• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Torpedo cases- seldom asked questions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kristiner
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I push a cloth down to the bottom of my Torpedo to catch any drainage, and wash it every so often. When I’m storing the horn in the case vertically, I leave the lid open whenever possible so it can air dry (I don’t like leaving my horn on a stand unattended). Swabbing the leadpipe regularly is essential, as others have posted.

Here’s a pro tip - when inserting your horn into a Torpedo, do so with the valve tops on the handle side. That way, when you’re carrying it in the case, the horn is upright and your dirty excess oil doesn’t seep back up into the valves. When I set the case down horizontally in the car or whatever, I make sure the handle is up for the same reason.

Torpedobags are great - I’ve used them for almost a decade, traveling all over the place and hauling my horn to work and back daily. Plus, the indestructability... my Peacemaker was in the back of my SUV when it took a direct hit from a Ford F-150 going about 50mph. I was rear-ended, and the case was up against the hatchback inside. The car was totaled and I had six months of chiropractic visits, but not a scratch on the trumpet!
http://kristiner.com
richarddownunder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

really useful thoughts and experiences. Kristiner...hope you have recovered well from your crash!

Many thanks for all the posts.

Cheers
Richard
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Torpedo cases- seldom asked questions Reply with quote

I think this is a non-event issue. Sure, we can mistreat our horns, do silly things with kids open, but the bottom line is, they are great cases. I use one and have had zero issues ever.

So, Richard.

1. Dont drop your trumpet when you take it out of the case, and don’t shove it in. Be gentle, and thee will be zero issues with your bell.

2. Blow the water out of your horn before putting it in the case. Takes all of about 10 seconds.

3. If you have blown out most of water, this is a non issue. Treat it like you would an ordinary case and trumpet.

Hope that helps!

Cheers

Andy
jazzvuu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richarddownunder wrote:
USCGRick wrote:
I don’t care for them. I’ve used one and I don’t care for pulling my horn out by the bell either. I also don’t care for storing my horn vertically either. And finally the case isn’t as tough as one might think. You need to be especially careful with the end by the bell as that is a very weak point. An example would be if traveling through security at the airport. Placing the case on the belt and letting it go bell forward so it could hit as it gets pushed out the end. I’ve seen damaged bells from this.
Mine is in the closet now collecting dust.
Happy to sell mine cheap to get rid of it.

That's an interesting counterpoint to other comments and was what I was wondering. The Yamaha double case is sounding more and more like the best solution.

I had both the newer and older style yamaha doubles. They are okay cases to me. I used them mainly for home storage and they left the house rarely (for performance needing more than 2 horns as a 2nd case to lug with me). I did not like using them versus my Torpedo coyote even thought they were lighter because the horns do not sit snug in the slots. They have a lot of wiggle room (up to inch of play). The case protects from impact but not inertia so the horns slide in the case to hit the case themselves. Where as the Torpedo keeps the trumpet securely in it slot. I just purchase a peacemaker over the holiday and have been using it daily since. I do some of the mention things and I have loved it. I got a trumpet bag from ACB for like 8 bucks to prevent sliding friction of the inside of the case to the horn. I have always used hair bands for my horns for the 1st and 3rd slides.

There are other great case out there but for the price and protection, Torpedo are hard to beat.
BUZZCPA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious, has anyone experienced excessive lacquer/silver plate wear. The horn really is a snug fit and I wonder about wear every time I put the horn in and pull it out.
jazzvuu
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUZZCPA wrote:
Just curious, has anyone experienced excessive lacquer/silver plate wear. The horn really is a snug fit and I wonder about wear every time I put the horn in and pull it out.

I am not sure as I have not had mines long enough to truly vouch it hence why I use the ACB trumpet bag.

Now I will say that I have my coyote for a good 4-5 years and it was used daily. I have mainly silver plated horns and one gold plated Bb. Never had problems with rub wear in the coyote but the horn pulled outs differently so less rub space.
richarddownunder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazzvuu wrote:
richarddownunder wrote:
USCGRick wrote:
I don’t care for them. I’ve used one and I don’t care for pulling my horn out by the bell either. I also don’t care for storing my horn vertically either. And finally the case isn’t as tough as one might think. You need to be especially careful with the end by the bell as that is a very weak point. An example would be if traveling through security at the airport. Placing the case on the belt and letting it go bell forward so it could hit as it gets pushed out the end. I’ve seen damaged bells from this.
Mine is in the closet now collecting dust.
Happy to sell mine cheap to get rid of it.

That's an interesting counterpoint to other comments and was what I was wondering. The Yamaha double case is sounding more and more like the best solution.

I had both the newer and older style yamaha doubles. They are okay cases to me. I used them mainly for home storage and they left the house rarely (for performance needing more than 2 horns as a 2nd case to lug with me). I did not like using them versus my Torpedo coyote even thought they were lighter because the horns do not sit snug in the slots. They have a lot of wiggle room (up to inch of play). The case protects from impact but not inertia so the horns slide in the case to hit the case themselves. Where as the Torpedo keeps the trumpet securely in it slot. I just purchase a peacemaker over the holiday and have been using it daily since. I do some of the mention things and I have loved it. I got a trumpet bag from ACB for like 8 bucks to prevent sliding friction of the inside of the case to the horn. I have always used hair bands for my horns for the 1st and 3rd slides.

There are other great case out there but for the price and protection, Torpedo are hard to beat.

Yes, that is true of the Yamaha cases - there is a bit of slop. I used to lug my Yamaha C around in a backpack and it never suffered, but I take the point. I was wondering about gently stuffing some bubble wrap or foam chips around my new horn in the Yamaha case (just for the long flight home...not on a regular basis ), but maybe best I try a Torpedo to satisfy myself one way or another.

Again, thanks all for the helpful comments.

Cheers
Richard
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUZZCPA wrote:

I really think that’s a non issue, I have used Torpedoes for over ten years, zero problems. Maybe, I don’t know, around 150 years from now I might see a bit of finish wear from my Torpedoes.....😎

Seriously, just like anything else, if you’re reasonably careful there should be no problems. Are they PERFECT? Yes, yes they are. Perfect. (Edit: that was a JOKE guys)!
(Hey Steve, please mail my endorsement check to my new mailing address.....😉😉).

Brad

Last edited by Brad361 on Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are they perfect? No! The D ring that attaches the strap to case keeps twisting round. And it really annoys me. Fit a round one, then it would be perfect.😎

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rapier232 wrote:
Are they perfect? No! The D ring that attaches the strap to case keeps twisting round. And it really annoys me. Fit a round one, then it would be perfect.😎

As long as we are nitpicking, it would be nice if the price were less. But it is not out of line with other high end cases.
NikolaTomic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using a Torpedo Classic as my main single case for just over four years now, and could not be more impressed. After months on and off and on and off a tour bus, numerous flights, subway rides, and road trips galore, the thing still looks practically brand new, and has never let me down. Besides being durable and fitting wherever I need to put it, it really is convenient to use. When packing for air travel, I just remove the accessory pouch and put that in my checked bag. The compartment in the top fits my three-mouthpiece leather pouch perfectly. Most importantly, my instruments have never been damaged in the case, or on their way in and out of it.

Regarding the moisture question, I do generally take the horn out of the case upon returning home, and leave it out until I need to bring it somewhere else. If there is better value for money out there in the single case world, I have yet to see it.
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NikolaTomic wrote:
I've been using a Torpedo Classic as my main single case for just over four years now, and could not be more impressed. After months on and off and on and off a tour bus, numerous flights, subway rides, and road trips galore, the thing still looks practically brand new, and has never let me down. Besides being durable and fitting wherever I need to put it, it really is convenient to use. When packing for air travel, I just remove the accessory pouch and put that in my checked bag. The compartment in the top fits my three-mouthpiece leather pouch perfectly. Most importantly, my instruments have never been damaged in the case, or on their way in and out of it.

Regarding the moisture question, I do generally take the horn out of the case upon returning home, and leave it out until I need to bring it somewhere else. If there is better value for money out there in the single case world, I have yet to see it.

+1.

Brad
jhellerstein

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a TorpedoBag classic from the manufacturer on scratch-and-dent basis about 10 years ago -- the backpack straps were messed up, which I didn't care about. I've used it a lot. Over time the pinky hook on my Selmer Concept started snagging on the interior fabric and now every time I take out the horn I have to stick my arm in and guide the pinky hook past or it catches in a hole. Just enough annoying that I tend to just grab my double case even if I'm not playing my flugelhorn.

The Concept's pinky ring has no rounding like most horns do, so YMMV.

Otherwise agree with the discussion -- very handy that it doubles as a trumpet stand, you can sit on it in a pinch, it's not super comfortable to carry with the strap over your shoulder but it's ok. Feels very secure taking it on a plane.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you half-turn the horn so that the pinky hook faces the undamaged side and the casing bottoms face the damaged side of the lining?
richarddownunder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, bought a Peacemaker. I figure, as many have said, it'll be excellent for carting a trumpet on a plane - so this is its primary function in my case. As for day-to-day use, we'll see. It'll take a bit of getting used to. Initial feeling is that the trumpet slides in nicely, catches a bit on the way out so I'll get a silk liner made to pull it out with. If that turns out to be a pain I may just use the standard case for day-to-day and the Torpedo on trips etc. Time will tell.

Thanks for all the helpful advice.

Cheers
Richard
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It definitely is a different feel, pulling out and putting in the horn, and some people simply don’t care for Torpedos because of that. I have been using them for about 12 years, to me there are far more benefits than negatives. Like Andy said: if you’re concerned about dropping the horn when you lift it out by the bell, just don’t drop it.....problem solved.😉

Brad
richarddownunder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad361 wrote:
if you’re concerned about dropping the horn when you lift it out by the bell, just don’t drop it.....problem solved.😉

Brad
-That is certainly the intention .
Cheers
Richard
amymustijujitsumyma

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recently stopped using a torpedo bag here's why
1) i cycle, a lot, yes the torpedo is super protective BUUT it's incredibly un comfortable on a bike, especially if you wear a helmet, there are other bags that are far more ergonomic for transporting on the body
2) as for protection in flight situations, imo no horn of mine should reeeaally need that level of protection if it's going in the overhead storage, back of a van or on my back- and a small hardcase should do the trick with a small external bag for mutes.
3) the trumpet i kept in that bag was a vintage balanced model and, after a year or so of using the torpedo there seemed to have been some slight droop in the leadpipe, we could only think to attribute this to the pressure of the torpedo bag, (and this was ultimately what caused me to get rid of the case)

the torpedo IS good, and it is protective buuuut i think for lack of comfort and the price (new price at least) i think there's plenty other cases out there that offer ample protection and ergonomic design -
thomann do some good ones, pro tec even do a good hardcase, fusion bags and maybe tom and will? (although i have only ever had a soft case form them) i do think that the marketing for torpedo bags is great though!!!
i guess bottom line imo is yes great bags, but there's plenty other options - if you see one second hand probs worth it if your horn isn't fragile
amymustijujitsumyma

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kristiner wrote:

Torpedobags are great - I’ve used them for almost a decade, traveling all over the place and hauling my horn to work and back daily. Plus, the indestructability... my Peacemaker was in the back of my SUV when it took a direct hit from a Ford F-150 going about 50mph. I was rear-ended, and the case was up against the hatchback inside. The car was totaled and I had six months of chiropractic visits, but not a scratch on the trumpet!

ok that sounds gnarly and obvs the case clearly did it's job!! - i will just say that i now use a straight up xeno case, i also travel a lot with my horn and, unless it does get run over by a car as per the torpedo marketing vid, i can't foresee any issues -
Matthew Anklan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve used Torpedo Bags cases since 2002/3 and am a super happy customer. The Classic and Coyote are my go-to cases for all travel needs. No issues with damage after +/- 100 flights, car/bus tours, and family vacations. It’s been said before, but consider the cost of these cases as “cheap insurance” for your gear. I plan to use these cases for a long, long time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: