• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Practice Routines.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I am in temporary (joyous, happy and entirely empowering) retirement mode, I have found the time to actually do some practice which has focus and purpose, rather than be squeezed in between teaching, conducting, flying a desk, laptop, etc. This has allowed me, in only a couple of weeks, to hone the routine from a what I have to do to get by to what I want to get going. Looks much the same, but is far more rewarding. I have based it on skills.

1. Breathing.
2. Air flow.
3. Lip response.
4. The start of sound
5. Long tones that move about.
6. My range on the horn.
7.Technique.
8. Reading and musicality.
9. Repertoire on the festering pile.
10. Response, fingers, air flow. How are they now?

The challenge is what to use and how to use it. The list (this week) becomes:

1. While walking the dog. Continue during the day. My cardiologist thinks this wise!
2. Walking the dog still. The continuation is OK, just need to have the right orientation and direction.
3. I'm STILL walking the dog, and free buzzing with the passing traffic. (It's often a 45 minutes walk) I then take this to pitching and half scales back in the 'office'. Then to the mouthpiece and flow / Bo Nilsson / etc things.
4. On the mouthpiece and horn. Pooh attacks, using a Neilson exercise.
5. Neilson exercise does so man things. Here I add lip flexibility / Schlossberg / Maggio.
6. Maggio / Lip flexibility.
7. Currently Pettit daily exercises, it can change.
8. Alphonse modern studies at the moment, working my way through book 1. (I've never played them before)
9. That would be, today. Messiah endurance (who wants to look like they are even thinking of working to play?) natural trumpet (gig this week), G piccolo for another pair of concerts next week, the exam music my students are playing (wold they please STOP wanting to do high level exams? Really? Arutunian, Neruda, Boheme, Charlier, this thing called Sennet...)
10. Clarke (at the moment. There are some other things from the French edition of Arban which are fun and similar)

And that, gentle reader is my day if nothing intrudes, like freelance playing, interviews for teaching gigs for next school year (3 this week), groceries, cooking, and the chores! And I have time to relax a little. If I win the lottery, this would be the life!

cheers

Andy

Last edited by Andy Del on Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total
trombino
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What’s a Neilson exercise?
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am in need of a good routine to practice these. If anyone could take some time to give me a decent routine to practice these with.
I have: Arbans, Clarke, Schlossberg, Rubank advanced, Getchel 1st, 27 melodious and rythmical excersizes, and Caruso

One simple routine using a book you already have is to practice one or two drills from each of the eight parts of Schlossberg.

In addition, there are many books focused on daily routines. Some come from noted pedagogues:

- Charley Davis' A Tribute to William Adam: His Teachings and His Routine

- Claude Gordon's Systematic Approach to Daily Practice (though the Physical Approach to Elementary Brass Playing might be better suited to a 10th grader)

- Donald Reinhardt's Trumpet Mechanisms or The Reinhardt Routines (compiled by Rich Willey)

A few more worth considering include:
- Rick Bogard's Daily Warm Ups and Skills Studies
- John Daniel's Special Studies
- Stephen Dunn's Daily Routines
- Wolfgang Guggenberger's Basics Plus
- Harold "Pappy" Mitchell's Mitchell on Trumpet (each lesson is a comprehensive routine -- you might start with book 2)

Good luck!
spencerkotulski

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a few of my books my private lesson teacher assigns excercises. For the others I’m in need of a routine to practice these books when I’m not practicing the assigned books. Could someone help me and make a practice routine to slowly get through the books I list below? It would be greatly appreciated.

Schlossberg, Caruso, Clarke, Arban.
spencerkotulski

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m looking for a routine of those books together to clarify
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask your teacher... He (or she) may want you to focus on particular exercises for particular reasons. Ask him (her, it) about adding additional material and what would be best for you.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trombino wrote:
What’s a Neilson exercise?

Bo Nilsson was a Swedish player and renowned teacher. I had quite a few of his exercises passed along to me when I was in college. Simple, effective and you can alter them easily without losing the original intent. TO say more, you just need to see it in print, which I don't even have!

cheers

Andy

Last edited by Andy Del on Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total
JVL
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bo Nilsson, not Neilson.
I didn't know that he passed...
I had seen him during the Trompetentag in Bremen 93, with Anthony Aarons, you know Andy..
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spencerkotulski wrote:
For a few of my books my private lesson teacher assigns excercises. For the others I’m in need of a routine to practice these books when I’m not practicing the assigned books. Could someone help me and make a practice routine to slowly get through the books I list below? It would be greatly appreciated.

Schlossberg, Caruso, Clarke, Arban.

I can see a pattern emerging here, young Spencer.

The first bit is you are keen as anything and want to improve and be the best player you can. this is excellent. Keep it up and work.

The second is that you have a teacher, which is also excellent and, unless they steer you wrong, this is the best investment you can make into your playing. Again, well done, man!

The third is that you are looking outside of your teacher's teaching. Here the praise stops, as while it is good to wonder and wish, you also don't know what you don't know. Your teacher has a far better idea of what you don't know and what you need to work on so you can move to more advanced exercises, even a routine using the books you mention, etc.

There will hopefully be a reason you are NOT assigned all this work at the moment. One possible reason is that you are not at a suitable level. Progress is incremental, and you need a solid foundation to rest more advanced techniques on.

There is a reason a top level professional will use Arban, Clarke, Schlossberg etc daily. The reason is it serves their needs to remain a great player. A young player may need to do much more simple work to improve.

There is a reason why most of my students are NOT assigned this work, even if I use them. They are not ready for them. If they decide to go off the reservation and work on this stuff without telling me, then they might do themselves a great service, of a great injustice. Most likely they will have a negative impact on their playing.

I have one young guy, heaps of potential, will be great. He is 7 years old. Just passing through a grade 1 exam, with a high distinction, he is ready to breeze through the grade 2 material and be ready to sit grade 3 in May next year. Until his 'piano' teacher decide to give him some help (I suspect they can't play piano either)... Why a 7 year old needs to be playing Caruso exercises, lip flexibility up to high C (can't hit a high G well yet) and work on triple tonguing is beyond my imagination.

By the time I discovered this, he had been slogging on this work for a few weeks and not what I assigned (too easy, it seems). We have now spent a month trying to undo the damage, reduce the tension, get the air back into his playing, and reassure him all will be fine, just enjoy the experience.

Your teacher, Spencer, may well feel the same way... talk to your teacher and ask about this sort of material. We sort of like to be asked questions!

cheers

Andy
spencerkotulski

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all of the great advice!
oj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Swedish composer Bo Nilsson passed (1 May 1937 – 25 June 2018)

Trumpeter Bo Nilsson(Håkan Hardenbergers teacher) is alive as far as I know.

Ole
BraeGrimes
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vessehune wrote:
Along this same line what does eveyone feel are the essentials that need to be in someone's practice routine?

Noise - the sound/s it makes, including multiple articulations
Pitches - control and connection between the notes across the range, including intonation
Time - accurately placing the pitches and noises within time, including divisions and subdivisions of time, reading studies, etc.
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JVL wrote:
Bo Nilsson, not Neilson.
I didn't know that he passed...
I had seen him during the Trompetentag in Bremen 93, with Anthony Aarons, you know Andy..

Well do I know Ant, he is bowing up a storm these days - we (he) stole the show in a couple of Messiahs last weekend... You know it's going well when you get the standing ovation and the soloists are just hanging about waiting for recognition!

And I must add the timpanist as well - Chiron completed a troika of 'superlativeness'!

cheers

Andy

Oh - and now I can spell the name correctly. Thanks!
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Routine Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
oliver king
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric Bolvins guided tour of the St Jacome Grand Method
Turning pages in Thibaud Studies
LB Bel Canto #59
Holton B47
Frankenhorn projects 1-5
Adams F1
Olds Super Tenor Trombone
Alesis QS8
B2MS3, B2GS3,
Hotdeal1

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been playing trumpet since mid 1980s in various settings and music styles from classical through jazz to salsa. Met and played with trumpet legends and not legends and learned from all. Now it's also YouTube available and tons of information there to take from . The best I can say is to invent your own practice routine which works for you ! The routine can change every day if you wish or periodically depends of what you want to work on ?! It's up to you !! Not to waste time someone can incorporate scales he / she is working on into warm ups. Whatever you know well don't waste time playing unless you wish to increase speed or use this to increase your range / speed confidence . Silence and rest plays a big part in it for example range development and not to overdo and break your muscles . Trumpet is not the instrument for an instant gratification ! Gratification comes later after something impossible to play at first became easier or easy and or 2nd nature after many hours and days, months or even years were spent to achieve that goal whatever the goal is. Good luck .
garrettjazzer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Breathing.
2. Air flow.
3. Lip response.
4. The start of sound
5. Long tones that move about.
6. My range on the horn.
7.Technique.
8. Reading and musicality.
9. Repertoire on the festering pile.
10. Response, fingers, air flow. How are they now?

Couldn't agree with this more!
BarryWilson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, I want to thank all you who posted in this forum. I've found the information to be very helpful.

Second, I'm an amateur and have never had a strong range above the staff. Some years ago someone recommend Claude Gordon's Systematic Approach to Daily Practice.Knowing I'm not a strong player (and 63 years old) would anyone care to recommend how many days per week one should practice one of his upper register exercises? I know not to do them every day!
Yamaha YTR 8335 Gen I Xeno (Back up horn)
Yamaha Bobby Shew Flugel
Leblanc Paris C
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The words are important, as are all the other material Gordon lists.

Your best option is to read and post in the Claude Gordon forum here. There are a lot of students/teachers who can help guide you.
trumpetchops
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have one. I play when I can. If I have time, I warm up. Then if I have time I work on some things like double tonguing. Mostly I'm working on music I have to play for the next show.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: