• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

maintenance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RDWII

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: maintenance Reply with quote

Not sure if this is the right forum... will move if need be, just let me know.

I am starting back after a 37 years layoff...

I put the horn away in good shape, and have oiled periodically. BUT, the valves just dont seem as quick as they used to be.

I've swabbed the valve bores with a lint free rag and run clean oil in. STill a bit sluggish.

Perhaps it will loosen up over time, but if not, any tricks?

Thanks.
TrpPro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a soft toothbrush with a degreaser and then rinse well with water a couple times a year on both the pistons and the valve casings.

Also, snake out the tubing often.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the valves ever 'stick', or does the action just seem slower / heavier than you'd like. And does a valve not return UP quickly enough so-as to cause a problem?

Slow (but not sticking) valve action might be due to using a too heavy valve oil - have you bought new, or using an old bottle. Or maybe there's some old grease in the top valve cap and rubbing on the stem.

The way you describe having cleaned the valves sounds good. But maybe there is old grease / goo in the tubing. A thorough cleaning with swabs, brush, pull-thru, etc. might help.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would use alcohol 95% and really scrub the valves with a soft bristle toothbrush. Replace all pads and buy new springs. Use really hot soapy water and snake as much as you can as clean valves become gummed up easilymif you don’t clean tubing 1st. That has been my experience. Also if horn still has excellent compression use thin oil and go heavier if a bit leaky. Fastest way to clean and sterilize a gold or silver plated horn is with a steam machine and. Will absolutely get all the grease or scale out of a horn. I have used this method on everything without lacquer and I have a very clean and trouble free horn.(s). Don’t try on lacquer as the extreme heat can bubble lacquer, but no issues on raw brass or plated horns with no lacquer.
I am not a horn repairman so check with others on the steam but no issues on the “5 silver and brass horns I have.

Rod
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: