• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mel Bay's Jazz Trumpet Studies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Knight

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject: Mel Bay's Jazz Trumpet Studies Reply with quote

Greetings. I know zero about playing jazz. I love it but never really tried to play it. I picked up Mel Bay's Jazz Trumpet Studies. It is a very appealing introduction that is seems to be very well organized and something I can wrap my mind around given the other voluminous material out there. It would logical to have an accompanying CD to hear how the phrases are played to learn the style. Does anyone know of anyone who has done this? For example, many people have tackled exercise material for other method books on YouTube which provides good stylistic/technical examples of how it should be done.

Best Wishes,

DK
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your question is about Mel Bay Method, can't help you. If it's about expanding your horizons, Aebersold's Vols. 1, 2 and 54 are a good place to go. So is Jerry Coker's little Primer, Improvising Jazz.

And this has been mentioned many times before. Jazz is an aural art. Listen voraciously. Go to live performance situations. Support your local musicians.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you check out this thread?

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32146

Might be something in there for you too.
Dark Knight

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrhappy wrote:
Did you check out this thread?

https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32146

Might be something in there for you too.

Yes. That post is wonderful. The OP has it correct. Getting into jazz is overwhelming. My main focus is to play what is written on the page stylistically correct with all the articulations and embellishments. The Mel Bay book is very incremental working towards improvisation. I do listen to jazz voraciously and love it. But, it "would have been" great if there was a CD or Youtube recordings so I could listen to how the phrases and short pieces are played to match what I am hearing with what I am reading to then immediate and learn.

DK
rockford
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Mel Bay's Jazz Trumpet Studies Reply with quote

Dark Knight wrote:
Greetings. I know zero about playing jazz. I love it but never really tried to play it. I picked up Mel Bay's Jazz Trumpet Studies. It is a very appealing introduction that is seems to be very well organized and something I can wrap my mind around given the other voluminous material out there. It would logical to have an accompanying CD to hear how the phrases are played to learn the style. Does anyone know of anyone who has done this? For example, many people have tackled exercise material for other method books on YouTube which provides good stylistic/technical examples of how it should be done.

Best Wishes,

DK
Mel Bay had a knack for making learning materials that are fun and accessible. I think the book was originally written before cd’s were commonly available but the explanations are pretty good. Getting together with a good teacher that has experience working with new people on jazz is really a must. This does not necessarily need to be a trumpet player. Anyway, you touched on the frustrating truth that many Jazz education materials are simply so overwhelming or demanding that most players eventually give up. While learning licks and tunes in 12 keys and memorizing hundreds of tunes is a noble endeavor it’s just not practical when starting out. As for listening, early Louis Armstrong is always a great place to start. There are several transcribed solo books available with his recorded solos that are great to study. Play along with the old Hot 5, 7 or whatever and keep it simple. There’s way too much of the “look what I can do on trumpet” crap out there and not enough focus on making an enjoyable solo for people to listen too. Keep it simple. Good luck and have fun with it.
Dark Knight

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rockford,

I think this is probably my path off least resistance least I get overwhelmed. I thought I saw something similar on qPress where the transcribed solos and listening examples were part of a bundle but I had wanted something simpler but it seems to be the way to go to get started.

The other sticky post suggested was indeed very good but for after I can get a sense of the style.

DK
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the trumpet volumes of Jim Snidero's "Jazz Conception" series. I think that is what you are looking for.
Faculty Jamey Aebersold Jazz Workshops 1976-2019
JazzRetreats.com
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Lenny Niehaus' Jazz Conception if you'd like to learn jazz patterns and how they can be varied. Caveat: they're written for saxophone so can get high for trumpet. Excellent books but that depends on your chops.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
Dark Knight

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,

I will look those volumes up.

DK
sergeybondarev
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look here - https://www.youtube.com/user/JazzEveryone/videos
GotNoChops

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:28 am    Post subject: Something I am working on. Reply with quote

I got a very basic book called The Jazz Method for Trumpet by John O'Neill and Steve Waterman off Amazon.

The reasons I like this book are that first I am building chops so a method in the lower register works for me. The book comes with a CD that has lots of Jazz easy progressions to improv on. There are some Blues, BossaNova, 40's kind of stuff and probably more. It is an easy method and that is the point. I wanted to learn the styles, not worry about the High C etc. Most every key is covered which can be challenging. I still trip on the Cb's and the E#'s but I am enjoying it.

On the other hand- This book does go pretty far.
pg 85
chord progression
Dm7 G7 Cdim7 Fdim7 Bm7b5 E7 Am6 Am6
...~give each chord a 4 count and improv with just the chord notes~

I hope this helps you.

Still,

GotNoChops
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must be a pretty advanced learner. I find this book full of things to think about as well as play.

Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
GotNoChops

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Something I am working on. Reply with quote

So there you go!

This book will take you from your first Low C to being a bit advanced.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: