• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

What will you do when they come for your mouthpiece?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
amzi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject: What will you do when they come for your mouthpiece? Reply with quote

A San Francisco Bay Area environmental group has filed suit against 12 mouthpiece manufacturers and two mouthpiece retailers. I haven't read the names of the manufacturers, but the retailers are Union Square Music and Guitar Center. The stated goal of of the environmental group is to remove all traces of lead from the environment. Being a citizen of California I suspect that will lead to companies simply not selling brass instrument mouthpieces in California, or companies producing California Only mouthpieces, or companies only selling mouthpieces in California that are made of materials that contain absolutely no lead. All of this will result in higher prices for California brass musicians. And what will they come after next--raw brass instruments, silver plated instruments, brass instruments with worn lacquer? Indeed, will lacquered horns escape unscathed? Maybe lacquered horns will have to be tested by the state (at the manufacturers expense) to verify that the lacquer/epoxy coating that is used effectively eliminates lead leaching when held. I know this will likely have little impact on anyone other than California musicians, but it is aggravating. And, with what the state has already done to mess up firearms and ammunition; cars, trucks and fuel; boat motors; etc., etc., etc.

As something of an aside you should probably be aware that every mouthpiece tested contained such minute traces of lead that according to industry standards the brass is considered lead free.
Bach Stradivarius Bass Trumpet
Holton T171 Alto Trumpet
Yamaha 610 Eb/D Trumpet
Kanstul 920 Picc.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At current prices of silver, perhaps making everything from silver-copper alloy (e.g., shibuichi) could become an alternative.
amzi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some additional information from The Center for Environmental Health. Apparently two of the mouthpieces tested were saxophone mouthipeces, the JodyJazz and the Theo Wannes. Here are the trumpet mouthpiece manufacturers that they have filed suit against Bach, Schilke, Warburton, Denis Wick, Curry, Faxx, S.E. Shires, Parduba, Assymetric, and Best Brass.
Holton T171 Alto Trumpet
Yamaha 610 Eb/D Trumpet
Kanstul 920 Picc.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Brad361
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might annoy a few people, but why am I not surprised this is happening in California?

Brad
Croquethed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nuisance suit.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone is hating on California for its environmental policies. I'm nearly 60 and remember when the smog would blot out the sun. I do agree that some of the advocates get overzealous from time to time but in general life is way better now.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Croquethed wrote:
Nuisance suit.

Would that this was only a nuisance of well meaning dingbats.

This is a shakedown for money, at the expense of reality.
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
'40 Olds Special Cornet, Military Issued
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm buying stock in Kelly!
Voltrane
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would swallow it to prove there is no danger!
JohnD
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a lead mouthpiece is something different....go tell 'em...whatever they smoke, they should take less....
TrumpetNerd2357

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CEH article about the issue recommends stainless steel pieces. I have tried one top and two backbores made of SS, but found them a little lackluster. They feel about the same (some notable differences, but not enough to impact playability), but the sound is something entirely different (if everyone switched to SS today, our definition of a “good sound” would definitely have to change)
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the lead get through the silver plating?
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Connstellation 7B-N mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece

www.jazzscales.org

The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
amzi
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They soaked a mouthpiece in water then tested the water and found that it contained lead. Kind of sketchy on the details of the exact process.
Holton T171 Alto Trumpet
Yamaha 610 Eb/D Trumpet
Kanstul 920 Picc.
Tivolian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

amzi wrote:
They soaked a mouthpiece in water then tested the water and found that it contained lead. Kind of sketchy on the details of the exact process.

So, you're not concerned about the possibility of some degree of lead toxicity from this? Think about some fourth-grader who starts playing trumpet, plays every day for years, has other lead exposures (e.g. from lead paint residue, air pollution), and suffers some brain damage as a result. I'm not saying that exposure from a mouthpiece will lead to toxicity (I have no idea how much lead one might imbibe nor how that compares to toxic levels), but it seems just common sense to regulate any identified sources. Lead exposures are much higher in lower income communities where regulations are relaxed or not affordable. I'd urge you to be a little slower to conclude that these concerns have no merit.
Speed
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I am not concerned about lead in mouthpieces.

The person doing this test has released no significant information about her testing procedures. Did she check to see how much lead was in the water before putting the mouthpiece in it?

There are some serious problems with lead toxicity from old plumbing, and to a lesser extent, lead paint. Paint with lead in it has not been available for a few decades. Are there really many places that have not been repainted in that length of time?

Take care,
Marc Speed
Tivolian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed wrote:

The person doing this test has released no significant information about her testing procedures. Did she check to see how much lead was in the water before putting the mouthpiece in it?

There are some serious problems with lead toxicity from old plumbing, and to a lesser extent, lead paint. Paint with lead in it has not been available for a few decades. Are there really many places that have not been repainted in that length of time?

Take care,
Marc Speed

Yes, everywhere, especially in low income neighborhoods. Lead was taken out of gasoline decades ago too, and there's residue all over the place. It sticks around for a long time, and so do exposures.

Sure, it would be great to see the data. Meantime, I hope folks might think about exposures of others besides themselves and not just write this off as frivolous.
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tivolian wrote:
amzi wrote:

So, you're not concerned about the possibility of some degree of lead toxicity from this? Think about some fourth-grader who starts playing trumpet, plays every day for years, has other lead exposures (e.g. from lead paint residue, air pollution), and suffers some brain damage as a result. I'm not saying that exposure from a mouthpiece will lead to toxicity (I have no idea how much lead one might imbibe nor how that compares to toxic levels), but it seems just common sense to regulate any identified sources. Lead exposures are much higher in lower income communities where regulations are relaxed or not affordable. I'd urge you to be a little slower to conclude that these concerns have no merit.

This is exactly what these hype-masters thrive on. "I dont know - SO BAN IT ALL. HURRY!" and "Think of the children". I have been playing for 47 years and remodel old houses. I worry about asbestos, I worry about dioxins from early pesticides, and I worry about a bad back tat blew out trying to use an Aida this Christmas, but not lead in my mouthpiece.

Look at some numbers: Fine crystal glasses and decanters can be between 8 and 24% lead by weight, and the more acidic the liquid placed in them, the more metals will leech. One of the lead compliance tests for beverage containers involves vinegar-level PH liquid for 24 hours. 2500 micrograms/liter is allowed (FDA is reconsidering this as its a bit shocking). Your drinking water is allowed to contain 50 micrograms per liter. The closest any revelation from this testing has come to acknowledging a level is to say "we are talking micrograms". People usually only speak in that way if the number is not very many. And if you can go to the tap right now and pour a glass with 50 micrograms per liter safely, 5 or 10 in how long? maybe 24 hours - they wont say what the soak time was, or the PH, why is that suddenly a catastrophe?

But this is all about hype not science. The media is already all over this declaring mouthpieces are poisoning the kids. And then there is the "I don't know so it must be bad" mentality that is going to leave us with no mouthieces of any decent quality unless someone steps back and says simply "prove it".

Meanwhile, the hypemasters behind this are probably sitting back celebrating with wine in expensive crystal glasses, an acid that wil leech that lead at an alarming rate - but don't expect to hear them cry about that any time soon.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Tpt_Guy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tivolian wrote:

Sure, it would be great to see the data. Meantime, I hope folks might think about exposures of others besides themselves and not just write this off as frivolous.

Call a spade a spade.

My wife and son aren't being poisoned by the lead in my silver plated mouthpieces, nor is anyone else.

"A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence."
-Bruce Lee
OldSchoolEuph
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed wrote:

Its actually 2 different testers "work" merged. (One prompted the action by the greedier other) CEH did the water soak and wont admit PH, time or actual levels. The other, "she", is interviewed in this article:

https://www.webmd.com/special-reports/lead-dangers/20170906/lead-consumer-products

In it, she admits she is "not trying to be scientific". The person who started all this is using a tool designed for detecting lead under layers of paint while doing home inspections. It determines lead in material - presence only. Not accessibility, not concentration, and not the amount that will leech on contact with humans, foodstuffs, etc.

The CEH testing methodology might at least be somewhat valid - but now they need to quantify time, PH and level so that can be compared to acceptable standards.

The part missing in all of this, including my saying water soaks are a valid test, is that IF YOU ARE SUCKING ON THE MOUTHPIECE, YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG.

2017 Austin Winds Stage 466
1962 Mt. Vernon Bach 43
1954 Holton 49 Stratodyne
1927 Conn 22B
1957 Holton 27 cornet
1985 Yamaha YEP-621
1975 Yamaha YEP-321 Custom
1965 Besson Baritone
1975 Olds Recording R-20
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: