• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Braces-Please tell your students/parents

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a certain amount of regret for NOT taking recommendations for braces more seriously in my youth. Time will tell if correcting my teeth now will be a help or a hindrance to my playing.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
onlyson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a student now who has had his braces on for about 2 months. It hasn't really affected him that much. However, he was a less than average player to begin with. I feel some of his issues were dental related anyways. Poor sound, and not much range. He's always struggled to play beyond a 4th line D and he's in eighth grade.

So recently, like in the last few weeks, his sound has begun to improve, and his range is almost an F. He has grown a lot lately (he's 6 feet tall), so that might be a factor in his improvement. But the braces might actually be helping to correct the issues that have held him back thus far.

I hope this works out, because he's pretty bright and gets all the music stuff like time, rhythms, and accidentals, but has really suffered with the physical part of playing.
1951 Martin Committee Deluxe #3 Bore
ACB Coppernicus
Couesnon Flugel
Carol Pocket Trumpet
TimCBrown

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Testimonial and Question re: Invisaligns Reply with quote

I’ve got a testimonial and a question.

The testimonial: I had a bottom, middle incisor that went to the Dark Side. After two root canals, the tooth failed yet again. Using Invisaligns was actually Plan D for me, after: A) Another root canal (vetoed by dentist and endodontist - strike three, you’re out!), B) Chet Baker approach (extract the tooth and leave a gap - vetoed by dentist and others), C) Implant (vetoed by periodontist - not enough room). So, I had to settle for using braces to fill the gap by moving around the remaining teeth. Some crowns made traditional braces problematic, so I went for the Invisaligns. They’ve been terrific. We were moving the remaining teeth through bone, and the remaining teeth were made quite loose as part of the process. They were so loose that I wouldn’t have been able to play at all without the Invisaligns. With the Invisaligns, I was able to play, without any significant issues, from the very first day. With rare exceptions (I’ll elaborate if asked), I’ve experienced ZERO discomfort with the trays, and that includes whenever I’m playing trumpet. The only real inconvenience is that, as previously stated, I’m supposed to have the trays in 22 hrs/day. I’m also not allowed to eat or drink anything besides water while they’re in. That is in direct conflict with my rigorous beer drinking regimen. I will admit that I have ‘cheated’ a bit with the 22 hr rule in order to make sure that the brewpubs and bartenders do not suffer financially while I am on this program.

The question: In 10 weeks, I’ll be done with the program. I’ll then need to switch to a retainer. There are several options. My orthodontist and dentist both want me to use a bonded retainer. It’s basically a wire that would be bonded to the inside of my front, lower teeth. Here’s what it looks like:
http://www.deardoctor.com/images/ddwc/consultations/bonded-retainers/bonded-retainer.jpg

Other options include “industrial strength” Invisalign trays - something I'm quite open to (I'd wear these not only at night, but also while playing trumpet until I've got confidence in the relocated incisors).

Has anyone had experience with a bonded retainer (yourself, a student, a colleague)? On the plus side, it would be in effect 24/7, and (in theory) it would provide a lot of stability for those remaining incisors. On the minus side, I have a tough time believing that this would not affect my tonguing, and it’s got to be a problem when it comes to cleaning, doesn’t it?

I’d really appreciate hearing about anyone’s experience with bonded retainers. Thanks!!!
[/url]
amtrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bonded retainer on my lower teeth. Not a big deal and as far as I can tell doesn't affect my playing. I'd rather have that than a retainer I have to worry about taking in and out.
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a (bonded) permanent wire retainer on my front lower teeth, and although I was skeptical that it would be okay, I've continued with no issues for two years since they were first put in. I have played full-time professionally as a freelancer for many years and decided to have an Invisalign treatment later in life for a couple of reasons that I may be able to share at another time.
danielgerona

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: How to play trumpet with braces! Reply with quote

Hey everyone! Just wanted to chime in.
I recently interviewed Jordi Albert, a trumpet teacher in Spain who is researching how to play trumpet with braces.
He is so dedicated to his work, he got braces even though he didn't need them to research the best ways to teach.
Here's what he has to say!

Link

Subscribe to my Youtube channel for trumpet tips every tuesday!
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheiden wrote:
...[was told] that the Invisalign can be made with a bogus tooth to fill the spot until the implant can be fit with a new tooth. Even said that I should be able to play on the Invisaligns, which I am highly suspect of.

Update: I'm around 6 months into my Invisalign treatment. I was misled by the first orthodontist (not one I chose to use) about how they address a missing tooth. Rather than fashioning a false tooth they (the orthodontist I DID decide to use) simply provide a supply of thin dental wax sheets. About once a week I tear of a piece of wax and trim it to fit the void in the tray. Sounds crude but most folks don't detect that I'm missing a tooth.

After a 5-6 month hiatus from playing to let the bone and gum grafts heal, I've just this morning tried playing on the Invisaligns and was pleasantly surprised that I can. It feels a bit weird but it seems to be working. It's going to take some time to see if I can recover all my ability but so far, so good.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
garrettjazzer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting them off or getting them on may be a struggle but it all comes down to getting used to it and finding out how to work with it. Spend as much time looking at yourself and practicing as possible.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned earlier that my girlfriend is an office manager for a cosmetic dentist, and she has been in the dental field for twenty years. No, she’s not a dentist or hygienist, she has been on the business side of dentistry. That being said, she and I disagree on the need for what seems like every kid today getting braces, but personally, I think they are over-prescribed. When I was in 8th grade, my family dentist was pushing for me to get braces, I was VERY against it because I knew how they would impact my playing. My parents agreed, so I was spared. My teeth are far from perfectly aligned, and guess what? It’s not an issue, never has been, and I don’t believe that’s the reason I didn’t become a model or actor.😉

My point with this personal story is that I believe many (certainly NOT all!) kids get braces because it’s BUSINESS for orthodontists, and is not always necessary. Some kids absolutely do need braces, and while Invisalign may be less profitable for dentists, I don’t think that’s why few kids go that route. Kids lose things, those trays are expensive to replace and if the kid won’t leave the trays in, their parents money is wasted.

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Pedagogy All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: