• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Best All Around Horn - Getzen Professional Bb Trumpets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
time_is_mula

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Best All Around Horn - Getzen Professional Bb Trumpets Reply with quote

What would be some recommendations for a good all around trumpet from Getzen? Particularly new models from Getzen’s Artist, Custom Series, and Eterna Series. I know that playing a horn first is key when choosing the best fit, but I would like to narrow my choices since I already have a Getzen Genesis. Based on specs and anecdotal evidence, what would be some recommendations for a good all around trumpet from Getzen?
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that most of the 'non-Bach' brands have a ML model in their product line that is very similar to Bach 180-37S - similar bell, bracing, leadpipe, etc. With Getzen, I think it is one of the 305x models.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two Getzen "all around" horns i would suggest you consider first are the new 907DX and the 3050.

Really, though, it boils down to your needs as a player. I used a 3051 as my main horn for a while. The 3052 (think Bach Strad with a 37 bell and a 25 reverse leadpipe) is a pretty common setup, and lots of folks use their 900 Severinsen horns for a wide range of playing....Try everything you can get your hands on.

Good luck!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, some of it depends on what your needs are.

I know you showed a preference for new, but I used my Severinsen Getzen in college (UNT) and the Air Force, playing in concert band, classical ensemble and solo, in dance band and soul band. However I did not use it in orchestra.

But, again, depends on how you're going to use it.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:00 pm; edited 3 times in total
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
It seems that most of the 'non-Bach' brands have a ML model in their product line that is very similar to Bach 180-37S - similar bell, bracing, leadpipe, etc. With Getzen, I think it is one of the 305x models.

Jay

It is the 3050. I noticed the Trent Austin had one for sale with a Calicchio #2 leadpipe. (Very interesting)

The 3051 has a 72 bell and the 3052 is a large bore 37 bell, reverse leadpipe geared more to the jazz/lead player. The 3001 Artist model is worth looking at. I recently played an Edwards (Getzen owned company) X-13 which was a marvelous instrument.
time_is_mula

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your replies. I had a new 900S Eterna Classic a few years back. I regret selling it now, but I’m on the hunt again for a new Getzen pro horn. I suppose I should follow up my question with this fact. My main Getzen horn is the Getzen Genesis. I love it to death, but it fails at being a great horn for occasional orchestra work. Hence why I am looking for something more in the middle that is a good all around horn. I’m a huge fan of Getzens. It’s the valve action that keeps me coming back to their horns, but the #137 or #172 bells seem to only mirror the industry standard of the Bach Strad. The new Eterna Deluxe horns, 900DLX and 907DLX, come from the Eterna Series. I.e., design elements, specs, and two piece bell... aside from the 900 Classic, a two piece bell appears to be just ‘okay’ (not price wise). I definitely notice a difference in sound (one vs two piece bell).

I would appreciate anymore feedback from you all on TH.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend toward larger bore trumpets and the 3052 is my favorite Getzen. It's also in my top 5 Bb trumpet favorites of any brand. To me its .462" bore and round tuning slide crook give it a very "together" feel. The sound is very versatile, too.

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the 907 Proteus.
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main reason Getzen recreated the Eterna 900 Classic was that the Eterna 900 was drifting away from it's original specs, on numerous request Getzen went back to the original design and viola, there was the 900 Classic

In my small collection are both a 1978 Getzen Eterna 900 ml bore and a 1991 Getzen Eterna 900 LB

The LB from 1991 is a totally different horn rather like the 900 ML from 1978, the latter is much more like the Severinsen models: Very free blowing with a nice brassy sound
The 1991 LB has a) much more resistance in the blow and b) a way different sound, actually this one made me sell my Bach 180-37 from 1978 since the Eterna 900 LB has approximately the same resistance in the blow like the Bach AND the same kind of sound. The big difference between the Bach and the Getzen was the valves (need I say more?) and the Getzen is an easier player...

So, if you can lay your hands on a 90's Eterna 900LB you should give her a try, otherwise the 907 Proteus would be my choice

ps: another prove that bore size says nothing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: