would ask for a custom super-long shank with a matching screw. You would still have to buy the top and the rim. They will tell you whether this is feasible to make.
50YrComeback

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input - I appreciate it

50 year layoff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: