• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

YCR-2310 III vs older series

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:05 pm    Post subject: YCR-2310 III vs older series Reply with quote

As of now, Yamaha makes only one American-style (long) cornet - the YCR2310 III. Has anyone compared it to its predecessors (YCR-2310 series II, YCR-2310, YCR-231)?

I recall Dale Proctor saying that YCR-231 or 2310 has "the sound", compared to shepherd-crook style YCR-2330. Does this still hold true for YCR-2310 III ?
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I owned one of the first generations 2310 cornets and it was a great horn. Compared with the 2330 it gave more of a true cornet sound provided that you use an appropriate mouthpiece. This horn had a 0.473 bore and a big 5 1/8 bell. In fact it felt like a big horn but still very easy playable and with great intonation. The valves and slides worked well but not with the sophistication of the more upmarket models.
Later Yamaha made the second generation with a 0.462 bore and changed the whole (Schilke) concept with the third generation, they reduced the bore to 0.459 and the size of the bell to 4 3/4. I never played that one.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you - good information about 2310! Do you know why would Yamaha stray away from a great Schilke design?

Quite some time ago Yamaha used to make several pro-level long cornets which they have since discontinued. They all had a bell further away from the valves (compared to a short cornet model), a tighter wrap similar to trumpet, and a shepherd crook - that last detail would be missing in YCR-2310.

As per AlfaFreak's website, these pro long cornets by Yamaha were the YCR-6320 and YCR-731.

Last edited by etc-etc on Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:57 am; edited 1 time in total
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, a few years ago I stated on this forum that I had great doubts about the 2310 as a student instrument. In fact the enormous bell seemed for me a little bit too much to fill for a beginner. But I got very unfriendly comment on this so I rested my case. But still it's possible that Yamaha reduced the bore and the bell size of the 2310III for that kind of reasons, to make the horn more middle of the road.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you - I will try to locate your comment!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: