• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Getzen 900DLX and 907DLX - thoughts?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nixer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject: Getzen 900DLX and 907DLX - thoughts? Reply with quote

I was pleasantly surprised this morning to see mention on another thread about 2 new offerings from Getzen - the 900 and 907 DLX horns, commemorating the company's 80th birthday. I had checked the Getzen website a few weeks ago and hadn't seen anything about a new trumpet, but the site now features the new models, albeit misspelled as Externa, rather than Eterna.

My experience with Getzen goes back to a mid-70s Severinsen, currently playing a 3051, which is far more horn than I actually need.

Has anyone played these new models? All things being equal in terms of sound, I really prefer, for purely visual aesthetic reasons, the looks of a trumpet that utilizes a variety of materials. Those Conn 10 B and A horns from the mid 50s, for example, with their combos of copper, brass and nickel I find very pleasing to look at.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looked, I don’t see them. Are they on the main Getzen site?

Brad
Nixer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:

Brad

Yes
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nixer wrote:
Brad361 wrote:

Brad

Yes

Oops, just saw it. When I googled Getzen trumpets somehow I missed it.

Brad
Nixer
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone play these yet?
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be playing a 900DLX next month and will be happy to share my thoughts then.
blbaumgarn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:04 am    Post subject: Getzen 900DXL and 907DXL opinions Reply with quote

Wow. I love the look of both of the horns. Way, way back in the day played a Getzen Eterna cornet for a year in school, and later a Severinson Eterna during summer school. Loved 'em both. I would rate the Doc Severinsen right behind my Benge 5 from about '74 that I had for 25 years and sold (like a fool). Being old and incompetent now and 68 my dream horn is a Getzen Proteus. I have found the people at Getzen very cordial, even answering questions for me about used horns I looked at. Bet they play as well as they look.
trmptman01

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject: Getzen 900DLX and 907DLX Reply with quote

I saw these on Getzens site recently when I was thinking about buying a new horn. The people at Getzen did a great job of emailing me back pretty quickly. There isn't a local distributor for me but they said they would email a rep they have in this area with my info. I never heard back from him. So I went a different direction. It's unfortunate that the rep didn't get back to me because I had the money and the inclination to buy.

As far as the Proteus is concerned it is a very very nice horn. I had one and really enjoyed playing it. Sold it for something else. Kinda wished I had kept it.
Adam R. Getzen
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Getzen 900DLX and 907DLX Reply with quote

trmptman01 wrote:
I saw these on Getzens site recently when I was thinking about buying a new horn. The people at Getzen did a great job of emailing me back pretty quickly. There isn't a local distributor for me but they said they would email a rep they have in this area with my info. I never heard back from him. So I went a different direction. It's unfortunate that the rep didn't get back to me because I had the money and the inclination to buy.

As far as the Proteus is concerned it is a very very nice horn. I had one and really enjoyed playing it. Sold it for something else. Kinda wished I had kept it.

I will be bringing this up with our sales manager when he gets back. Losing a potential sale is one thing but ignoring a potential customer is worse.
kevinwoods
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just played the 900 today at the NAfME All-Northwest Conference. Bravo to Getzen!! Easily the best Bb there, and one heck of a trumpet! Very responsive, great intonation, and of course the fit, finish, and valves are awesome!
Carly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
I'll be playing a 900DLX next month and will be happy to share my thoughts then.

Care to share any thoughts now that it has been played? Thanks
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Care to share any thoughts now that it has been played? Thanks

The 900DLX, for me, is a fantastic "all around" horn. Much of the music I play is "pops" style: Broadway shows, movie soundtracks, etc. Performances are indoors or outdoors. The 900DLX gives me the full...brilliant...sound that I want, with excellent projection. There is also some flexibility to the slotting -- not loose, not tight; just right for me -- that offers me versatility without having to work hard to get/keep the notes in tune.

I hesitate to compare it to another horn, but as a reference, I'd say that the 900DLX is slightly brighter than my Bach 18037, slots are slightly looser, and the blow is perhaps a bit more open. I emphasize slightly, as these are not stark differences to me.

Also, compared to a regular Getzen 900 Eterna, the 900DLX, for me, has a fuller, richer sound, making it more versatile than the standard 900 (which is also a fine horn).

The build quality is excellent, and the Getzen valves are what I regard to be the best in the industry.

Obviously, what works best for my playing style and mouthpiece setup is not necessarily what will work best for someone else, but the 900 remains quite popular after many years for a good reason, and I think that the 900DLX is an improved "all around" version of that horn.

Good luck!
Don Low

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject: What a beautiful horn Reply with quote

When I saw the Getzen 907 Deluxe I just had to have it. I didn't know much about the old Super Deluxe line, but having grown up on a '77 Doc Severinsen (still pristine), I was really curious to see how it would compare. It's a joy to play. Of course, it's a bit heavier than Doc, but the sound is just beautiful and the valves are the best I've ever played. It's full and rich and the upper register is powerful. I'm glad it's in a ML bore. I don't think I could fill a large-bore on this horn and do it justice. The art deco touches were a great decision and make it truly unique.

I'll hold on to this one for a long time. I have a feeling it could become a collector edition. My understanding is that the 80th Anniversary production run was limited, but I don't know this for certain.
Getzen Eterna 896 Flugel
Schilke HC1
Schilke X3
Wild Thing
gregplo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those wanting a quick way to take a look:
https://www.getzen.com/trumpet/eterna-deluxe/

Beautiful horns! Any thoughts on which of the two would be more open blowing, or are they about the same, just with different bell materials? I owned a 1977 Severinsen, and I've played the Proteus, and while I loved the sound from both horns, they were both just a bit too restrictive for my tastes. Wondering if these new DLX horns would be similar.
P. Mauriat PMT-75 (Ti/Copper)
Conn 61B
Benge 90B
Conn 80B LB
CarolBrass Arturo Sandoval Pocket Trumpet
CarolBrass CFL-620R
Getzen CB 610

Remember...when He returns, the trumpet shall sound....
deleted_user_687c31b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta admit, they look awesome.
Don Low

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, "open blowing" is always in the eye of the beholder, but I often put all four of my horns side-by-side to do this test. Interestingly, they all feel pretty much the same to me. After I bought the DLX, I bought the 3052 because I thought a large bore and different lead pipe might provide a bit more openness, but alas, not the case. The 77 Doc is still a bit "darker" (to me) than the '19 DLX but only a bit. The Shires Doc makes a bigger sound overall and really projects in the higher register, but I don't really play high as much these days. At 60, I've stopped trying to impress people I also prefer a less open blow to aid in intonation and endurance.

I came across an interesting dissertation by Kenneth Piatt, now a Shires employee, that helped me better understand the differences between models. It's funny that he didn't include Shires in his review. I'd bet it wasn't even a glimmer in his eye at the time he was a student.

https://researchrepository.wvu.edu/etd/6416/

I liked his description of "Blow Resistance"

"As with sound quality, a trumpet ideally will be easy to play but have enough resistance for efficient upper register playing and articulations. Some players prefer a trumpet that has a freer or “open” blow, and some players prefer more resistance. An instrument with a more resistant feel can aid in endurance, but will not be able to produce adequate volume in all situations, and the sound quality can spread more easily. Accuracy will be improved, but the tighter slots can make intonation more work for the player. Alternatively, if a horn is too open, a player can get tired very quickly, and due to the large feeling of the instrument, accuracy, articulation, and range can suffer. The perfect trumpet will be a balanced blow resistance for each player in each performance situation."

PS. Thinking about buying a used Genesis to provide a little more diversity and interest to my playing. Let me know if anyone has one for sale. I don't drink or do drugs or gamble or mess-around. My Getzen trumpet addiction is pretty much my only vice.

PSS. Brett Getzen was really great in helping me secure the 3052 which I will be bequeathing to my son when he leaves for college next year to study jazz. THEIR SERVICE IS THE BEST, BAR NONE.
Getzen Eterna 896 Flugel
Schilke HC1
Schilke X3
Wild Thing
Ex-Trumpet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Low wrote:
Of course, "open blowing" is always in the eye of the beholder, but I often put all four of my horns side-by-side to do this test. Interestingly, they all feel pretty much the same to me. After I bought the DLX, I bought the 3052 because I thought a large bore and different lead pipe might provide a bit more openness, but alas, not the case. The 77 Doc is still a bit "darker" (to me) than the '19 DLX but only a bit. The Shires Doc makes a bigger sound overall and really projects in the higher register, but I don't really play high as much these days. At 60, I've stopped trying to impress people I also prefer a less open blow to aid in intonation and endurance.

I came across an interesting dissertation by Kenneth Piatt, now a Shires employee, that helped me better understand the differences between models. It's funny that he didn't include Shires in his review. I'd bet it wasn't even a glimmer in his eye at the time he was a student.

https://researchrepository.wvu.edu/etd/6416/

I liked his description of "Blow Resistance"

"As with sound quality, a trumpet ideally will be easy to play but have enough resistance for efficient upper register playing and articulations. Some players prefer a trumpet that has a freer or “open” blow, and some players prefer more resistance. An instrument with a more resistant feel can aid in endurance, but will not be able to produce adequate volume in all situations, and the sound quality can spread more easily. Accuracy will be improved, but the tighter slots can make intonation more work for the player. Alternatively, if a horn is too open, a player can get tired very quickly, and due to the large feeling of the instrument, accuracy, articulation, and range can suffer. The perfect trumpet will be a balanced blow resistance for each player in each performance situation."

PS. Thinking about buying a used Genesis to provide a little more diversity and interest to my playing. Let me know if anyone has one for sale. I don't drink or do drugs or gamble or mess-around. My Getzen trumpet addiction is pretty much my only vice.

PSS. Brett Getzen was really great in helping me secure the 3052 which I will be bequeathing to my son when he leaves for college next year to study jazz. THEIR SERVICE IS THE BEST, BAR NONE.

Great post! My experience with endurance/horn-blow...we all have a perceived idea how we sound--and we will migrate to that sound regardless of the equipment we play. That, in my opinion, is why a horn that may be perceived as efficient by some may feel stuffy or overly dark by a different player. That player may overcompensated to get the "stuffy/dark" horn to feel and sound like he/she hears (if they hear a brighter sound, for instance). If the tendency of that horn is different, it may be inefficient for them.

On the other hand, if a naturally efficient/open/bright horn is being played by a player that perceives a darker sound, that player may use bigger mouthpieces (or even smaller and tighter, depending on the player) to take the edge off the sound (the edge may not even be there, but they may hear it from behind the horn).

Some of the most efficient players in the world play large bore horns with extremely large mouthpieces. Other well known players use medium bore horns and small mouthpieces. Malcolm McNabb played for years on a medium bore horn with an old 1-1/2c mouthpiece.

It's all personal, as we all have different teeth structures, oral cavities, lung capacities, etc. Find what you like and do it as efficiently as possible. Some will sound best on a Getzen, others will sound best on a Monette.

And for the love of all things holy, hear a beautiful sound in your head first--what you hear is what you ultimately will sound like!
Don Low

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is really well said.

The sound behind the horn is so different than the sound in front. It's good to record and get feedback. Fortunately, I have a 17-year-old trumpet-playing son who is never short on opinion, so I get unfiltered live commentary

Your comments about mouthpieces are very interesting and I completely agree with hearing that sound in your head. Till Brönner is a wonderful example of a musician who can generate the sounds he hears. And of course Arturo, but he's kind of the answer to most things.
Getzen Eterna 896 Flugel
Schilke HC1
Schilke X3
Wild Thing
cjborg

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing a Selmer Claude Gordon for several years, but now looking for something that will blend a little better with more commonly-played trumpets - e.g. Bach Strad, Yamaha Xeno. I play mostly in small ensembles, brass quintets, and in church. I am wondering whether the Getzen 900 DLX would be a good choice given my intended use and that my other horns are mostly Getzens. [I know I should try and compare several, but that requires a lot of travel]. If anyone has relevant experience playing the Getzen 900 DLX, I'd very much appreciate your opinion and if you know, whether it plays relatively similarly to my other Getzen horns.

1970s Getzen Eterna C-trumpet, Large Bore
1960s Getzen Eterna Cornet, Large Bore
Getzen 4895 Custom Reserve Flugelhorn
Yamaha "Custom" piccolo
Goby
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned a 900 DLX for a short amount of time. It's an absolutely gorgeous instrument with the different materials and small details that Getzen incorporated into it. I was quite surprised at how bright sounding it was. I know Getzen is known for the Severinsen horns, which are designed too be bright and cutting, but I was expecting something closer to the Edwards or the Custom Series (more Bach-like in tone). It's a great instrument if you play in a big band or do pop/commercial music, but I ended up selling mine because it didn't really fit with how I want to sound.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: