• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Visiting NYC and looking for trumpet in the $100-$200 range.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thisiswhowhat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:33 am    Post subject: Visiting NYC and looking for trumpet in the $100-$200 range. Reply with quote

Just started to learn trumpet as a New Years resolution. Looking to a beginners trumpet that is inexpensive. I'm visiting NYC in late Feb., and if anybody has a led of where I can get an inexpensive trumpet, it'd be much appreciated.
zaferis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay local - support your local store, Find the dealer(s) that provide service to your local schools.. buy or RENT from them.
As a beginner, one plus of renting is the maintenance support that is provided (small repairs and cleaning as a part of the agreement) AND many have an "step-up" clause.. within the rental period you can use equity to upgrade to a newer, slightly better instrument.
Retired Air Force Bandsman
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dillon Music in Woodbridge, NJ. Huge selection. Low prices. Extremely knowledgeable salespeople. Train ride from midtown Manhattan.

Or

If you don't want to take the train ride to NJ and you want a Yamaha trumpet, make an appointment to go to the Yamaha Atelier in Manhattan. Choose a trumpet and tell them which music store you want to purchase it from. You'll read the store your credit card number, pay the store's price, and walk out of the Atelier with your new trumpet. (At least they had this arrangement when I was there several years ago.) Dillon will likely have the lowest price in the country.

EDIT: Oops. Just reread your thread title and saw you want a horn for under $200. You won't get one at the Yamaha Atelier. Sorry.

Last edited by Jerry on Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J Landress Brass is an amazing shop in midtown! A MUST stop for any trumpeter!

Best,
T
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
Jerry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trent, does Josh sell beginner's trumpets?
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry wrote:
Trent, does Josh sell beginner's trumpets?

I don't operate his shop. That's a question to ask him... at the very least any trumpeter should go there just for the museum!
trombahonker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of used Bach and Yamaha student trumpets on ebay for $~100...
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shopping eBay can be risky if you are focusing on the price, overlooking other factors.

I personally wouldn't send a beginner to eBay unless he has a knowledgeable colleague who can read the ads with some awareness and to buy from someone who has a liberal return policy.

I should add that I have had really good results buying off of eBay. But I know what I'm doing.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At that price point you're really looking at a garage sale, pawn shop or extremely inexpensive ebay horn.
thisiswhowhat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Looks like Dillion's is my best bet. Reply with quote

Dillion's seems to have the best choice for a beginner instrument. It's a bit out of the way, but seems to be worth a bus ride out of Manhatten to look around.
JayKosta
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is a local adult 'community band' in your area, contact them and explain what you're looking for. Somebody can probably help or give you some local leads. And they are likely to do a thorough job of showing you the horn and how it works.
Some good brands to look for are: Conn, King, Holton, Getzen, Benge, Blessing, Bach, Selmer, Yamaha, Jupiter.
When inspecting a horn, verify that all 4 of the slides move, the pistons operate smoothly, and examine the 'metal work' of how the various braces and flanges are soldered together - there shouldn't be any rough edges, large solder voids, etc. Obvious repaired areas should look like they were done by someone who knew what they were doing - duct tape & epoxy is not good.

Jay
Oh ya, watch the conductor - they set what is 'on time'.
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Visiting NYC and looking for trumpet in the $100-$200 ra Reply with quote

thisiswhowhat wrote:
Just started to learn trumpet as a New Years resolution. Looking to a beginners trumpet that is inexpensive. I'm visiting NYC in late Feb., and if anybody has a led of where I can get an inexpensive trumpet, it'd be much appreciated.

You won't find anything worth playing for 100 to 200 dollars in nyc, so stay away from josh landress, he is awesome but he's not in business to give you a free horn, Dillons is an option, but at that price point your likely to get a horn with 2 valves, however if you can up the price a bit a trip to dillons is well worth it. Dillons brand horns are in the 400 dollar range and are quite good horns for the beginner. be realistic, at 200 dollars you'll probably only find a plastic trumpet.

good luck,

tom

Last edited by deleted_user_680e93b on Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean offense to the OP - but your post reads like this to me:

"I'm visiting the most expensive city in America! While I'm there, where can I find the cheapest trumpet in America?"

You see the potential problem there.

But yes, Josh Landress' shop is a must-visit, as is Dillon's, although you are going to have to increase your budget to get a playable instrument.
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turkle wrote:
I don't mean offense to the OP - but your post reads like this to me:

"I'm visiting the most expensive city in America! While I'm there, where can I find the cheapest trumpet in America?"

You see the potential problem there.

But yes, Josh Landress' shop is a must-visit, as is Dillon's, although you are going to have to increase your budget to get a playable instrument.

What Turkle said, + 100 , thats what i was trying to say !!

Tom
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the day you used to be able to get cheap used instruments at Peppy's, and also at the pawn shops. I don't think that there are any pawn shops left in Manhattan, but there are probably more where you come from. The other posters are correct. You don't go to NYC to look for a cheap horn. There is a poster here that lives in NYC quik6 or something like that. He usually has ads posted.
MalinTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:45 pm    Post subject: Cheap trumpets Reply with quote

I lived in NYC from 1948 till 2015. Something cheap in New York is an oxymoron. Buy an old Bundy, Conn, Olds, Yamaha etc. on EBay and see a concert or a Broadway show.
LCM
Irving
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Staten Island ferry is free.
quikv6
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject: NYC Reply with quote

Hey folks,

I've lived in New York for about 38 years. In keeping with the initial poster's budget, I only see craigslist (and possibly newer sites such as Letgo) as a viable option. Often in big cities, there will be more volume listed within that particular city's craigslist.

Yes, Dillion's is wonderful. I've been a customer there for over 20 years. Yes, Josh Landress' shop is wonderful as well. I recommend them both with full confidence. I just feel that the budget may be the limiting factor, although it is quite possible that either store may have a few good playing student horns floating around.

Perhaps arranging a local sale meetup at Dillion's or Josh's shop would be a possibility, whereby those shops (did I mention they're both fantastic?) could assist the op, for a minimal fee, in examining his potential purchase? Just an idea.

Regardless...I wish the author the best of luck!

Oh...and fyi...The Staten Island Ferry wasn't always free. It's one of those extremely rare occasions where a toll decreases, or in this case, completely disappears!
dstpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
At that price point you're really looking at a garage sale, pawn shop or extremely inexpensive ebay horn.

Or from one of us that may have some good-playing trumpets in that price range. I may have a couple. Send me a Private Message (pm) below, and I'll check these that I received to sell for an older collector friend. I am not in NYC, but I can ship anywhere in CONUS.
deleted_user_680e93b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Visiting NYC and looking for trumpet in the $100-$200 ra Reply with quote

thisiswhowhat wrote:

Check out dillons website, i just saw a number of horns within your budget and they aren't that bad either. A nice yamaha student model, a dillons reverse leadpipe model and some others.

Look on their website, make a purchase ans then all you have to do is pick it up when you come in late February.

good luck,

tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: