• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

quietly in the upper register

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: quietly in the upper register Reply with quote

i have heard you guys talking about this for years and finally tried doing it. it's a good way to whistle them notes out and attain finer control. it's a funny thing about trying new things and being balky and resistant. you have to be in the right frame and ready to take the step. trumpet mimics life.
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: quietly in the upper register Reply with quote

chuck in ny wrote:
i have heard you guys talking about this for years and finally tried doing it. it's a good way to whistle them notes out and attain finer control. it's a funny thing about trying new things and being balky and resistant. you have to be in the right frame and ready to take the step. trumpet mimics life.

The thing Ive learned in low volume/hi register practice is the importance of embuchere shape. If you have the correct shape for a note, the support and air required is lessened and the note is eventually easy. That’s my takeaway but whatever it is works well.
Rod
chuck in ny
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more or less the same as your experience rod, the lips have to be properly set for each pitch. less air is a good thing i will work on that.
cbtj51
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: quietly in the upper register Reply with quote

chuck in ny wrote:
... it's a funny thing about trying new things and being balky and resistant. you have to be in the right frame and ready to take the step. trumpet mimics life.

Quotable!

Mike
‘92 Bach 37 Bb
'98 Getzen 895S Flugelhorn
'00 Bach 184 Cornet
'02 Yamaha 8335RGS
'16 Bach NY 7
'16 XO 1700RS Piccolo
Reeves 41 Rimmed Mouthpieces
Bill Ortiz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spot on Rod-very true
'56 Martin Committee Deluxe #2 trumpet
14B Schilke mouthpiece
Couesnon Paris flugelhorn
Bob Reeves Sleeves and PVA
RussellDDixon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly what Vizzutti teaches in his High Range Trumpet Method which is an excellent book by the way.
Kanstul Claude Gordon Personal mouthpiece
GizB
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: quietly in the upper register Reply with quote

chuck in ny wrote:

I can think of times where my teacher has told me something he told me many times before, but finally, it just clicked. Could be I finally had the physical experience to grasp it, or maybe the mental ability. That's led to a saying around my house, "You get it when you get it."
GreatRambino

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. This is an interesting topic.
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreatRambino wrote:

You have posted an almost identical sentence in 4 other threads in quick succession. What a lazy way of reaching 5 posts...

The new members who seek to simply abuse the system for their own needs are spotted very quickly.

All the best
GizB
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LSOfanboy wrote:
GreatRambino wrote:

The new members who seek to simply abuse the system for their own needs are spotted very quickly.t

When shopping the Marketplace, I always look at when the seller joined TH, and stick with truly active members, ie, ones who've been around for awhile and make substantive posts.
GreatRambino

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a rough way to say hello to new members. I am not here to abuse anything. If you noticed where I posted they are all in a specific forum. I am here to help my son by gathering ideas to help with issues he is having. We are also looking to buy a new horn and I didn't know if "5" posts were required to buy on marketplace as I am still trying to figure this site out.
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreatRambino wrote:
What a rough way to say hello to new members. I am not here to abuse anything. If you noticed where I posted they are all in a specific forum. I am here to help my son by gathering ideas to help with issues he is having. We are also looking to buy a new horn and I didn't know if "5" posts were required to buy on marketplace as I am still trying to figure this site out.

Welcome!

Out of interest, did you think it would endear you to the community to resurrect several old threads to post virtually identical single-sentence responses containing no substance whatsoever?

You said it yourself; 'We are also looking to buy a new horn'. That's made my mind up for me.

Whilst I wouldn't ordinarily want to invoke such hostility, I (and, I can assure you, many other members) find it immensely frustrating when a new member joins; posts 5 entirely unnecessary posts in, what was it, less than 5 minutes? Before trying to then defend it as some kind of innocent mistake.

My judgement has been made already, and I suspect many others' too.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personal attacks are against the Usage Agreement.

Responding to a new poster so negatively is really pointless.

If they really are five-post wonders, they'll make their five and disappear to the Marketplace, never to be heard from again.

If they are trolling, responding will just feed them and make them happy whilst making a bigger mess of the thread.

If they are a legitimate newcomer looking for interesting topics and help, you just slammed the door in their face.

Just ignore if you've nothing to say. If the post looks like a scam artist or is otherwise out of line then report it to the moderators. Becoming a forum-nanny in the thread is rarely helpful.
GreatRambino

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally am not the trumpet player in the family so I wouldn't have much insight to post for you all. The threads may be old to you but they are new and relevant information to me. I am sorry you think I am a scammer but in reality I am just a dad trying to help his kid play the trumpet better. And one who didn't realize that I must endear myself to the community before I was allowed free roam on the site.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LSOfanboy wrote:
GreatRambino wrote:

You have posted an almost identical sentence in 4 other threads in quick succession. What a lazy way of reaching 5 posts...

The new members who seek to simply abuse the system for their own needs are spotted very quickly.

All the best

If they're complying with the rules and requirements they're not "abusing the system." If they're complying with the rules and requirements they're, in fact, "respecting the system."

That being said, why does qualifying for the marketplace by making 5 posts offend so many people here when making 5 posts is the rule/requirement? How is anyone personally compromised if someone posts 5 times simply to gain access to the marketplace? Gaining access to the marketplace is a legitimate purpose for being on TH.
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don Herman rev2 wrote:

If they really are five-post wonders, they'll make their five and disappear to the Marketplace, never to be heard from again.

If they are trolling, responding will just feed them and make them happy whilst making a bigger mess of the thread.

If they are a legitimate newcomer looking for interesting topics and help, you just slammed the door in their face.

Just ignore if you've nothing to say. If the post looks like a scam artist or is otherwise out of line then report it to the moderators. Becoming a forum-nanny in the thread is rarely helpful.

Ok. Good points which I accept. I shall bow out.

All the best
Rod Haney
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will find a thick skin is necessary here I’m afraid. I’ve never seen it different on narrow subject forums. It seems to be a part of internet culture, don’t be discouraged ask what you need to know, and 5 posts aren’t necessary to buy. I’ve gotten some very good direction and some very bad, like everything else in life you must be the judge. I look at nothing posted here I find can be accepted as gospel with 2 exceptions: get a good teacher, I would recommend someone whose play is as superior to yours as possible and one you can talk to and share with. : practice as much as possible on those things that allow you to play the music you want to play.

If you look at postings here and just look at them as views and sometimes widely held ones and try for yourself. It’s been many years since I got paid to play and I didn’t even pick up a horn for 45 years but I’ve gotten much from the forum, as long as I’m careful what I eat or mask others to eat🤭
Rod
GreatRambino

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rod Haney wrote:
You will find a thick skin is necessary here I’m afraid. I’ve never seen it different on narrow subject forums. It seems to be a part of internet culture, don’t be discouraged ask what you need to know, and 5 posts aren’t necessary to buy. I’ve gotten some very good direction and some very bad, like everything else in life you must be the judge. I look at nothing posted here I find can be accepted as gospel with 2 exceptions: get a good teacher, I would recommend someone whose play is as superior to yours as possible and one you can talk to and share with. : practice as much as possible on those things that allow you to play the music you want to play.

If you look at postings here and just look at them as views and sometimes widely held ones and try for yourself. It’s been many years since I got paid to play and I didn’t even pick up a horn for 45 years but I’ve gotten much from the forum, as long as I’m careful what I eat or mask others to eat🤭
Rod

Thank you. Much appreciated!
Don Herman rev2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreatRambino wrote:
I personally am not the trumpet player in the family so I wouldn't have much insight to post for you all. The threads may be old to you but they are new and relevant information to me. I am sorry you think I am a scammer but in reality I am just a dad trying to help his kid play the trumpet better. And one who didn't realize that I must endear myself to the community before I was allowed free roam on the site.

Endearment not required, just a beer or maybe Scotch and soda. Or even neat.

Seriously, and assuming you are as well, in defense of the negativity the forum has experienced a lot of people who came here, made five random posts in five random threads, then post whatever they have on the Marketplace. The Marketplace was getting flooded with junk so we put in the rule to allow (force)new members to introduce themselves. We are not eBay, more like a family (yes, with the full range of personalities), and wish to know a bit about the person from whom we are buying (or to whom we are selling). So you simply got caught in the net. Carry on, and feel free to peruse threads and ask questions to help your son (daughter). But do bear in mind this is the Internet, with all sorts of folk from all over the word participating, and on the 'net nobody can see you smile.
Don Herman rev2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LSOfanboy wrote:
Don Herman rev2 wrote:

Ok. Good points which I accept. I shall bow out.

All the best

Thank you. Wasn't directed solely or specifically at you. Feel free to contribute, emphasis on that last word (another point made for and to the world at large).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: