• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Questions about Curry Mouthpieces

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iiipopes wrote:
O00Joe wrote:
I don't know how the Curry 7 rim is but it sounds like a Curry 5C or 7C is what you're looking for. (Yamaha 14 is around a Bach/Curry 5, Bach 7 and Curry 7 should have matching diameter as well.)

Not so sure about the Bach due to their notoriety of lack of consistency.

Compare the published sizes, measurements, and some web sites have overlays for rim comparison.
I find Yamaha 14's are more like current Bach 3's
Curry 3's feel a tic larger that a current Bach 3 (based off of a Mr Vernon 3 - different rim size & shape)

And can we drop the Bach notorious inconsistency? Since the strike (more than 10 years ago), instrument consistency has improved dramatically and mouthpieces are made on CNC machines = couldn't be more consistent.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:
iiipopes wrote:
O00Joe wrote:
I don't know how the Curry 7 rim is but it sounds like a Curry 5C or 7C is what you're looking for. (Yamaha 14 is around a Bach/Curry 5, Bach 7 and Curry 7 should have matching diameter as well.)

Not so sure about the Bach due to their notoriety of lack of consistency.

Compare the published sizes, measurements, and some web sites have overlays for rim comparison.
I find Yamaha 14's are more like current Bach 3's
Curry 3's feel a tic larger that a current Bach 3 (based off of a Mr Vernon 3 - different rim size & shape)

And can we drop the Bach notorious inconsistency? Since the strike (more than 10 years ago), instrument consistency has improved dramatically and mouthpieces are made on CNC machines = couldn't be more consistent.

CNC will be only as consistent as the ability to compensate for gradual wearing out of the tool cutting edge.
iiipopes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zaferis wrote:

No, we can't. Too many people play older instruments and mouthpieces who suffer from the inconsistencies of years past, which have not all been remedied in the present. So one person's 3C will never be the same as another person's 3C, especially with Bach themselves changing the "standard." That is why Vincent Bach himself always kept a reference mouthpiece of each model in order to compare to assure quality control. Unfortunately, the modern version of the company does not seem to have done this, because especially for a mouthpiece, there is so much variance after it gets off the CNC cutter in the buffing, plating, and finishing that there is still not the consistency they need to have.
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a Bach 3C for many years, but was never satisfied with the sound I got on it. I switched to a Curry 3C. a few years ago and never looked back. It felt familiar to the embouchure, but is better than the Bach piece in every way. I have since bought a Curry 3BBC. for cornet playing and a 3M., but the 3C. works so well for me I rarely use the 3M.
ButchA
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curry's are just a hair different than a normal Bach 3C. I'm talking like micro millimeters...

Here is my assessment/comparison of my two main MP's:

Bach 3C - Normal MP, everyone owns one. Great sound, great feel.
Curry 3M. (with the dot) - Excellent MP and feels just a micro millimeter larger than a 3C. But yet what is interesting is the cup design seems, again, just a micro millimeter shallower. I don't understand it, or understand the design concept, but it is what it is. I guess the Curry 3M. could be viewed as maybe a Bach 3C½ or something. Not quite a 3C and not quite a 3D or even a 3E. The best part is the 3M. doesn't brighten your sound or make high notes piercing, like they could peel paint off the walls! But yet for some reason or another, the upper range is a tad easier on the 3M. than on the 3C.
3thanP

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ButchA wrote:
Curry's are just a hair different than a normal Bach 3C. I'm talking like micro millimeters...

Here is my assessment/comparison of my two main MP's:

Bach 3C - Normal MP, everyone owns one. Great sound, great feel.
Curry 3M. (with the dot) - Excellent MP and feels just a micro millimeter larger than a 3C. But yet what is interesting is the cup design seems, again, just a micro millimeter shallower. I don't understand it, or understand the design concept, but it is what it is. I guess the Curry 3M. could be viewed as maybe a Bach 3C½ or something. Not quite a 3C and not quite a 3D or even a 3E. The best part is the 3M. doesn't brighten your sound or make high notes piercing, like they could peel paint off the walls! But yet for some reason or another, the upper range is a tad easier on the 3M. than on the 3C.

I ended up purchasing a Curry mouthpiece with an M cup, can't wait to see how it feels
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butch, the Curry 3M. is not meant to be a copy of the Bach 3C - it is a copy of a Mt. Vernon Bach 3C rim with a more shallow cup. The Curry 3C. is a copy of a MtV Bach 3C, and at least for me, is a much better mouthpiece than a modern Bach 3C.
ButchA
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Dale! I appreciate the clarification. You're the man!
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3thanP wrote:
John Mohan wrote:
I'm curious if we're ever going to see a sixth post from the OP.

Coincidentally I'm at my schools orchestra concert right now

Then why were you on your phone???

But at least you don't appear to be one of those jerks who just post five insincere posts so as to be able to list items in the marketplace!

If you like more rounded rims, try a Curry 5C

Best wishes,

John Mohan
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
3thanP

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
3thanP wrote:
John Mohan wrote:
I'm curious if we're ever going to see a sixth post from the OP.

Coincidentally I'm at my schools orchestra concert right now

Then why were you on your phone???

But at least you don't appear to be one of those jerks who just post five insincere posts so as to be able to list items in the marketplace!

If you like more rounded rims, try a Curry 5C

Best wishes,

John Mohan

First the orchestra plays, then the show choir production goes on and we have approximately an hour and a half of time to do nothing while we wait to play the Hallelujah Chorus at the end of the show. I know someone would say something like that.
3thanP

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my Curry mouthpiece in the mail today! The rim and cup is exactly what I was looking for. The rim being not too flat and not too harshly round. I couldn't be happier with my purchase.
ButchA
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great! Which Curry MP did you get? I remember something about you getting an "M." cup. You will really enjoy it! Mark Curry makes amazing mouthpieces!
3thanP

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ButchA wrote:
That's great! Which Curry MP did you get? I remember something about you getting an "M." cup. You will really enjoy it! Mark Curry makes amazing mouthpieces!

I ended up getting a 60m, the rim is seriously perfect
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3thanP wrote:
TKSop wrote:
Is there anything wrong with your 7c that you're looking to rectify or are you just curious to try something different?

I'm just looking to branch out into something different to hone my skills on rather than my standard 7c

Your skills have nothing to do with your mouthpiece. The mouthpiece is just a tool.

BTW there isn't much standard about a Bach 7C. A New YOrk 7C is different from a Mt. Vernon 7C which is different from Elkhart 7Cs which are different from each other. They might be more consistent now that they are using CNC lathes to turn them out. But my experience is that they vary considerably. I used to have repair/pro shop in Tampa. I had about 2 dozen 3Cs in stock. There was a lead trumpet (solid, never missed and powerful) player from Orlando who played all the broadway shows at the performing arts hall and he would stop in and go through all the 3Cs and maybe find one that suited him. This was about 25 years ago.

Curry mouthpieces are very consistent. I've been playing his pieces for a long time. He makes custom pieces for me with a Purviance copy rim and the rims are always dead on identical. You can't go wrong. I understand you got a 3M. If you lose it or it gets damaged the replacement will be identical. Good luck doing that with a Bach mouthpiece. Enjoy.
3thanP

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Kennedy wrote:
3thanP wrote:
TKSop wrote:
Is there anything wrong with your 7c that you're looking to rectify or are you just curious to try something different?

I'm just looking to branch out into something different to hone my skills on rather than my standard 7c

Your skills have nothing to do with your mouthpiece. The mouthpiece is just a tool.

BTW there isn't much standard about a Bach 7C. A New YOrk 7C is different from a Mt. Vernon 7C which is different from Elkhart 7Cs which are different from each other. They might be more consistent now that they are using CNC lathes to turn them out. But my experience is that they vary considerably. I used to have repair/pro shop in Tampa. I had about 2 dozen 3Cs in stock. There was a lead trumpet (solid, never missed and powerful) player from Orlando who played all the broadway shows at the performing arts hall and he would stop in and go through all the 3Cs and maybe find one that suited him. This was about 25 years ago.

Curry mouthpieces are very consistent. I've been playing his pieces for a long time. He makes custom pieces for me with a Purviance copy rim and the rims are always dead on identical. You can't go wrong. I understand you got a 3M. If you lose it or it gets damaged the replacement will be identical. Good luck doing that with a Bach mouthpiece. Enjoy.

You are completely orrect about it being a tool. I'm glad I have the privilege to have access to such good mouthpieces. I will definitely stick with Curry for my entire trumpet playing ventures.
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played curry 70,60,50,40,30 and now 00 id's. I can say this from my experience. Curry mouthpieces from one to the next in the 600 Precision line are as consistent as it gets. i currently use 00BC,00TC,00C,00M,00M-30 drill,00M-28 drill, 00M-29 drill. they feel the same on my lips. Most of my playing is on the 00M standard drill, which i believe is 27, I have very little lip intrusion though into the cup. But the 00 id helps with that. I also have been messing around with a warburton 10ES i got from Lex Samu before he passed, Miss you lex, same id but that one feels quite a bit different. I am toying with going smaller still. maybe something in the .560 - .580 size. but that will have to be a special order from curry if i'm correct.

Love curry precision line !!

regards,

tom
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear the OP settled on the 60M, that was what I was going to suggest looking at. Those rims are very comfortable.

That said, it's a mouthpiece that is designed to favor commercial work, so you may need to pay extra attention to how it affects your sound, and adjust accordingly. Same with attacks...

The nice thing about Curry mouthpieces is that, once you get a rim configuration you can stick with, you can move between cup types for different applications and there's no chop fatigue from switching rims.
3thanP

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazz_trpt wrote:
Glad to hear the OP settled on the 60M, that was what I was going to suggest looking at. Those rims are very comfortable.

That said, it's a mouthpiece that is designed to favor commercial work, so you may need to pay extra attention to how it affects your sound, and adjust accordingly. Same with attacks...

The nice thing about Curry mouthpieces is that, once you get a rim configuration you can stick with, you can move between cup types for different applications and there's no chop fatigue from switching rims.

Yeah true! I'm going to practice as much as I can with the mouthpiece to sort of get acclimated with it and get more adjusted with any slight emhochure change that it'lll bring. I'm glad that you were going to suggest me look at the 60M as well, I was sort of skeptical buying a mouthpiece that I wasn't able to try but I'm definitely happy with my decision after using it for just a short while.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: