• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Yikes!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject: Yikes! Reply with quote

I think I'll turn my flugel into a lamp!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AvImcsbt1U&frags=pl%2Cwn

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is the greatest! Funny but it makes me want to pull out the flugel and spend the rest of my life trying to be 1% as good.

King 1130 Flugabone
King 12C mouthpiece
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As wonderful as his playing is in that clip, his vocal and the bit with Doc is priceless!

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Clark Reply with quote

Maybe the most perfect embouchure I've ever seen along with musicality seldom attained by anybody and the most beautiful, happy sound possible, it is mandatory to read his autobiography entitled "Clark, the autobiography of Clark Terry. He had a lot of roadblocks in his way over the years but transcended every one of them.
A couple of years ago at the ITG Josh Landress came over to my table to say hi and asked me to come by his display to see something special. Josh pointed to an Olds flugelhorn, a worn gig bag, a handwritten list of tunes, some mutes and a Giardinelli mouthpiece saying that a fellow came into his NYC shop with this "stuff" that he'd found in a dumpster and wondered if Josh was interested in buying it. It was Clark's flugelhorn and all the other pieces mentioned. I never did find out why it was put in a dumpster but what an unexpected surprise for Josh. Not for sale.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am always amazed by Clark Terry's playing more than that of any other trumpet player. His effortless and almost instinctual-looking circular breathing is just the icing on the cake - and that cake is beyond belief.
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for Clark's autobiography, what a great book from such a class act. You can hear two notes and instantly know it's the great Clark Terry.

I was recently astonished by his superb solo on "U.M.M.G." on the "...And His Mother Called Him Bill" album. My goodness.

And of course, if you ever need to be cheered up, listen to the duo album he recorded with Oscar Peterson. Stratospheric playing, and they are clearly just having a gas playing together.

Josh Landress now has the Clark Terry instruments, the handwritten setlist, mouthpieces, his red gator bag, and a few other items prominently displayed in his shop right when you walk in the door. I did not know the story of how he got them, but it's really great that they are now prominently displayed for the trumpet community.
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Clark Reply with quote

Tony Scodwell wrote:
Maybe the most perfect embouchure I've ever seen along with musicality seldom attained by anybody and the most beautiful, happy sound possible, it is mandatory to read his autobiography entitled "Clark, the autobiography of Clark Terry. He had a lot of roadblocks in his way over the years but transcended every one of them.
A couple of years ago at the ITG Josh Landress came over to my table to say hi and asked me to come by his display to see something special. Josh pointed to an Olds flugelhorn, a worn gig bag, a handwritten list of tunes, some mutes and a Giardinelli mouthpiece saying that a fellow came into his NYC shop with this "stuff" that he'd found in a dumpster and wondered if Josh was interested in buying it. It was Clark's flugelhorn and all the other pieces mentioned. I never did find out why it was put in a dumpster but what an unexpected surprise for Josh. Not for sale.

Tony Scodwell
www.scodwellusa.com

Amen to that Tony. Clark always made it look so easy.
I had the opportunity to play with CT once back in the mid late 70's. Sonny Costanzo was his lead trombonist and was also the head of the music dept. at Housatonic CC in Bridgeport, Conn. I spent some time there before heading off to Berklee to finish my degree. Sonny was always bringing in his friends to give concerts and sit in with the jazz ensemble. We got to play with Ernie Wilkins, Ed Soph, Danny Stiles, Rick Petrone,Bob Zotolla and many others.
Our jazz ensemble had quite a few of Clark's Big Band handy. We played 2 or 3 pieces with him. I was just a kid and I can still hear his amazing playing in my head. He also one of the nicest guys in the business. A wonderful man.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the honor of performing with Clark three times. On two of those occasions he brought along alto sax player Chris Woods with whom he was touring (this was in the mid '70's).

Obviously, Clark was an amazing player. If you want to hear a similar player listen to Harry "Sweets" Edison. There are some striking similarities although Clark took it to the next level or two.

Not only was Clark as nice a person as you could ever hope to meet, he was also very loyal. Chris Woods wrote a tune called "Somebody Done Stole My Blues". The tune was later recorded by Clifford Brown (and others) under the title "The Blues Walk." It's still known primarily as "The Blues Walk" but Clark remained loyal to his friend Chris Woods. Clark recorded the tune many times but always under the title "Somebody Done Stole My Blues." A little bit of jazz trivia you may not be aware of.
deleted_user_02066fd

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hermowiki, it doesn't surprise that CT was so loyal. Chris Woods may have been with Clark when we got to play with him. He had come to the school with his quintet that particular day. I heard Sonny Costanzo mention Chris Woods name quite often.
We were not supposed to play with him that day. Everyone in the jazz ensemble was at the performance and we all had our instruments. At the last minute Sonny asked CT if we could play a few tunes with him. Clark was more than happy to have us share the stage with him. We had a ball.
I still see a few of the people from my days at Housatonic. We always talk about the amazing people we got to rub elbows with because of Sonny Costanzo's connections.
Sonny, by the way was the best trombonist I have ever heard. He may not have been as well known as some of his contemporaries but he was an absolute monster on the trombone. He ran a very successful jazz festival at Quinnipiac University for years as well. I got to hear and meet some amazing musicians backstage at that event. Lew Soloff, Dave Brubeck, Bill Watrous and Thad Jones to name a few.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: