• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Help finding the correct notes for Jazz Solo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ProgramCrazy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject: Help finding the correct notes for Jazz Solo Reply with quote

Hi, so for my Highschool jazz band I have a written solo for a song, but I would rather improvise it. The problem is I don't know what notes to use for the chord progressions. If Somebody could tell me what notes I can use for the different measures it would help so much.

Thank you!
Images are linked below

https://prnt.sc/m9j0hx
https://prnt.sc/m9j0lz

m.45 - m.48 Gmi7
m.49 - m.50 Cmi6
m.51 D7sus4
m.52 D7
m.53 - m.56 Gmi7
m.57 - m.58 Cmi6
m.59 D7sus4
m.60 D7
m.61 G7
m.62 Abmaj7
m.63 G7
m.64 Cmi7
m.65 G7
m.66 Abmaj7
m.67 G7
m.68 Cmi7
m.69 Cmi7?
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does the key signature say for this passage?

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forget about that. Do you know the song? Can you play the melody? Keep that in your head and noodle around the tune. Play something you'd like to hear.

Practice scales and arpeggios for your development, but for a specific performance, without a strong background in technique and theory, stick with the tune and make it "purdy." Your grandmother will appreciate it. (and so will I).
Arranger-Transcriber
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:05 pm    Post subject: Improvised Solo Reply with quote

It's all rather complicated. The simplest advice I can offer is to play around with the notes in the transcribed solo that are given so as to create new phrases and melodies.
ProgramCrazy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:

There's an Eb and Bb
robbo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Chuck M tune that is really fun to improvise over, but I'd have to say that based on your question you probably shouldn't look to improvise on this just yet as it seems that you've not had much improv experience? Having said that, it's a tough written out solo!! Hopefully you've a teacher that might be able to write out something for you.
This is one of those situations where soloing around the melody isn't going to help much, as the A section (Gmin) has a very understated melody, and the B section( G7) is that crazy that how do you solo around that???

The A section is actually not a bad progression to learn a few licks to, as the essence of it is Gmin D7 Gm (obviously with the ivm chord in there too, but beginners should start with I V7 I).

Probably the only thing I can offer in such a restricted setting is an idea over the D7 (the V7 chord). Play G harmonic min - the tonic chord (I'm not a massive one on learning lots of scales but the harmonic min I reckon is pretty important).
Now play the exact same notes, but starting on D. It won't start sounding like a lick just yet, but get used to the notes. Start playing around with those notes a bit, in particular starting on A or C and going down the scale works well. You'll start to hear how it wants to resolve to to the Gmin (tonic).

It's worth working on, and in a couple of popular keys, as you'll get plenty of chances to use it.

This may be totally useless information in that small text! (One on one it actually works well Being involved with a few schools I realise that time may be a serious factor too, and that's something that I've a bit of a frustration with. I don't like that lots of students such as yourself have to be under that sort of soloing pressure, but it happens a lot.

Good luck anyway, and feel to message me if you'd like to discuss anything further.

Rob

Last edited by robbo on Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:35 am; edited 1 time in total
robbo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProgramCrazy wrote:
kehaulani wrote:

There's an Eb and Bb

Bb & Eb (Correct order of key sig!).

The tune is in (our) Gmin for this arrangement. It has a small venture to the major side half way through the progression, but the G7 - Ab is a cadence borrowed from the Phrygian mode, so it still has a hint on the minor side. (Sorry, you can ignore most of that as only the harmony geeks will be interested So in short it's in G min.

Rob
NikolaTomic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi -

It seems that you are looking for a straightforward answer to your question. Unfortunately, there isn't one, or at least there isn't a good one. Literally any pitch can be used in any measure, provided the context (where it is coming from, where it is going to, its metrical position, etc.) and intent (how you play it in terms of phrasing, dynamics, inflection, etc.) justify it. My practical advice to you is to find a recording of the piece, if possible, that includes improvisation that you enjoy hearing, and try to copy it by ear. That will help you generate some material to play as you begin working on improvising. Know right from the start that this is a lifelong endeavor, that there are no shortcuts, and that you have to play a lot of stuff you don't like to eventually get to things that you do. Give yourself the freedom to sound "bad" and don't judge yourself harshly when your progress isn't as fast as you would like. The closest parallel I can think of at the moment is deciding you would like to write poetry in a foreign language you've heard a few times but haven't studied at all. Recognize that there are a lot of steps between where you are now and publishing an enduring classic. And just as we study the rules of grammar in a foreign language course, it would behoove you to investigate harmony and counterpoint as you embark on this journey.

Best wishes,
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get back to basics as some people have mentioned. What I've told players in my band is play the beginning note of every phrase and any sustained note. Then work on notes in between staying within the key signature. You'll probably sound fine.

Listening to the following, I was bored quickly. Chord based improv does that to me. Doodling around on the chords can really lack forward movement. But hey, that's just me. Here Chuck Mangione doing the tune.

Link

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
BeboppinFool
Donald Reinhardt Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Help finding the correct notes for Jazz Solo Reply with quote

ProgramCrazy wrote:
Hi, so for my Highschool jazz band I have a written solo for a song, but I would rather improvise it. The problem is I don't know what notes to use for the chord progressions. If Somebody could tell me what notes I can use for the different measures it would help so much.

Thank you!
Images are linked below

https://prnt.sc/m9j0hx
https://prnt.sc/m9j0lz

m.45 - m.48 Gmi7
m.49 - m.50 Cmi6
m.51 D7sus4
m.52 D7
m.53 - m.56 Gmi7
m.57 - m.58 Cmi6
m.59 D7sus4
m.60 D7
m.61 G7
m.62 Abmaj7
m.63 G7
m.64 Cmi7
m.65 G7
m.66 Abmaj7
m.67 G7
m.68 Cmi7
m.69 Cmi7?

Basically speaking, the tune is in your G minor (two flats). Remember that key signature (and it's scale, the B♭ major scale) throughout.

The only time you need to use any notes outside of that scale is on three of the chords:

1) on the D7 chords you can use an F# instead of F♮;
2) on the G7 chords you can use B♮ instead of B♭; and
3) on those A♭ chords you ought to use an A♭ instead of an A♮.

Rather than playing scale-driven lines, try making melodies that use the appropriate chord tones.

Writing out your own solos is a great way to learn the fundamentals of improvisation. I would encourage you to write several solos and try different melodic approaches.

You're already way ahead of many who want to learn because you took the time to ask questions. Keep up the good work!
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ProgramCrazy wrote:
kehaulani wrote:

There's an Eb and Bb

I don't mean to be condescending, but you don't even know your keys? Big problem. I'll offer this piece of advice anyway, because I don't see it above and it helps you avoid rambling, and playing with no goal.

Find the Tonic chords, that's your "home". Make your note choices lead, and resolve, to this.

After you've found the "Home/Tonic" chords, identify the chords leading up to the Tonic or the chord that preceeds "Home". Sometimes it leads up to the chord that just lie before the Tonic.

In Cminor, this would mean a C minpr-type chord as tonic I). G7 chord would be the chord that preceeds the I/Cmin. That is G7 to Cmin. These chords provide the cadences leading or resolving home. (V-I)

Why is this important? Because they all lead home and if your improvisation mirrors this, it gives your improvisation structure, goals and helps keep it from rambling.

The Abs are probably colour chords, not functional chords, and just play the notes in that chord (Ab Major Scale). Don't worry about its harmonic function, just the colour. The G is a common note between that chord and the other diatonic chords, giving them a tying effect.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:12 am; edited 4 times in total
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no adequate substitute for the instinctive ability to play intended pitches and intended relative pitches by ear. If you can do that proficiently you don't need to know anything about music theory, chords, etc. to be proficient at improvisation.

Improvisation is a language, the same in principle as spoken language. You learned to speak your native language quite well before you spent even a nanosecond studying books on grammar, sentence structure, etc. You improvise virtually every word you say. Learning to improvise proficiently on trumpet involves the same process you used to learn to speak your native language.

Don't believe me? Well, maybe you'll believe Marvin Stamm who says exactly the same thing. Here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY6CEeVT35M

By the way, in jazz improvisation there are no wrong notes, there are only wrong resolutions. I didn't originate that one either. It's a quote by Bill Evans. And here's what Miles Davis said about the subject of wrong notes: "There are no wrong notes in jazz; only notes in the wrong places" and "It's not the note you play that's the wrong note - it's the note you play afterwards that makes it right or wrong."
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
There is no adequate substitute for the instinctive ability to play intended pitches and intended relative pitches by ear. If you can do that proficiently you don't need to know anything about music theory, chords, etc. to be proficient at improvisation.

Improvisation is a language, the same in principle as spoken language. You learned to speak your native language quite well before you spent even a nanosecond studying books on grammar, sentence structure, etc. You improvise virtually every word you say. Learning to improvise proficiently on trumpet involves the same process you used to learn to speak your native language.

Don't believe me? Well, maybe you'll believe Marvin Stamm who says exactly the same thing. Here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY6CEeVT35M

By the way, in jazz improvisation there are no wrong notes, there are only wrong resolutions. I didn't originate that one either. It's a quote by Bill Evans. And here's what Miles Davis said about the subject of wrong notes: "There are no wrong notes in jazz; only notes in the wrong places" and "It's not the note you play that's the wrong note - it's the note you play afterwards that makes it right or wrong."

One of the best answers I've ever read. Where's the like button?

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play along with the recording, over and over, until you come up with something that sounds like a good solo. Then do it some more.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Help finding the correct notes for Jazz Solo Reply with quote

ProgramCrazy wrote:
Hi, so for my Highschool jazz band I have a written solo for a song, but I would rather improvise it. ...

---------------------------------
A big concern is what the other sections/players are doing during your 'written' solo.
If everyone else is just 'hanging out' as often done in small jazz groups, then changing your solo might not be a problem, But if the other players have written parts that are supposed to blend/sync with your written solo - changing your part could lead to a big mess.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Help finding the correct notes for Jazz Solo Reply with quote

JayKosta wrote:
ProgramCrazy wrote:
Hi, so for my Highschool jazz band I have a written solo for a song, but I would rather improvise it. ...

---------------------------------
A big concern is what the other sections/players are doing during your 'written' solo.
If everyone else is just 'hanging out' as often done in small jazz groups, then changing your solo might not be a problem, But if the other players have written parts that are supposed to blend/sync with your written solo - changing your part could lead to a big mess.

Jay

And, not meant to discourage a young player from learning to improvise, but what are the chances that he will come up with something better than the written part? It depends on the circumstances here, if the OP is planning on playing this in a concert, maybe getting a handle on how to improvise should be done separately from this particular instance.

To the OP: there have been lots of good suggestions here, you just need to decide if you can get comfortable with improving before your band plays this publicly, if in fact you’re preparing to do that. Learning improvisation is definitely a good idea, only you and your band director will know when you’re ready to use it in a concert.

Brad
NikolaTomic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the chances a band director who programs this piece in a world filled with better options will be able to A) tell the difference and B) be of any use in teaching this student to improvise?
Brent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject: improvise Reply with quote

I agree with what Brad said. For someone just starting, I don't think there's anything wrong with playing a solo that's 'worked out,' so to speak.

For actually learning how to improvise, this book was helpful for me:

http://www.jazzbooks.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=JAJAZZ&Product_Code=EOJ&Category_Code=

Brent S
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NikolaTomic wrote:
What are the chances a band director who programs this piece in a world filled with better options will be able to A) tell the difference and B) be of any use in teaching this student to improvise?

Yikes, don’t hold back.

I strongly suspect that the director will certainly know the difference between what’s written and what a young, inexperienced student will come up with.

And, how exactly do you know that this kid’s director WON’T be helpful?? Seriously man, you don’t know that any more than I do, seems like a blanket indictment of band directors is really inappropriate, and probably inaccurate.

Just like trumpet players and any other profession or hobby, there are great band directors and terrible ones, and many who are between those two extremes.

Brad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: