• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Bert Truax

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldscollector

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Bert Truax Reply with quote

I realize that Bert may not be a new subject here on this forum but I am excited about my recent experiences with him and the stamp method. I have seen him only four times so far and from the first lesson I was playing with so much less tension it was hard to believe. By the end of the second lesson my articulation and tongue placement/ level had improved just as much. By the end of my 4th lesson I could could comfortably play an exercise that started on peddle C went up to High C and back down to peddle C in one breath. Its not one of those situations where you get it in the lesson, then you go home and it seems to get lost. The way Bert teaches Stamp I really get it & keep it. This is intended to be more about Bert than GR mputhpieces but I did have him fit me for a GR trumpet and flugel mouthpiece which combined with the Stamp method (and about 3 hours a day) are working better than anything ever has for me. One lesson with him will make a difference but if you really want to find out what is holding you back and how to fix it I suggest you give him several opportunities. His rate is very reasonable and his personality is a joy.

Have a great day,
Rick Wilson
SatchmoGillespie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can attest to Bert and his teaching. I studied with him shortly after I decided I wanted to really play again and he made a difference in my playing. By no means am I a monster player but I feel like I definitely improved by leaps and bounds thanks to him.
Getzen Severinsen
Kanstul 1525 Flugelhorn
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bert is a great teacher. I took a lesson from him when he was visiting family in the Atlanta area. He gave me some real insights on the Stamp method. I highly recommend him. He is also one heck of a nice guy!

Mike
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second that! My teacher supplemented lessons with the Truax DVD on the Stamp method. Not giving away the direction of the next note but landing there smoothly, crisply, any way you're supposed to without tipping your hand. That is but one of the great things conveyed to us, via Bert, from that little book and the James Stamp.
mcstock
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I studied with Bert for about three years in the late 90s. Besides the Stamp he did a great job of finding all the odd gaps in my training. I remember playing lots of Charlier and Bitsch etudes. Apart from playing, he's been like a big brother to a couple of generations of guys in Dallas.

Recently he recorded a couple of solos I wrote about in my dissertation about the solos used at Charlier's school, the Liege (Belgium) Conservatory. At some point we hope to do a CD with more of this literature.

Morceau de Concert by Paul Gilson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij-EnmCO95I

Dans le Style Ancien by Alphonse Goeyens
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxuGsW46-4M

Enjoy,

Matt Stock
TrumpetDan79
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by TrumpetDan79 on Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:50 am; edited 2 times in total
Big Dave88
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is doing work with Peter Pickett -

http://www.pickettbrass.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1011

He came up with this piece that can just about do anything, and sounds amazing. (we went back and forth, and it sounded noticeably better than his old GR) The articulation in particular I was pretty blown away by - no pun intended. Exceedingly crisp. When I have the money I'm getting one.

Also make no mistake, Bert can still pick out when something in someones' equipment isn't right. He may not be endorsed by GR anymore (frankly I think it's their loss) but he can consult you on anything you need.

I took about a dozen or so lessons with him. Master teacher indeed. He has done it all, plays like a beast, and knows his stuff. He QUICKLY got me to the next level - and the level after that. It was just one thing after another that just kept clicking into place for me, so dang fast too. He was amazing. His experience really is unparalleled, and it shows up in his teaching. Asides from that, he is just about the nicest, most down to earth, passionate and compassionate man you could hope to meet. Very much a friend as well as a teacher.

If you are ever in DFW get a lesson from him. You definitely will not regret it.

*BigDave is not affiliated with or endorsed by Bert Truax or Peter Pickett in any way. Commercial now over.
Chase Domke

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As one of his most recent students, I can attest to his amazing skills as a teacher. I came to him an average trumpet player, and he helped to hone my skills to be a top tier player for my age and put me on the track to success. I’m now studying trumpet performance at Peabody Conservatory and couldn’t be more thankful.
Yamaha 9636 Eb/D
Schilke P5-4
trumpetherald
System Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Bert knows his stuff. And you're right, he's helped a large number of players over the last 3 decades. Very impressive.

-td
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> James Stamp All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: