• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yamaha Z horn - C trpt companion?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
breden

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:47 am    Post subject: Yamaha Z horn - C trpt companion? Reply with quote

Hello - just purchased a 8310 Z horn 2 weeks ago and have been absolutely loving it! I understand that it is marketed as a jazz horn however I have found it to be really flexible in terms of sound. For me - it's quite possible to play most styles with ease and great sound! I find myself migrating from Bach horns. Now looking to replace the Bach 25A (229) with a Yamaha that is along the same lines in blow. I realize that C is a different animal (with respect to bore size) but am wishing to go in the same direction with overall feel of the horn. Looking for some feedback with current Shew horn players - what C trumpet (Yamaha preferably or others) have you found to be "in line" with your B flat? Trying to narrow down the search when it gets to ITG time.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Z horn - C trpt companion? Reply with quote

breden wrote:
Hello - just purchased a 8310 Z horn 2 weeks ago and have been absolutely loving it! I understand that it is marketed as a jazz horn however I have found it to be really flexible in terms of sound. For me - it's quite possible to play most styles with ease and great sound! I find myself migrating from Bach horns. Now looking to replace the Bach 25A (229) with a Yamaha that is along the same lines in blow. I realize that C is a different animal (with respect to bore size) but am wishing to go in the same direction with overall feel of the horn. Looking for some feedback with current Shew horn players - what C trumpet (Yamaha preferably or others) have you found to be "in line" with your B flat? Trying to narrow down the search when it gets to ITG time.

If you're looking for a C trumpet that's similar in design philosophy to the Shew, you might be well-served checking out the Schilke C trumpets (regular/tradidional line). Like the Shew, they are relatively lightweight, with minimal bracing. They are likely to have the flexibility of tone that you're looking for.

Good luck.
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject: Shew C companion Reply with quote

Hello all,
If the Shew horn is comparable to specs as a Schilke B7, then you would be looking for a C7. Your 229/25A is a great configuration. I played mine for years with great success with blending with other players. I have a C4 that I originally bought in the 70's. and even though it has all the qualities of a Schilke, it has a smaller sound compared to the large bore horns. For chamber groups or solos in church, it would be great with an appropriate mouthpiece. I think you have to look at who and what you are using C trumpet with. I have had a Yamaha 6445, C1L, S22C, the Bach 229L/25A and now play on a C3HD. I have played M and L Bb's, but have been most comfortable on ML Bb's. Currently ans S33HD.
ScottA
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Schilke even make the C7 any more? I only see the C1, C3, C5 and CX on their web site under the "C Series" instruments.
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ScottA wrote:
Does Schilke even make the C7 any more? I only see the C1, C3, C5 and CX on their web site under the "C Series" instruments.

I'm sure they still have the mandrels and tooling and will make just about anything you want to pay for.
Pete
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My C trumpet is a .462 bore. I don't have any problems playing it compared to my 8310Z, 1600i or Conn 38B.

Pete
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Yamaha Z horn - C trpt companion? Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
breden wrote:

Schilke C7 or C6, Med .450 step bore. Bobby's original Yamaha was one of the horns designed by Ren Schilke in the 1970's (I was there).
If you're looking for a C trumpet that's similar in design philosophy to the Shew, you might be well-served checking out the Schilke C trumpets (regular/tradidional line). Like the Shew, they are relatively lightweight, with minimal bracing. They are likely to have the flexibility of tone that you're looking for.

Good luck.
MRtpt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also consider the older Yamaha ytr-741/ytr-641. These are the older Schilke clones - medium bore in C.
Schilke G1
Selmer Eb
Courtois Flugel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: