• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Footpedal for iPad and ForScore

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arbanator
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject: Footpedal for iPad and ForScore Reply with quote

I’ve been using ForScore on my iPad in the practice room for a few years, and I’m thinking about using it in performances as well. I think this would work best if I added a Bluetooth footpedal for page turning. Is this a good option? How do folks who use this set-up like it? What are the problems that you encounter with the footpedal? Which footpedal would you get if you could start from scratch?
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the AirTurn PedPro - https://www.airturn.com/products/airturn-pedpro

Turns out that I have never used it even once while performing. I just tap the screen on my tablet when I'm playing to turn the page.

The PedPro is cheap and is a good low-cost option, but I think that it's a little tough to use sometimes (it can be tough to tell if you've actually pressed the button, etc.). If I relied on it in a professional situation, I would recommend one of the bigger ones with an actual mechanical pedal switch, like this: https://www.airturn.com/products/airturn-bt200s-2-controller

Good luck!
dstdenis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve used an AirTurn BT-105 Bluetooth foot pedal with my iPad for years. Works great. I use it in rehearsals and performances, standing and sitting. They might have a newer model number by now.

Tips:
Practice with it at home before using it at a rehearsal or performance. It’s easy to use, but a bit of familiarity will help you avoid beginner mistakes. (Which I’ve made.)

Don’t set it where your neighbor can accidentally stomp it while playing. Yes, this has happened.

If you need to annotate the music with the onscreen keyboard, you have to give the power button on the pedal a quick press and release to activate the keyboard. If you’re using an Apple Pencil, just start writing.

Charge lasts a really long time. Don’t forget to recharge it every so often.
Piccolo Stomvi
Anthony Miller

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the iRig Blueboard recently but haven’t set it up yet.
The blueboard is one option that forScore mentions on their website. https://forscore.co/kb/irig-blueboard/

This YouTube video (in French) is how I plan to use it.

Link
DWallace
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used a PageFlip Firefly model with my iPad for the last couple of years for practice, rehearsal and performance. Works good for me especially when in the "half page" mode.
York Super Custom Cornet
Yamaha YTR-6445HS C Trumpet
Zeus Flugelhorn
Yamaha YTR 2320
Arbanator
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the comments. It looks like AirTurn has slightly updated the BT-105, which is now the BT-106.

Being able to use the Firefly when you have your iPad in half page mode seems like a great feature. Does the AirTurn work in that mode, too?
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arbanator wrote:
Thanks for all the comments. It looks like AirTurn has slightly updated the BT-105, which is now the BT-106.

Being able to use the Firefly when you have your iPad in half page mode seems like a great feature. Does the AirTurn work in that mode, too?

Yes. I use an airturn pedal.
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
I bought the AirTurn PedPro - https://www.airturn.com/products/airturn-pedpro

Turns out that I have never used it even once while performing. I just tap the screen on my tablet when I'm playing to turn the page.

The PedPro is cheap and is a good low-cost option, but I think that it's a little tough to use sometimes (it can be tough to tell if you've actually pressed the button, etc.). If I relied on it in a professional situation, I would recommend one of the bigger ones with an actual mechanical pedal switch, like this: https://www.airturn.com/products/airturn-bt200s-2-controller

Good luck!

I have both the Airturn PED and the PedPRO. The difference is the original PED took coin batteries, while the PedPRO is an internal battery charged by USB.

I have found that the PedPRO is slower in response. I believe it is some sort of later version BlueTooth power saving mode that makes it go to sleep and have to wake up. What I experience is that you tap it, nothing happens. You say "Crap, 2 measures to go !" hit it again and it takes you 2 pages forward. Then you panic again and back-tap twice but by then the band is already on the next page/sign/coda/whatevs and you really only needed to go back one. Now you've missed your cue and the band is 3 measures ahead.

This happened as well with that flic or clik or whatever it was called - the button. I really do believe power saving features are the culprit. Which is a shame, because I can buy CR-2032's for dirt cheap at Harbor Freight.

Which is what I do. I still use the PED, not the PedPRO.

The only time I hit the screen is A) Hitting links in ForScore to go to a sign or coda or repeat that I'm not sure whether it is on the same page or exactly where it is, and/or 2) Sometimes we are standing all through the gig, like at a Farmers Market or somesuch. I don't like taking my eyes off the screen to find out where the pedal is. When we're seated I don't have that problem as I always know where I am relative to the pedal.
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
'40 Olds Special Cornet, Military Issued
a.kemp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite two are the Firefly and the Donner.
jengstrom
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Airturn PED.

However, full disclosure, 95% of the time I just reach out and touch the screen. If I have a situation where that's a problem (like having to play a high, difficult passage while changing the page), then I'll pull out the Airturn and use it.

I agree with the others who say locating the pedal without looking can be a problem, but after a while you get used to it.

Pedal or no pedal, I think using the iPad and forScore is the way to go. I love it. Make sure you've got the pencil too.

John
Yamaha YTR-761 D/Eb
Kanstul 1525
Bach 196 picc
auswa84

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.com/PageFlip-Butterfly-Bluetooth-Turner-Pedal/dp/B01LIROF7W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1550856849&sr=8-3&keywords=bluetooth+foot+pedal+page+turner
ayryq
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for the Pageflip line; I've bought two for use at church. Our guitarist uses the simplest one (Butterfly?) and I (as the drummer) use the high-end Firefly model.

The firefly has two independent 1/8" jacks for switches which I've wired to a couple of arcade push buttons mounted to my hihat stand. When drumming it's easier to get a hand free than a foot, but swiping accurately on the tablet proved to be too much.

The batteries last for ages (though the Firefly has a usb power socket) and they've been very reliable paired with Android tablets.

That said, both the guitarist and I have need for "hands-free" page turning, I can't imagine needing it as a wind player. Even the violinists in our orchestra somehow manage to turn pages.

Eric

P.S. We use "MobileSheets Pro" on android which I can also recommend. I load songs and setlists from my PC, and sync the tablets over wifi. We don't use it, but I could sync the page-turning of the two tablets so only one of us would need to hit a button. And I believe in the newest version it can syncronize two tablets (on the same stand) for two adjacent pages.
DEG Signature 2000 Bb/A picc
Yamaha YTR-9835 Bb/A picc
Yamaha Bobby Shew flugel
Yamaha Neo cornet
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am typing this on a Chromebook. I was about to get a tablet to put music on then read a review about using Mobilesheetspro on a Chromebook. Just saved me a bunch of money. Plus, when looking at different pedals, some people had loads of problems with them. So........with my setup, I can have two pages visible at the same time. No need to page turn.

Just putting out another idea.

Conn 22B Trumpet
York Eminence Model 4028 Cornet
1903 Conn The Wonder Cornet
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard III wrote:
I am typing this on a Chromebook. I was about to get a tablet to put music on then read a review about using Mobilesheetspro on a Chromebook. Just saved me a bunch of money. Plus, when looking at different pedals, some people had loads of problems with them. So........with my setup, I can have two pages visible at the same time. No need to page turn.

Just putting out another idea.

What about music that has three or more pages?
lexluther
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Page flip Dragonfly works perfect. I'm 100% digital for everything. Use it with iPad Pro 12.9 and Forescore. While expensive, the system is a thing of beauty. I couldn't imagine going back to paper>
Flugel - Getzen Custom Reserve 4895
Eb/D - Yamaha 6610
Cornet - Bach Strad 184ML
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: