• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mouthpiece suggestions for a Besson Prototype Cornet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcjweller

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject: Mouthpiece suggestions for a Besson Prototype Cornet Reply with quote

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, although I couldn't find a specific thread on it. (could be operator error...)

I have an old Besson Prototype cornet that I'd like to get into playing shape, and sooner or later I'll need a mouthpiece. This is the small short shank style where a modern cornet mouthpiece won't fit into the receiver. I should also note this is the old style with the separate mouthpipes that you would change out for different pitches.

The very inside edge diameter of the receiver is 9.22mm or 0.363" so obviously a tapered mouthpiece shank would need to be smaller than that in order to taper out to that diameter.

I'm used to a Bach 3C on a trumpet but have recently moved to a 1 1/4C, I'm looking for recommendations (new or old but if old preferably not rare) of something that will come reasonably close to what I'm used to. Hoping for suggestions...
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email Mark Curry. He has all the standard rims and can match your 3C or 1 1/4C.

http://www.currympc.com/index.php?id=49
scott@95603
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Mouthpiece suggestions for a Besson Prototype Cornet Reply with quote

[quote="mcjweller"]Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, although I couldn't find a specific thread on it. (could be operator error...)

"I have an old Besson Prototype cornet that I'd like to get into playing shape, and sooner or later I'll need a mouthpiece."

I probably have the same cornet manufactured in 1893. My first try was to have a lead pipe made that would allow me to use my 1.5c cornet mouthpiece. My second try was to send the original lead pipe and a suitable 1.5c mouthpiece to Schilke and have them make a mouthpiece for it. The mouthpiece worked out well.
English Besson cornet 1893
Kanstul 1530 cornet
LakeTahoeTrpt
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Kennedy wrote:
Email Mark Curry. He has all the standard rims and can match your 3C or 1 1/4C.

http://www.currympc.com/index.php?id=49

Do this. Mark supplies mouthpieces to brass bands all over the world and can almost certainly match your lead pipe.
Benge Flugelhorn 3X
Buescher 400 Model 275 Cornet
Curry Precision Mouthpieces
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggestion: Your email should have a subject like Curry 7DC with 1905 Besson cornet shank.

In other words be very specific. Subjects where someone says, "Hey, I got a question," don't usually get answered.

Make sense? Imagine the thousands of emails he gets. And even with that, it may take weeks for him to finally respond. Good luck.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Denis Wick and Stork understand the history of the horn and may be a better fit for tone and intonation than the Curry.
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you could buy a vintage mouthpiece:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Besson-15-Cornet-Mouthpiece/233087944987?hash=item36451fc91b:g:ChsAAOSwlINcNnd4

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
mcjweller

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas!

So...

1) I did contact Denis Wick, his suggestion was to have the receiver reamed to accept a standard cornet shank, that way I would have maximum flexibility of choice. Honestly it's a good idea EXCEPT that this receiver is serial matched to the horn so for history sake, I don't want to alter it. I might however look into having another receiver MADE to replace the original so it can remain unaltered.

2) Yes - I did see those mouthpieces on eBay and I may get one (good reason not to alter the receiver). It's a gamble though because there's no way to know how they compare to what I'm used to until I get one and measure it.

3) I did also contact Mark Curry just today, I hope he has some suggestions because I'm really interested in his vintage series mouthpieces but again the shank size is an issue. But he may have a "ready to go" solution, I can't believe I'm the first person in the world to encounter this

What I was hoping was that someone would say "oh sure just go get bran x model y they're made just for that..." Not sure such a thing exists.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcjweller wrote:
Thanks for the ideas!

So...

1) I did contact Denis Wick, his suggestion was to have the receiver reamed to accept a standard cornet shank, that way I would have maximum flexibility of choice. Honestly it's a good idea EXCEPT that this receiver is serial matched to the horn so for history sake, I don't want to alter it. I might however look into having another receiver MADE to replace the original so it can remain unaltered.

Agreed, I wouldn't want the pipe reamed out either.

I'd be looking towards either having a piece altered, or having one custom-made to fit....

Speaking of which, do you have ANY mouthpiece/s that fit this cornet already?
If you do, it should be straightforward enough to send one to a custom shop (I'd recommend James R New or Matt Frost, both excellent work at very reasonable prices and without long delays) - you could ask for the same shank/backbore and basic cup shape but with a rim profile and ID that suits you.

Quote:
2) Yes - I did see those mouthpieces on eBay and I may get one (good reason not to alter the receiver). It's a gamble though because there's no way to know how they compare to what I'm used to until I get one and measure it.

Without wanting to say "definitely" - I'd be very surprised if it compared in any way, mouthpieces tended to be made much narrower ID back in those days, if you're hoping for something that's 3c-1.25c kinda of size but that age you're looking for needles in haystacks.

That said, if you're looking at collectability value... it might make sense to have one that matches so that you have "the set" (and you can then use that one with a decent custom maker to have a piece made that suits you).

Quote:
3) I did also contact Mark Curry just today, I hope he has some suggestions because I'm really interested in his vintage series mouthpieces but again the shank size is an issue. But he may have a "ready to go" solution, I can't believe I'm the first person in the world to encounter this

What I was hoping was that someone would say "oh sure just go get bran x model y they're made just for that..." Not sure such a thing exists.

I'm not sure such a thing exists (stock) either...

Don't be too surprised/offended if Mark Curry doesn't reply to your email, he's rather well known for failing to reply to emails (must've sent 3 or 4 inquiries over the years and not had a reply to any of them)... hopefully your mileage varies as his work is excellent.
mcjweller

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the last point,

Maybe the better strategy would be for someone who has a curry vintage cornet series mouthpiece (of any size cup/rim) to get a set of calipers and measure the outside diameter of the shank at both ends of the taper.

I have no cornet mouthpieces (modern or old) to compare to, I have a nondescript flugel mouthpiece that fits (but I have no idea what type of taper it has as you have various types on the flugel) and I can't say how well it fits, I can only say you can insert it to about half way up it's shank snugly in the receiver.

I couldn't find specs on the shank size on curry's website, and why would you if they are all standard cornet shank...
mcjweller

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update

This gets a bit more strange. The "flugelhorn" mouthpiece I had laying around, which I always assumed was a flugelhorn piece because of the ridiculously deep cup, doesn't seem to add up to the "standard" flugel mouthpieces I've found. This one is only 2.1" long end to end, has a rim and bowl on the outside just like a conventional mouthpiece, but inside it is deep, very deep. Maybe french horn deep..

Anyway, the narrow end of the shank is 0.336" and the wide end 0.385" for a 0.050" taper over an inch.

My receiver opening is 0.369"

It seems a "short shank" cornet mouthpiece will start off at 0.341" for a 0.388" receiver opening and a 0.060" taper. (steeper)

So it seems my receiver is built with a 0.050" taper and is 0.019" smaller than that of a short-shank cornet taper, however a LONG cornet shank matches the taper, and has a 0.385" receiver so my receiver is 0.016" too small for that.

By this math, the standard modern short shank mouthpiece will not fit. The standard long shank will get in there, match the taper but it will only go in 0.466" (where in the same math says it would normally go in 0.733" in a "normal" receiver) so only 63% of the intended insertion.

So I see now why Denis Wick said just ream the receiver to accept the shank, problem is (aside from not wanting to alter the instrument), if I did that there's not much wall left in the receiver at all...paper thin if I were to do that.

I'm basing the "standard" dimensions off another post I found in here searching around, and I am trusting they're right as I have neither modern cornet receivers nor modern cornet mouthpieces to verify!
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an 1890 F. Besson London cornet and had the same problem. I was looking more to find an original F. Besson London mouthpiece from the era that would fit and complete the "kit", than I was looking for one to play the cornet with. I finally found one on eBay, an "18", and bought it for 30-something bucks. Its tiny shank fits the receiver(s) perfectly, but the cup, while extremely deep and funnel-shaped, is also very narrow. It has a wonderful, vintage sound, but is too small for me to actually play much of anything on.

I said all that to let you know that original mouthpieces are out there and aren't too expensive, but will likely be too small for you, too. I wouldn't modify a piece of history either, so having Mark Curry make one with your choice of cup and a small shank is probably your best bet. His mouthpieces are great, BTW.
mcjweller

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1890 - that must be nice!

I'm going to play mine quite a bit, and it seems to me now that I have some numbers, that the best solution (cost aside) would be to have a separate receiver that will accept modern mouthpiece shanks. Then I'm not married to any one custom mouthpiece.

My company has an engineering branch so I'm going to bribe the guys with good food and beer to make a solidworks 3D model of the existing receiver, and then "scale it up" where it needs to in order to taper up to a larger opening (and therefore be a slightly larger diameter overall).

Then I'll just get it machined with the correct internal (and external) tapers including where the receiver enters the leadpipe). That way it can still look reasonably "right" despite being completely new and slightly larger diameter overall.

Fun. This may take a while, but I will eventually come back and advise how I made out. Brass isn't cheap so I'd like to be real sure before I cut
scott@95603
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mouthpiece from my 1893 English Besson & Co. Prototype cornet is an English Besson & Co. Prototype cornet mouthpiece. As best I can tell it has an overall length of 2.08 inches with a 1.05 inch length shank. The small end of the shank diameter is .332 inches. The large end of the shank diameter is .374 inches.

Schilke made for me a mouthpiece using the Besson receiver and Besson mouthpiece. The measurements of the Schilke mouthpiece are extremely close to the original, except for the overall length which is slightly longer because the Bach rim I requested is much rounder than the rather flat rim of the Besson mouthpiece. At least that is what I think.
English Besson cornet 1893
Kanstul 1530 cornet
mcjweller

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I promised I'd follow up so here it is!

1) I can totally have a new receiver made. But, set ups and machining time will be pretty steep because things like tapers need to be tight tolerance.

2) Another option is to look at exising parts out there and modify to suit. I'm actually considering getting a flugelhorn receiver (if I can find one with a 0.050" taper) and modify it to suit. It would need to be modified in length at the taper end as well as the back end, and have a larger tapered collar added.

The real challenge seems to be in finding tubing of the correct ID and OD. Most available tubing is 0.014" wall meaning I can get the right inside diameter but be very thin and flimsy compared to the original, if I did that I would have to buy a cornet receiver to solder on to get the taper, and it would still be thin.

3) My 3rd option is to find another old besson receiver and do as Denis Wick suggested...ream it out.

If there are any flugel players out there who want to measure their receivers inside and outside diameters at the instrument end, and at the mouthpiece end...and for that matter the shank length, and smallest and largest shank diameter on the mating mouthpiece, that may help also (but not if its a "french" taper!)
mcjweller

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delano,

Would you mind grabbing a set of calipers and measuring the smallest outside diameter on that Yamaha shank, along with the overall length of the shank and the largest diameter at the other end?

In deeper examination, this receiver may have been "reemed" already through other people jamming more modern mouthpieces into it. So while it's not the size as a modern standard receiver, it seems its not as it was originally, either.

Where I live I do not have access to mouthpieces...cornet mouthpieces are special order only regardless of the make. So I can't see myself buying all sorts just to test fit, I would be indebted to specific measurements along with the make/model that anyone is willing to provide.

Thanks!!!
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just deleted my post. I was forgotten that I own an old Besson Prototype Class A cornet myself, one with a leadpipe like a flugelhorn. I tried the Yamaha 14E in it and though it has a thinner shank than a Wick or Curry it will not fit in the Besson.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yamaha's short shank mp's are really tiny mouthpieces.
Measurements:
total length: 55 mm (2.165 inch)
shank length: 27 mm (1.06 inch)
shank beginning os diameter: 8.5 mm (0.335 inch)
shank os diameter at receiver entrance: 9.5 mm (0.374 inch)
largest os shank diameter: 10 mm (0.394 inch).

N.B. I don't own a 16E but I own a 14E and a 7C and both have the same measurements.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option: my Besson Prototype is for parts only (not playable). I have the removable leadpipe (like a flugel leadpipe with the two knobs) which I suppose yours also has. It is 85.5 mm long and has an outside diameter (where it fits in the cornet) of 11.3 mm. If yours is the same you can have mine for free to modify it. My Yamaha 14E ss mp inserts in it for about 11 mm. My Wick and Curry short shank mouthpieces don't fit at all in it.
The Yamaha short shank pieces are great BTW.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: