• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

My Face Hurts!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject: My Face Hurts!! Reply with quote

Haha...Holy cow! Went out of town for the weekend and didn't play for 2 days and when I started playing today I really felt like I'd lost a step. Wound up playing for @ 4 1/2 hours trying to get things back to where I'd left off and now it feels like the novocaine is wearing off after a root canal!! The Lips feel fine, it's just the embouchure muscles got hammered!!

Speaking of hammered, I just tried to 'buzz' my bottle of 'Hop Stupid' ale... WAY too much resistance though! This trumpet thing is a SICKNESS!!! Now I'll be heading off to bed and playing 'Knuckle' trumpet until I fall asleep!!
epoustoufle
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for the knuckle trumpet

Great excercise - helps with articulation, concentration and forearm strength
50YrComeback

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: knuckle trumpet Reply with quote

OK, so is "knuckle trumpet" just a term for fingering w/o trumpet to a tune in your head? Or is it something else?

Also, if your face hurts and your lips are in good shape after a marathon; suggests that you are at least avoiding excess MPC to lip pressure; otherwise, don't thing you could last that long.

Good luck and keep tooting

50 year layoff
Giardenelli 812S (a/k/a Amati ATR-604HS)
CarolBrass CPT-1000 Mini Trumpet
50YrComeback

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: knuckle trumpet Reply with quote

OK, so is "knuckle trumpet" just a term for fingering w/o trumpet to a tune in your head? Or is it something else?

Also, if your face hurts and your lips are in good shape after a marathon; suggests that you are at least avoiding excess MPC to lip pressure; otherwise, don't thing you could last that long.

Good luck and keep tooting

50 year layoff
Giardenelli 812S (a/k/a Amati ATR-604HS)
CarolBrass CPT-1000 Mini Trumpet
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: knuckle trumpet Reply with quote

50YrComeback wrote:
OK, so is "knuckle trumpet" just a term for fingering w/o trumpet to a tune in your head?

Haha yes... I don't have one of those fancy 4 valve piccolos so I just use 'Valves' 1,2 and 3!
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: knuckle trumpet Reply with quote

50YrComeback wrote:

Yes I was thinking that as well!
Christian K. Peters
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject: My face hurts Reply with quote

Hello all,
In all seriousness, the OP caught my attention. So my December was crazy. I had it mapped out where I did not overbook myself. Three weekends starting Dec. 8th I had gigs. Sometimes the Friday before and rehearsals leading up to those days...Including Christmas Eve. So as I finished with the Christmas Eve service, my jaw hurt, my right front tooth did not feel right, my bottom lip felt bruised and my teeth on the sides felt that they had moved. I took a couple of days off and started in slowly. Here it is the third week in January, I am now feeling sort of normal. Mark Zauss had a great clip on the Schilke Loyalist FB page about the physiological recovery of, what I would call, over-use of the embouchure. Personally, I am not known as a pressure player, but one who has striven to play efficiently. My dentist did not find anything wrong with my teeth or gums. We just need to let our equipment work for us.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comeback Players All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: