• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Which Arban Book?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject: Which Arban Book? Reply with quote

I want to pick up a copy but there seems to be many versions out there. Are they basically all the same or is there a certain one I should look for?

Also.. Would you recommend spending extra for a fancy spiral bound version?

Thanks
oliver king
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a 'new' 1936 printing. It works just fine.
LB Bel Canto #59
Holton B47
Frankenhorn projects 1-5
Adams F1
Olds Super Tenor Trombone
Alesis QS8
B2MS3, B2GS3,
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Which Arban Book? Reply with quote

mrhappy wrote:
I want to pick up a copy but there seems to be many versions out there. Are they basically all the same or is there a certain one I should look for?

Thanks

I would recommend spiral binding no matter which edition you get. I had mine done at Kinkos pretty cheaply.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Which Arban Book? Reply with quote

mafields627 wrote:
mrhappy wrote:

Thanks

I would recommend spiral binding no matter which edition you get. I had mine done at Kinkos pretty cheaply.

My (2) old copies are rather tatty on the spines - with how much use Arban books get, spiral binding sounds a great idea to me
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An advantage of a downloadable PDF version is printing out only the pages you need when you need them.

http://www.el-atril.com/partituras/Metodos/Complete%20Conservatory%20Method%20for%20Trumpet.pdf

If you need a structured way of using it, it can get convoluted, Eric Bolvin has written a course structure. This is not a stand-alone book, it is a lesson plan. You still need Arban materials.

https://qpress.ca/product/arban-manual/

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn

Last edited by kehaulani on Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
scott1860

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the Hooten/Marotta version! I did take mine to Kinkos and get it spiral bound ($10). Larger print/easier to read. The CD that comes with it is wonderful as well. I could listen to Mr Hooten play those Characteristic Studies all day.
astadler
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second the Hooten/Marotta edition. All the original Arban exercises and writing, with additional commentary from the editors. They make it clear what is Arban's and what's their commentary, and do their best to "modernize" some of Arban's teaching. Last year I actually gathered as many different Arban editions as possible for a small project to see what all the differences were.

If you want to break the bank, there is a 3-volume Leduc edition edited by Jean Maire that adds a lot of etudes and exercises, and even some orchestral excerpts if I recall. But the Hooten/Marotta is probably your best bet in my opinion.
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Arban Book? Reply with quote

mrhappy wrote:

Thanks

My original version was perfect-bound. It was hard to keep it open on a stand, and eventually fell apart.

About 10 years ago, I purchased the "Platinum Edition", which has a spiral bound comb and a CD of piano tracks for the Fantasies. I think this version is out-of-print.

But nowadays, I mostly use a free PDF version of Arbans on my laptop or notepad device. It's in the public domain.

One other addition that I've found helpful is the Music Minus One Arban Trumpet Duets. (The trumpet player on these recordings was my teacher back in high school.)

https://www.amazon.com/Arban-Trumpet-Duets-Harold-Lieberman/

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Zack_Mac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of people poo poo the new Hooten/Marotta edition published by Carl Fischer because the page numbers changed when the cleaned up the notation. But it's a great edition and the CD is amazing. So I wouldn't worry about whether you get an older Goldman edition or the new Hooten/Marotta edition; both are good.

The edition edited by Vizzutti is much the same as the Carl Fischer edition. He also cleaned up the notation and he added his Carnival of Venus at the end. This edition is a little more money than the CF edition ad I don't think it is worth it. Albeit, some of the advice Vizzutti gives is helpful, but you can probably do without it.

I also have the 3 book set published by Alphonse Leduc which I really like. Each book is about $50 though, so it is pretty pricey, and not really worth the money unless you are looking for some other exercises. This edition has many of the classic exercises people are used to in the Goldman edition with a few new ones. I also like the triple tonguing section in this edition more. It also takes out all the cheesy songs in the back and replaces them French conservatory etudes. They're way harder, but more interesting. And since it is a French edition, it focuses heavily on clef transposition.

I have never looked at a Boosey & Hawkes edition but from what I have read, it is very similar to the Carl Fischer edition.

I always recommend getting them spiral bound. The non-spiral bound Carl Fischer edition is only $5 cheaper than the spiral bound one. I would spend the extra $5 and not have to worry about taking it somewhere.

Sorry for the long reply. Best of luck.
Paul in GA

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Hooten edition, and other than the CD, hated it. I personally don’t care for the new font, and the repagination makes it hard to work with my teachers and their editions. Plus I have found several typos in the exercises.

I got so frustrated I bought an older edition on eBay.
bear30101

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

search this site for " FREE 985 page trumpet exercise and music book" you will find a link to a Free download of "Pops" excellent extended Arban's.
ProAm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a 1911 Carl Fisher edition on IMSLP that sure looks a lot like the (I think) 1936 edition paperback that I bought in the 70’s. I downloaded it and use it these days.

Choose La grande méthode complète de cornet from the list.

There are other interesting Arban works there, too.
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... thanks for all the advice on this guys!
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I wouldn't get too hung up on which edition. As long as it is easy to read and not overly-abridged, any will do.

Its the manner in which you approach practicing the material that makes the most difference, not the material itself.

All the best
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LSOfanboy wrote:
Personally, I wouldn't get too hung up on which edition. As long as it is easy to read and not overly-abridged, any will do.

Its the manner in which you approach practicing the material that makes the most difference, not the material itself.

All the best

I believer, the only Carl Fisher edition that's in print is the new Hooten/Marotta edition with the recordings mentioned above. The older Goldman editions whether spiral bound in the "platinum edition" (or whatever) or not are not currently in print. There might be some still hanging out there with some retailers, but I don't think they're being printed anymore.

You can get the new edition in either normal binding or spiral bound.

However, a different publisher has printed the old 1912 edition (minus the Goldman editing) and that is still in print.

https://www.jwpepper.com/Arban%27s-Complete-Conservatory-Method/10277688.item#/submit

There's an old TH thread in which the at least one of the editors tries to explain why they ended up changing the paging. Needless to say, lots of crusty trumpet players were not pleased.

Mine has notes from all of my former teachers, so it's not getting replaced.

I'll have to decide if I want it spiral bound. The regular binding - reinforced by shipping tape as it is - isn't ideal, but I haven't lost any pages. That's something I can't say about many spiral bound books I have.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Hooten/Marotta edition and like it (I kind of wish I'd spent for the spiral version, because I think it would hold up longer and sitter flatter on stands).

I also downloaded the Pops edition, but I don't know quite what it is. It seems to include materials not in other editions/versions? Actually, on looking at it again it has a large quantity of stuff from Arban and then about 250 pages of "Pops' Stuff."
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are studying with a teacher ask which version he/she prefers. If you are not, and studying with a teacher is not a viable option for you, I would recommend that you consider guided study of Arban's "Method."

One option is to purchase either of the printed Carl Fischer editions of Arban's "Method" -- Goldman/Smith/Gordon or Hooten/Marotta -- and then buy the corresponding edition of Eric Bolvin's excellent "Arban Manual," which is available online.

Another option is to buy Gerald Prescott's "Arban-Prescott," which is available in print or electronically. That book includes the excerpts from the Arban "Method" that you'll use for each lesson, so no need to purchase the full "Method" for now if you take that approach.[Edit: I should have noted that you also need the lesson plans themselves. The only source I am aware of for them is qPress at https://qpress.ca/product/prescott-technic-system-for-arban-trumpet-pdf/ You can select Lesson Plan Only if you have a print copy of the excerpts, or purchase the complete edition (Arban excerpts plus the lessons plans) either as an electronic file or print copy.]

Finally, the Andre-Ricquer edition of Arban's "Method," published by Billaudot, reorganizes the method into a series of programs and sessions (lessons). I should note that while this version is great for self-study, the reorganization is so complete that if you started taking lessons at some point your teacher might prefer you purchase one of the traditional editions rather than trying to figure this one out.

As far as other editions of Arban go, the Charles Colin and Allen Vizzutti editions are almost identical in content and structure to the Goldman/Smith and Goldman/Smith/Gordon editions, as is the edition published by Dover.

The Maire edition, published by Alphonse Leduc, is quite different. It includes material not written by Arban, and restructures the content so that it has more of a progressive flow than the original edition.

Good luck!

Last edited by Dayton on Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
If you are not, and studying with a teacher is not a viable option for you, I would recommend that you consider guided study of Arban's "Method."

I'll be falling under this category for the time being so that ' guidance' seem like a very good idea! Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: