• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

crossover from trumpet to flugelhorn

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CWBJr

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: crossover from trumpet to flugelhorn Reply with quote

I am experimenting with the flungelhorn after years on the trumpet. I want to get a mouthpiece for my Tromba that is close to the one I use on my trumpet. I use a Denis Wick 5C on trumpet. Am I right in trying to get one with the same cup diameter and rim thickness?
Looks like 4Fl is closest?
I want to minimize embrochure disruption but maintain. the rich sound of the fluget.
Any words of wisdom?
thanks
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same rim and cup diameter on your flugelhorn mouthpiece as you have on your trumpet mouthpiece promotes consistency in terms of response, flexibility and control. You just need a much deeper cup to get the classic flugelhorn sound.

Keep in mind that the technique on flugelhorn is a little different than the technique on trumpet in terms of lip positioning. Flugelhorn is a little more "into the cup."
JoseLindE4
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a different instrument, so for me, as long as my flugelhorn mouthpiece is pretty consistent, it doesn't matter how it relates to my trumpet mouthpiece. I prefer to find something that works and just get used to it.
LSOfanboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERMOKIWI wrote:
The same rim and cup diameter on your flugelhorn mouthpiece as you have on your trumpet mouthpiece promotes consistency in terms of response, flexibility and control. You just need a much deeper cup to get the classic flugelhorn sound.

Keep in mind that the technique on flugelhorn is a little different than the technique on trumpet in terms of lip positioning. Flugelhorn is a little more "into the cup."

I'm not sure I agree that there are any fundamental differences in technique.

That's more of a subjective individualistic opinion than accepted fact/school of thought.

Not criticising, but just pointing it out.

All the best
Rapier232
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer to use a mouthpiece that gives the sound I want. Switching between trumpet and Flugel is fine and I find it helps remind me to change the way I play if the mouthpiece is different.

Smith-Watkins Bb
Will Spencer Bb
Eclipse Flugel
Smith Watkins K2 Cornet
JP152 C Trumpet
Besson Bugle
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LSOfanboy wrote:
HERMOKIWI wrote:

I'm not sure I agree that there are any fundamental differences in technique.

That's more of a subjective individualistic opinion than accepted fact/school of thought.

Not criticising, but just pointing it out.

All the best

Here's an interview with Terell Stafford and Claudio Roditi:

https://jazztimes.com/columns/chops/flugelhorn-essentials-with-terell-stafford-claudio-roditi/

Both Stafford and Roditi make it clear that you do not approach playing the flugelhorn the same way you approach playing the trumpet.

Because there is less resistance with the flugelhorn there is less force pushing the lips back compared to the trumpet. This difference means that the flugelhorn is more "into the cup" than the trumpet in terms of lip positioning. The difference is sometimes described this way: You blow through a trumpet; you blow into a flugelhorn.
mafields627
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like a diameter that is a little smaller than what I usually use on trumpet. I feel like it gives me a little more support to compensate for the deeper cup.

No representation is made that the quality of this post is greater than the quality of that of any other poster. Oh, and get a teacher!
CWBJr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all who responded to my questions. I learned much from your comments and the articles you pointed me to. So now I just need to get practicing. Thank you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: