• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Volpe's Velox gossip

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Sperry

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve,

You have my vote of confidence!
Olds Clark Terry Bb
Schilke E3L
Bach 229 25H
Kanstul cct920s
Kanstul 1525 flugel
Reeves' 43 m/s
Haefner 1HX
Stork 5p
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grizzle wrote:
^I get it, and I would be upset, too.

No one wants these done more than I do -- not anyone posting here, anyone in line -- no one. By magnitudes.

I believe that. Thanks for the update.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m a big fan and user of Torpedo cases. That being said, I understand both sides here; buyers who pre-ordered and paid for a Velox, some time ago, and Steve’s explanations for the delays.
I have no doubt that Steve is a hard working and ethical business person, I believe he just ran into a lot of unexpected problems with this project. But an offer of refund is pretty much all he can be expected to do at this point, which also should make it obvious that he is, again, an ethical guy.

Brad
lgt0412
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
I’m a big fan and user of Torpedo cases. That being said, I understand both sides here; buyers who pre-ordered and paid for a Velox, some time ago, and Steve’s explanations for the delays.
I have no doubt that Steve is a hard working and ethical business person, I believe he just ran into a lot of unexpected problems with this project. But an offer of refund is pretty much all he can be expected to do at this point, which also should make it obvious that he is, again, an ethical guy.

Brad

+1

I own/have owned 3 Torpedos and will buy as many in the future as I ever need/can afford. They have always gone FAR over and above what they had to when it came to customer service with me and I'm sure that I am NOT so special to be the only one they treat that way! Lol

Their products are amazing and, in an era where customer service no longer exists in most places, they always, in my experience, do the right thing ... as best they can!!

Keep it up Torpedo!! You rock!!
Conn 38B
Van Laar BR3 Flugel
Blessing Super Artist cornet
Greg Black Mouthpieces
trumpetpatrick

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Steve,
I'm a re-imagined coyote customer, and was just wondering if you have any updates on it. I'm sure that it will be worth the wait, and be by far the best case on the market, but am just wondering how long I have to keep my current heavy quad case on my back. Can't wait for the new cases wheels!
grizzle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetpatrick wrote:
Hey Steve,
I'm a re-imagined coyote customer, and was just wondering if you have any updates on it.

The CAD work is mostly done, at least for the exterior, and about 1/2 done for the interior (estimating 100 of 150 total design hours). Cutting plugs is easy after that, but I don't want to finalize the design until I absolutely finish and put the Velox into production -- there may be one or two learning opportunities, and cutting plugs is kind of a final thing.

Plus, once the mold plug gets cut, they send me an invoice.

The minute the Velox is in production is the minute I hire someone+ to do the production work, and the Coyote should happen very quickly after that point. I cannot emphasize enough how much easier that case will be in comparison.

I hesitate to say when ... but, as always, a refund or exchange or credit is an option.
612-849-3574
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So.... any updates? The Torpedo Bags Facebook page promised a bulk email with a "major update, to be sent In the next few days" on November 22nd. Have I missed an email?
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone heard any recent news about this? Two months since the last update - I keep hoping that the trickle of information means that they're almost there, and want to get over the last obstacle and announce, rather than continuing to say "still not ready", but I've been hoping that for a long time.
snichols
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve A wrote:
Anyone heard any recent news about this? Two months since the last update - I keep hoping that the trickle of information means that they're almost there, and want to get over the last obstacle and announce, rather than continuing to say "still not ready", but I've been hoping that for a long time.

This thing started as a Kickstarter like 3 years ago, right? I had completely forgotten about it...
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snichols wrote:
Steve A wrote:

This thing started as a Kickstarter like 3 years ago, right? I had completely forgotten about it...

Hate to say it, but I’ve also stopped paying attention. No disrespect towards Steve intended, I just think it’s taken longer than anyone predicted.

Brad
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This thing started as a Kickstarter like 3 years ago, right?

Yes. I believe that the first deliveries were "promised" in the May/June 2015 time frame. The estimated delivery date was revised repeatedly.

Last summer (2017) they moved on to another big project (Cronkhite bags), and eventually stopped offering an estimated shipping date for the Velox cases. Understandable, as all of their estimates had obviously been way off target.
jhahntpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really wanted to buy the Velox through Kickstarter. I love my Torpedo bag case and love that its a small business, made in America, by someone that only cares about making a great product. At the time I was tremendously skeptical about the Kickstarter model of buying something that doesn't yet exist. I'm glad that I did not do that at this point being almost 3 years delayed.

When the case is finished I will definitely consider getting it but no telling when that will be. The Re-Imagined Coyote is also on my radar but will only be finished after the Velox.
Piccolo: Yamaha 9830
Flugel: Yamaha 8315G
Cornet: York Eminence
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jhahntpt wrote:
I really wanted to buy the Velox through Kickstarter. I love my Torpedo bag case and love that its a small business, made in America, by someone that only cares about making a great product. At the time I was tremendously skeptical about the Kickstarter model of buying something that doesn't yet exist. I'm glad that I did not do that at this point being almost 3 years delayed.

This was certainly sensible in the first place, and looks more so in hindsight. I have a Torpedo bag (classic, nylon) that's been obviously wearing out for quite a while, and I ordered the Velox in July of 2016 (so, a long time after the Kickstarter project) with the intention of replacing the case that was wearing out. (I also preordered a reimagined Coyote, not expecting to wait anything like this long, but with less of a sense of urgency.)

I'm sympathetic to the fact that they're a smallish business, that developing a new product takes time, that they want to make a top-quality product, etc., etc., but if we're going to be waiting this long for what we've paid for, personally, I think it'd be nice if they could at least give regular (say, monthly?) updates on what's happened since last time. This has been a long, frustrating wait, and I've considered asking for a refund *many* times, but then this would just have been a long frustrating wait for nothing. I'd feel at least somewhat better about this if they would take 15-20 minutes a month to fill us in on what we're waiting for. The development process may be unpredictable, but telling us what's going on, especially when the project becomes this interminable, shouldn't be, IMO.

(And, in all honesty, part of the reason I bumped this thread was in the hopes that Steve Kriesel might check in. No luck so far.)
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a very satisfied Coyote owner, I'm sad to see this happening. It's a truism of so many small businesses that just being good at making a quality product is not enough to sustain you long term. Being good at managing an entire business top to bottom doesn't intersect with high levels of artistic or engineering skills very often.

It's at least as important, if not more so, to manage customer expectations and sales/marketing/support as it is to make a great product.

I can't help but wonder if the Cronkhite buyout is a contributor to this. Perhaps that 'branch' is more profitable right now and occupying most of the time, but it's not exactly helping sales of the products most people know Torpedobags for over the years.
Steve A
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandyTX wrote:

I can't help but wonder if the Cronkhite buyout is a contributor to this. Perhaps that 'branch' is more profitable right now and occupying most of the time, but it's not exactly helping sales of the products most people know Torpedobags for over the years.

Yeah - I've wondered the same thing. Honestly, if the new products have tied up too much of their resources, and they needed something else to stay profitable, I'd understand that, and, if they said so, I wouldn't have a problem with it. The absence of an explanation is a bit harder to swallow, though.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, any updates you can share with us?
Grits Burgh
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot off the press:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1676721500/volpes-veloxtm-trumpet-case/posts/2268093

Warm regards,
Grits
King Master Bb Cornet (1945)
B&S 3145 Challenger I Series Flugelhorn
Life is short; buy every horn you want and die happy.
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about another update?!
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt you’ll get that here, you probably need to contact Steve/Torpedo directly.

Brad
SHS_Trumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
I doubt you’ll get that here, you probably need to contact Steve/Torpedo directly.

Brad

Already did. When you're dealing with a product that is years behind the original delivery estimates I think it's good to go from multiple angles.

I really feel for the people wo helped the original GoFundMe campaign! I've only been waiting since September.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: