• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Fides Trumpets

View previous topic :: View next topic  
leadtrmptplyr
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Fides Trumpets Reply with quote

Anybody have any experience playing these horns? Any of the models better for lead than others? Any help is appreciated. Thanks, Brian.
gigolaw
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I had the opportunity to play a Fires Synfonique, if I'm not mistaken. This is the one with the oval tuning slide and bell elbow. I'm not really craizy about it, but the upper register was amazing. Good presence, nice tone, mellow but inclined the bright side. Slippery sloting, kind of funny intonation due to the oval design, I guess. The sound was good but not as big, as dark and as expressive as my wild thing. The owner was able to get a triple F out of it. I was only able to get a solid G.
Curry 5DE trumpet mouthpiece
Giardinelli 7FL Flugel Mpc.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerry Lopez is the US distributer and a fine trumpet player himself. give him a call. http://www.gerrylopezmusic.com/main.sc;jsessionid=F8456538A7B2FC565ABFFDBF6F23E402.qscstrfrnt03
wiemelen
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all,
I know this is already an older thread, but why create a new one when there is already one with the same subject

Anyone played these instruments lately?
They seem reasonably priced and most (older) reviews are fairly positive?
I'm mostly active in concert and wind bands, with some bigband (not lead) on the side.
I would be mostly interested in the Symphony and Symphony classic.
After hearing several Youtube clips of several musicians playing Fides, I do like the sound they are producing both when playing classic and bigband music.Specially when hearing Ruben Simeo play

Here is a a nice comparison between the Fides Pioneer and Fides Symphony Classic, but I would love to here more reviews/comments on quality, sound and playability. Specially cause I don't have a dealer nearby (5 hour drive)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nlOazKZZW0

Thanks,
Cornet : Conn 80a (1919) with Curry 1,5 BBC + Curry 1,5 VC + GR L66,9 #6
Ximo_molina

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I am about to take up the matter again. currently I play with the fides symphony 8000 model (standard bell). I played a few years ago with the same model, but with a big bell (BBG). I am very happy with what this trumpet offers, but I would like your positive and negative opinions.

Thanks!

Carol Brass Toreador Bb
Bach C 239 Malone leadpipe
Yamaha631 flugel
Yamaha Xeno Cornet
Stomvi Titán piccolo
Stomvi élite Eb
GR mouthpieces
RL
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play the Fides Symphony BBG C trumpet.

It has the same intonation issues as my previous C trumpets.
The valves (made by Carol Brass ?) are OK but not that smooth.
I also had some problems to find the right mouthpiece for this model.
(before I played on the same mouthpiece for my B-flat and C-trumpets)

But...the sound of this model is really big, round and colorful.
I do not know if I would recommend this trumpet to other players, I personally like it but am still not sure if I keep it.

Well...not much of a help I guess...
HaveTrumpetWillTravel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a fides C professional second hand (with the funky slides) and really like it. If you can buy one on the cheap, I'd say go ahead, but if not I'd stick with a better known brand. Someone in one of the older threads had also noted that they can stick out a little and probably only work if you're playing for your own enjoyment. Valves and slides have been great for me, although one of the spitvalves seized up at one point. All of that said, I really love the trumpet and am grateful to have found it.
Evinerate
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Fides Jazz "2" trumpet in antique satin black finish, it was a very efficient horn. Slotting was a bit too tight like an Olds Super (for me at least) but it generally had an efficient .460 bore blow and I liked the sound it produced. I would say that most of the configurations of the Fides trumpet line are very capable lead horns regardless of what model name they go by.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evinerate wrote:
I had a Fides Jazz "2" trumpet in antique satin black finish, it was a very efficient horn. Slotting was a bit too tight like an Olds Super (for me at least) but it generally had an efficient .460 bore blow and I liked the sound it produced. I would say that most of the configurations of the Fides trumpet line are very capable lead horns regardless of what model name they go by.

Interesting statement.

How is it that you came to that opinion? Have you played a bunch of different configurations of the Fides trumpet line? Or is it based on the one that you owned?

I am not trying to challenge your opinion. I am just trying to quantify the research and data behind the opinion.
aspeyr1
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was fortunate to be able to go to the factory just outside of Valencia this past week.

They make MANY different configurations of trumpets. They all had their distinct qualities.

I tend to prefer the big bell Bb models but with lower weight.
I tried a big bell Bb lighter weight Large bore horn that has a “standard” shape tuning crook and loved the way it sounded/played.

They are also starting to produce an Eb/D trumpet that had great intonation with the sound of a more conventional C trumpet (not too bright but “easier” to manage the more nimble high concerto passages).

Also, their piccolo trumpets are very well made. I feel the sound is a bit broader than my current p5-4 but they also had their own characteristics based on which model and mouthpiece combination used.

They really make too many products and configurations to categorize them very broadly. It would be similar to ask, “what do you think about Bach or Yamaha trumpets?”

I think if you were able to find a distributor and try a dozen or so horns, you’d be able to find at least a couple that would suit your playing needs.

Sorry if this doesn’t help much, but overall, i had very good impressions of the trumpets in general.
Brianjones

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I had a chance to have a week with a Fides Luis Aquino. I don’t know which of the models that bore his name it was but it was fairly heavy, had a big bell and was silver plated. The markings I remember were BBG on the bell and Luis on the mouthpiece receiver.

It played really well. Great scale, great up top and it would make a lovely all round versatile trumpet. I was surprised as listening to Luis Aquino I expected a lighter weight possibly more commercial style trumpet. I don’t know why, prejudice maybe?

But with different mouthpieces you could make it almost flugel like with the HT Jazz and plug in a lead mouthpiece and it was great up top.

Anyway the Fides LA i played was a very very good thing.

All the best

brian jones
Trompette111

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never played Fides trumpet but I am very interested. Rubén Simeo plays fides trumpet and he is sounding top top top!
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trompette111 wrote:
I have never played Fides trumpet but I am very interested. Rubén Simeo plays fides trumpet and he is sounding top top top!

I owned one (Symphony bflat) and liked it a lot, but since I had about 20 other horns I sold it.....sorry I did as it may become a collector's classic...As to Simeo, I suspect he will sound great on any horn.....
Trompette111

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Claude1949 wrote:
Trompette111 wrote:

I owned one (Symphony bflat) and liked it a lot, but since I had about 20 other horns I sold it.....sorry I did as it may become a collector's classic...As to Simeo, I suspect he will sound great on any horn.....

Wow! What do you play as your main instrument?

I am in agreement! Rubén will sound amazing on all trumpets but he has chosen Fides especially.
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trompette111 wrote:
Claude1949 wrote:
Trompette111 wrote:

Wow! What do you play as your main instrument?

I am in agreement! Rubén will sound amazing on all trumpets but he has chosen Fides especially.

I play almost all of them as "main" did a lot of big band lead with my van Laar B6.......
Claude1949
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:37 am    Post subject: Check me out.... Reply with quote

https://soundcloud.com/claudeman-1/05-cgjazz2-5eq-mms

Playing a Van Laar B6 here & a few other ones
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: