• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha Xeno 8335 and Getzen Capri 590

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Icecream

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:06 am    Post subject: Yamaha Xeno 8335 and Getzen Capri 590 Reply with quote

Hello

I'm a novice adult student and I am looking for a first horn.

I'd like to get the best horn that I can afford, and am looking at either the Yamaha Xeno 8335 (or 8345 (bigger bore)) and the Getzen 590 (or (s)).

I haven't had a chance to play either, but if there is anyone here who has, can you tell me if they are comparable?

I hear the Getzen has better valves, but they are both top of the line for a student trumpet...

any help would be appreciated!
derekthor
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the Yamaha is a pro horn, so if you've narrowed your search to those two and you want the "best" one, your best bet is probably the Xeno.
Icecream

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it foolish for a student to get a pro horn?

Should I be looking at a different model Yamaha?

I'm open to suggestions!
derekthor
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most of what makes a student horn a student horn is the fact that it's cheap to manufacture and fix if something breaks (I'm sure some of the more experienced folks here could chime in on this as well). I'd assume that since you're an adult, you'd take better care of the instrument than a 12-year old would. Go for the pro horn.

As to asking for other suggestions, well, I'd recommend the trumpet that I play

Edit: What I'm really trying to say is, by asking that question, you can get 50 different answers from 50 different people. If there's anywhere you can get to that lets you try out instruments, spend an afternoon or two there with some other people who can listen to you from in front of the bell and can comment on the sound. Pick whichever feels and sounds the best.
bwoodard
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these horns new? How serious are you about your development? As an adult you will probably not achieve a status where you wil tell the difference between a Pro level Yamaha Xeno and the Intermediate level Getzen. I would go for the Getzen due to vastly superior valves with a lifetime warranty and spend my extra cash on lessons with a good teacher to keep you practicing useful stuff.

2015 Harrelson Summit 4/10
2014 Getzen 4895 Flugelhorn
2014 Getzen 3850
2010 Callet Sima Bb
2010 Callet Sima C
73 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
48 Conn 80A Victor Cornet
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Getzen equivlent to the Xeno wuld probably be the Custom 3050. You should also look at the Getzen Proteus or Eterna, which is freer blowing than the Capri. The Yamahas are excellent horns as well. Their eqivlent to the Capri would probably be the YTR4335 (or whatever they are designating it now). The Capri and the 4xxx series are both considered intermediate or "step-up" horns. If I were you I'd be giving the Getzen Proteus a hard look.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icecream wrote:
Is it foolish for a student to get a pro horn?

Should I be looking at a different model Yamaha?

I'm open to suggestions!

Not foolish buying the best instrument you can afford. The best teacher you can afford is also a wise investment. I love Getzen horns, but the Capri is simply not designed to compete with a Xeno. I think even the owners of Getzen would tell you this. If you can get these for even money, go with the Xeno. Or keep looking and wait for a similar bargain on a higher tier Getzen. (At least 700 series)

That being said I had a 300 series Getzen cornet that played really well. Kanstul is also notorious for making student horns that are really worth buying. Def do everything you can to play at least one of a model you're considering, there are some real differences in how cornets play that don't equate to better or worse, but just different. Go with what's easy for you, and that includes what's easy for you to sound how you would like to sound. You will wind up playing with less effort, and advancing quicker.
Icecream

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone!

907s Getzen Proteus sure does look good! Thanks for the suggestion

I do like the fact that it's made in USA.

Is the high end Xeno made in USA, too?

$2k is my price range, so I have some flexibility.

I need to find a shop that has them both I think!
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icecream wrote:
Thanks everyone!

907s Getzen Proteus sure does look good! Thanks for the suggestion

I do like the fact that it's made in USA.

Is the high end Xeno made in USA, too?

I need to find a shop that has them both I think!

Yamaha closed their US factories in 2007. the trumpets are now made in Japan. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIqDhO1iddo
Richabai

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Several years back I got to try a Xeno side by side with one of the new (at that time) NY Artist model Bb horns. If I was buying a horn right then and there, I would have picked the Xeno at about half the cost over the other, because it was a better player for me.

The right horn for you is the right horn.

I wouldn't get wrapped up in labels like "student" or "professional" horn - especially when it comes to how you view yourself as a player. My mother always said, "Buy the best that you can afford and take care of it." The upside of buying just about any good trumpet is that if you take care of it, there might be little to no depreciation if you decide to sell it down the road.

I'm a big fan of almost all the Getzen and Yamaha horns that I've played and/or own. Refer back to paragraph two.
ghelbig
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

derekthor wrote:
by asking that question, you can get 50 different answers from 50 different people.

Probably more like 100 answers from 50 people.

Icecream wrote:

The 907S is a really nice trumpet - but $500 for a trumpet and $1500 for lessons would be better than $1500 for a trumpet and $500 for lessons in my opinion. And I could sell you my Besson International for 1/2 of that (shameless plug) and it would be several years before your playing skill would let you tell the difference.

I had a YTR-4335 and I did not like it - it's the only trumpet I had zero regrets about selling. The YTR-5335 (Allegro) is a lot nicer than the YTR-4335.

The advice about trying a bunch and picking the one that works the best for you is spot on. I would add that you won't be able to tell which one is right for you until you've been playing for a while, so don't get too hung up on it right now.

If it were me - I'd pick Getzen / Kanstul for the quality (and that you can actually ¨talk¨ to both Mr. Getzen and Mr. Kanstul) or Yamaha / Bach for the ease of reselling it (when my style matured).

Gary.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you really looking for a first horn? I usually recommend getting with a teacher and even renting until you're in a better position to judge any potential horn for purchase. Sometimes a teacher will have horns you can try so you can see if you have preferences. I've played a pile of horns and have a specific preference for certain Bach models and in general don't gravitate towards Yamaha, at least not for Bb and C horns.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are good trumpets, but they aren't comparable.

A few basics, which you may already know, but I'll mention just in case. Music instruments generally fall into three categories: beginner, intermediate and pro. The Getzen 590 is just into the intermediate category, while the Yamaha 8335 is just into the pro category.

Typical advice is to get a child beginner a beginner horn, because children are rough on instruments. Once they've grown up a bit, learned to take good care of the instrument and proven their interest and commitment, get them an intermediate or pro. (With trumpets, conventional wisdom is to skip the intermediate category and graduate to a pro horn. It's different with other types of musical instruments.)

With adult beginners, typical advice is to start with an intermediate horn, which might be suitable for your entire playing career. Again, trumpet players often skip the intermediate category and go pro.

In my opinion, however, there's nothing wrong with a beginner horn. Reputable beginner trumpets work well and can be a lot of fun to play. You could set aside the money you save and use it for lessons, which would take you further than spending it on a more expensive pro horn. Later, you could reward your efforts by selling your first horn and getting a pro horn. By that time, you will have developed your playing skills to the point where you could play-test horns and choose one that you really like.

There are no right or wrong answers here, I think, especially if you're shopping Getzens and Yamahas. A lot depends on how you like to do things, your level of commitment early in your playing career, your finances, etc.

This will be a lot of fun for you. Hope this info is helpful. Good luck!
Piccolo Stomvi
AlfaFreak
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another point to consider is that some of the student horns are actually designed to play a little "tighter" etc etc to help developing players to master the art of playing and as those strengths develop a more "professional" trumpet will fit the needs. A large bore horn (8345) may just make it hard for you to achieve good results and discourage you.

Best advice is to find a good teacher if you don't have one already and get assistance with ears that are with you. As a teacher I really hate when a student turns up after Xmas or their B'day with a shiny new horn that is completely inappropriate to their needs, simply because Mom or Dad wished to surprise them and chose it without advice or the child themselves tried it.

YamahaCollector FaceBook
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a budget of $2,000 you have a LOT to pick from on our marketplace! I agree that getting something used for a fraction of that and investing in lessons from a great teacher is a really good idea. You can't go wrong with an old Olds, and I've played a few nice Bueschers too. These aren't super cheap like they used to be, but are still great value.
Paul Tandberg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buying a pro horn, like the Yamaha 8335, does not mean you can't also invest in lessons. You can do both! Buy the horn you like best AND take lessons. One does not exclude the other. Finances permitting, buy the horn you want to buy.

If you go with the 8335, you will know you have one the most highly regarded, and best selling, pro horns on the market. If you like the blow, that can be a fun feeling. If you like the Capri just as well and feel as good holding it, go with the Capri. Both horns work, how do you feel when you hold them and play them? Doesn't matter if it is rational, what is?
vertrni

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is an old post, but I will still reply.
My first horn was the Getzen Capri from 1968. I am still very fond of it, and I think is an awful lot of horn for the money. The only thing that often irritates me is the Amado waterkeys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: